View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

re: Super off-topic: Pens/keys scratching khakis?

I've asked Google about this and not getting anything I'm looking for...

Any of you other folks that wear beige Khaki pants to work... I've noticed I put my pens or work keys in the pockets, and they create black marks all around the pocket area... it's not ink, I know that for sure, and keys do it too.  

What's up with this?  Is there any way to clean those marks out?  Is it more of a scratch like I think so it's unfixable?   HALP!!!

So, this is inside or outside the pocket area?  Can you post a photo?

I've found outside is usually at pocket area from where the stuff bulges out causing you to make inadvertent contact with your car/vehicle, which has dirt from being outside.  Zout will usually get this out.

Interior-wise, keys and pens have grime that build up from being constantly handled and, for the keys, being inserted into locks where there is machine oil, etc.  This too should come out with Zout, though you may need the gel instead of the spray.

If it is ink, though, then you can try an enzymatic cleaner.  They make it specifically for ink stains in very small yellow bottles sold at Walmart.  Fortunately, this does not sound like it is the case for you b/c I've found gel pens leak into the pocket liners and over time through to the exterior, and it is freaking hard to get out.  45 minutes on one pair of pants due to this...

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

So it's definitely on the outside, people can see the marks if they look closely and it's very noticeable.  I'm 99.9% certain it's not ink, and I'm 99.5% certain it's not my pants brushing up against things.  It definitely doesn't come out in the wash with normal detergent.  I'll have to post a photo and try this Zout stuff!

I used to get black tracks on my khakis too, on the outside, and shocked as I was it was from rubbing up against the car.  It was like an unending mystery until one day I happened to catch it in process.  It made little black stripes on the outside of the pockets, and it would happen when I was loading and unloading stuff.  Had you asked me if it was from my car before I noticed this myself, I'd have said, "No way," because it doesn't look right.

That said, there are a million things it could be, but I find Zout works better than Shout and gets most stuff out.  The gel works better than the spray at getting most stuff out. 

Tiffs/Hugtastic
Officer

It could be from your seat belt or bottom of your desk, if it rubs up against your pocket when carrying your keys or coins in your pocket

Dawn usually works getting those stains out. Just rub some dawn on the spot and let it soak for a bit

Awarded:

Haven't noticed this issue myself. I generally don't keep my keys in my pocket though.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: