View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

re: LOTRO Limited Time: automatic level 50 character

For those of you that have LOTRO and 4999 turbine points (easy if you were a lifetime subscriber and they are just piling up!), from Dec 13-Dec 19 (that is less than 2 days away) you can automatically level up to level 50 and head to Moria :)

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?534791-Become-Legendary-Gift-of-the-Valar-For-a-limited-time-Dec-13th-%E2%80%93-19th

Awarded:

Man I wish I had gotten that lifetime sub. :/

Place your trust in the Swishtem, for the Swishtem trusts you.
Satiata
Member - 5 Years

mh. tempting. I have about 3000 TP. how much do TP cost? lol.

*slaps self*

no, sati, no, you don't have the moneyz! -.-

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Swishiest
SwishiestBog
Veteran Officer

Awarded:

It's like 100 = 1 dollar.

Satiata
Member - 5 Years

yeh I just checked the pack I'd need would cost me about 20€

I'm a little tempted I have to admit that, but a char transfer is 21.95€ and my highest char is 65 so... mh... lol

edit: nevermind. apparently character transfer is .still. down. I bet as soon as I buy me some coins for a higher character transfer will be made available. lol

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Tastierkakes
Tastierkakes
Officer

Not that I have time to add another MMO to my life, but for the people who have played both extensively, how does SWTOR and LOTRO compare?  I'm assuming that you found SWTOR more enjoyable in the end but was LOTRO worth your time?  Are the mechanics similar to SWTOR? 

I'm just curious...I really don't think I can fit another MMO into my life, but I love the LOTR universe in general.

Cmelt

Hope this helps. Might not be completely accurate but it covers the bases reasonably well.

http://www.swtorhub.com/lotro-vs-swtor-tale-two-sagas

Oh and keep in mind the swtor data in that article is super outdated.

"The high destiny of the individual is to serve rather than to rule" -Albert Einstein
Satiata
Member - 5 Years

mh. well.

first off: it takes a lot longer to reach max level in lotro in general. (though that of course also depends on your playstyle, but in swtor you can make it to max in a matter of a few days, where in lotro that would probably be a far stretch)

combat is a lot slower, and like in pvp in swtor you have to always face your opponent in lotro even in pve

pvp in lotro is also very different since there are no opposing factions - and no pvp-server. you have the so-called 'monster play' instead, which is done in a specific area, and the 'monsters' are normal player from your server (you can unlock your monster characters when you're lvl 10 iirc)

lotro has a lot more 'fluff' than swtor has. housing, for example, and of course the music playing (you can 'learn' instruments and then play songs, either manually or download files to have them play in-game, even sync them with your party when you play different instruments)

it has less variety at end-game, but of course quite a bit more 'in general' since it's been around longer. I don't know how relevant the old dungeons are these days, though, since there have been a lot of changes made since the last time I actually did 'end-game' (I stopped playing 'seriously' roughly the same time SWTOR went into late beta :P)

I'd say both games make people happy when they are into the whole universe, and there's a lot of 'background lore' in lotro, so same as in SWTOR, if you know more than just the 'basics' you will find yourself nerding out hardcore in LOTRO. lol (the game is mostly based on the LOTR books of course, but you get a lot of background info on the first and second age, 'lost' information, meet people mentioned in other 'middle earth works', some of the lore is based on tolkien's son's stuff, the hobbit found its way into the game long before there was talk about making it a movie.. things like that)

it's of course a little dated, but I still find the graphics to be quite nice. the events are a lot of fun (drinking games, haunted house for halloween, a labyrinth during summer, fist fights... lol)

all in all I'd say lotro has a few more 'iconic' moments than SWTOR does. I have to say the first time my kinship fought the balrog was pretty awesome, and of course the questline when your character first steps into moria is pretty epic

I honestly can't even say I enjoy SWTOR more, not in general. I still enjoy lotro a lot, I just don't play it 'seriously' anymore. I was in a hardcore progression kinship (including being main raid healer.. ugh) before I stopped playing and I got a little 'burned out' on it.

oh yeah. I played lotro for roughly 3 years regularly before it became an 'every once in a while' thing. definitely worth my time. which game I like better over all I will be able to say in about a year's time :P

edit: I gave in. my hunter is now lvl 50. lol -.-

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Swishiest
SwishiestBog
Veteran Officer

Awarded:

I will also say LOTRO is more old-fashioned.

Which makes sense, it's an old MMO now.
I'll go back once every month to do a week of crafting or some such. Swtor crafting always makes me miss it, which they could easily fix but that's what it is.

Overall, it's a fun time, ESPECIALLY if you're a heavy LOTR nerd. Exploring Bree, taking the journey to Rivendell. So many nerdgasms.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Ask me in TS, I don't want to type a huge response Happy  these guys covered it well though

It's an MMO that gets the Cmelt stamp of approval. That's all anyone needs to know

"The high destiny of the individual is to serve rather than to rule" -Albert Einstein
P-Rife
PolishRifle
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

I got this in a Humble Bundle which I thought was weird for a FTP game.  I haven't downloaded it yet though, maybe I'll give it a try.  Which class has the assault cannon and electro-net?

EDIT:  I looked at the bundle and saw it was for a Steely Dawn starter pack, 500 turbines, 5 100% XP boosts, a cosmetic armor set and an Evendim quest pack.

Crasic

Cmelt wrote:

It's an MMO that gets the Cmelt stamp of approval. That's all anyone needs to know

This.

Jump to: