View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satiata
Member - 5 Years

re: best RPGs out there

I'm pretty sure there's a topic about this sooooomewhere on the forums with lots of replies from 2010 (:P) so I figured I might as well open a new one. let's talk about single player rpgs!

there's sooo many great rpgs out there that some people may have forgotten (I always forget great stuff) or just plain want to share :P

let's start off by the great game that is

Forum Image

Baldur's Gate

the game that made Bioware big.
the game that forged the way to future hits we ended up loving (kotor, dragon age and so on)

set in the city of the same name, Baldur's Gate is part of the 'Forgotten Realms' and therefore had a lot of lore to work with. the rules are the second age of D&D. typical for that you can chose the alignments ranging from lawful good up to chaotic evil which will also change depending on your choices in-game (though I have never personally played really evil. apparently those options are more of an 'after thought' and a little blant)

we deal with great character developement considering the age of the game (15 years is a long time in video games!)

gameplay-wise we have the typical Bioware (and otherwise copied) clicking and pausing set that we still see in later games of the studio (to those who didn't know this: there's a setting in Dragon Age Origins where you can scroll into the 'old school' top down view and play like that)

your party can have up to 6 members - so yes, it can become quite hectic at times ;)

I can personally say, if I had to pick a favourite RPG of all times for me, it would definitely be this game. I still play it every once in a while, after all these years Happy

ps: apparently there is now a version of this game available for the ipod. interesting

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Wylan
jpotter56
Veteran

Awarded:

RPGs that I am a fan of are: The Fallout series, Planescape: Torment (Sequel coming soon,) and early Final Fantasies (Up to 10)

Awarded:

Yeah, I love the fallout series. I think fallout 4 is coming soon. I hope they keep the theme song. Brotherhood of Steel should be in it. I wonder if they improved it more than skyrim. skyrim has the best graphics for them atm so i hope that fallout 4 improves it.

um... i had some others but i forgot... ugh. still fallout is alot of fun.

I wanted to talk about one game at a time or have people actually post something about one specific game they like :P

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Matieu.

I'd have to go for KOTOR, just because I love the whole Star Wars universe, the amazing Storyline, and how many times you can just replay it. I love this game so damn much, and it got me into SWTOR and MMO's in general, so that's a plus.

Veteran Officer

Awarded:

The Witcher 1

The Witcher takes place in a fictional universe. You play as the Witcher, a mutated monster slayer, named Geralt.

Gameplay wise it's quite similar to KoToR as in you have indirect control over your character in fights. However the fighting does have a bit more clicking to be done. Well timed combos and magic attacks make the combat feel more engaging.

A big part of the game is making potions. The potions can literally mean life and death, where some fights can be incredibly hard to win without the use of said potions.

The story, while not the best, has one of the better twists and the choices you can make really do feel as if they have an effect on the world and how you play. Some quests and options become locked out as you make these choices so it offers quite a bit of replayability.

All in all, I'd say the Witcher 1 would have to be in contention for being game of the year.

Last edited by SwishiestBog on May 8, 2013 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Place your trust in the Swishtem, for the Swishtem trusts you.
Skíp
Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

I've been a huge fan of the Fire Emblem series since they started releasing the games in North America, and have even gone back and played several of the earlier Japan-only games in the series. While I've loved that each new game is mechanically slightly different than the ones before, I'd have to say that Fire Emblem: Awakening, the latest game in the series, manages to tie up pretty much everything that I ever liked about every single other game in the series. At the same time, there are so many ways to customize the difficulty (I jumped right into the hard mode, since I know these games pretty well, and was legitimately challenged by quite a few of the chapters, and the Lunatic mode is really making me work) that it can be enjoyable for a very wide range of people.

I haven't had so much fun with a single player game in a very long time.

Huvey Skirtstalker

Havent really played alot of RPGs, but I have played Dragon Age 1 and 2, and both games where fantastic in my opinion!

Problem is, after I started playing SWTOR, I havent really played any other game at all.
I got that big release Skyrim i think it was called. But i never started to play it. I played maybe 30 minutes, untill I still couldnt figure out how to zoom out so you could see your character. So I forfeited.

Is there a way to zoom out in Skyrim, or do you have to play it 1st person?

Satiata
Member - 5 Years

guuuuuys. you all fail. you could at least try and show a little more passion

(no really, I thought we'd put some actual discription up, not just state 'I like this game' :/)

Asuka'Raein - Sage
P-Rife
PolishRifle
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

Huvey Skirtstalker wrote:
Havent really played alot of RPGs, but I have played Dragon Age 1 and 2, and both games where fantastic in my opinion!

Problem is, after I started playing SWTOR, I havent really played any other game at all.
I got that big release Skyrim i think it was called. But i never started to play it. I played maybe 30 minutes, untill I still couldnt figure out how to zoom out so you could see your character. So I forfeited.

Is there a way to zoom out in Skyrim, or do you have to play it 1st person?

Yeah there is a way to switch to a 3rd person POV, on xbox i think its right thumbstick button

Swishiest
SwishiestBog
Veteran Officer

Awarded:

Also as for Baldur's Gate, I've only ever played the second one. I have tried to get a copy but either funds or lack of effort has stopped me.

I do know the gameplay and the style is quite consistent with each game though. I have to say, the characters are easily some of the most well thought out people, having great depth and being unique.

Place your trust in the Swishtem, for the Swishtem trusts you.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Gaming and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: