View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nabetse

re: Censorship

Could it be?

http://americancensorship.org/

Troubling news.. since it will be the end of youtube, facebook, tumblr, and so much more.

/discuss

Edit:

Added second link:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/10/idUS211494328220111110

Last edited by Nabetse on November 17, 2011 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Sticx45

The real reason behind this bill (from my understanding) is an attempt to attack illegal users of the net. IE many streaming services from other countries that stream copied material against copyright laws. Criminal organizations that use the internet to communicate and facilitate planning.

The reason many people are freaking out over it, is the very liberal wording and context used in the bill that could be used to infringe on many freedom's at will. Similar to the homeland security act that can be used to broad blanket many other freedom's at the governments will with little oversight from a community non-government power.
Gryffon Etheras
travisccook
Tech Officer

Awarded:

This sounds dangerously political.

Since it's heavily tied to Internet Culture and nerdiness, I'm going to keep it open with a little warning to all to keep this focused on the implications of a law and it's impact on technology. No political mudslinging, discussion, tomfoolery, or horseplay. No running. Keep your hands to yourself.

Love,
-TC

Taic

I really hope this bill does not pass. I for one am not a fan of piracy, but the entertainment industry has a lot of tools it can use to defend itself. If there is no abuse of power that is inherited within the bill, then I do not see any changes for the typical American Internet user however.

ISPs have tried for many years to censor certain Internet materials and try to throttle or dis-allow torrent downloads. I see this in the same context, and firmly believe that those who wish to download materials will find ways to do so, regardless of the actions taken of the copy-right holder to the material.

Nabetse

Sticx45 wrote:
The real reason behind this bill (from my understanding) is an attempt to attack illegal users of the net. IE many streaming services from other countries that stream copied material against copyright laws. Criminal organizations that use the internet to communicate and facilitate planning.

The reason many people are freaking out over it, is the very liberal wording and context used in the bill that could be used to infringe on many freedom's at will. Similar to the homeland security act that can be used to broad blanket many other freedom's at the governments will with little oversight from a community non-government power.

Exactly.

Taic wrote:
I really hope this bill does not pass. I for one am not a fan of piracy, but the entertainment industry has a lot of tools it can use to defend itself. If there is no abuse of power that is inherited within the bill, then I do not see any changes for the typical American Internet user however.

ISPs have tried for many years to censor certain Internet materials and try to throttle or dis-allow torrent downloads. I see this in the same context, and firmly believe that those who wish to download materials will find ways to do so, regardless of the actions taken of the copy-right holder to the material.

Well Taic, in my opinion; the fact that they will censor facebook and youtube alone will give a lot of changes.

What I wonder is: why would they want to censor/control/monitor facebook and other sites if they only want to eliminate piracy, why would they need to touch this unrelated sites?

I agree with you, ISPs have tried, and some have even managed to block the sites entirely, but as you said, there will always be another way.
Boat Van

Two words: Slippery Slope.
Areku99

If this passes, I'm going to ask Gaiutus to distract the border guards for me :P

Seriously though, this is too slippery a slope. The RIAA is evil, MPAA slightly less evil, and there's nothing we can do. This could cause a *lot* of problems, social and economic (Facebook is vital to the economy nowadays), but I guess there's nothing that we can do.

Wow... I understand why they are doing this, it is just depressing.

gagebass

while i have yet to ead much on the bill from what i have read i can say im 99% sure it wont pass and if it does im 100% sure it will be vetoed soon after

Hmm...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/10/idUS211494328220111110
ATownArmy
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

As I've been employed now by the Department of Defense and the Department of State I can confidently say that I am pretty sure the US Government read Orwell's 1984 like Erector Set instructions. The depth that censorship and monitoring is amazing to see. However, that said, it's nothing compared to 75% of this world's population in countries like China, Pakistan, and most of the Middle East and Africa.

Areku99 wrote:
If this passes, I'm going to ask Gaiutus to distract the border guards for me :P

Seriously though, this is too slippery a slope. The RIAA is evil, MPAA slightly less evil, and there's nothing we can do. This could cause a *lot* of problems, social and economic (Facebook is vital to the economy nowadays), but I guess there's nothing that we can do.

If anything happens in this country that we as a majority populous cannot change then im joining Gai or some of our euro members! LOL we had a healthcare bill pass that the majority of this country diss approved of! LUNACY! I will not go further into this rant because I will anger the Travis Happy

/duck

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: