View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wylan
jpotter56
Veteran

Awarded:

re: Minor Crisis... major crisis averted

So... there I was, minding my own business, my Pepsi Max on my desk. My pup desired a treat. I reach to get her said treat and my Pepsi decided that it wanted to intimately know the innards of my computer. Pulled the power cord out of the power supply. Now my comp is rather disassembled, drying out. I think I averted any damage, time will tell. Any advice?

Add this to the sad event that I soft bricked my phone last night installing a rom on to it. Still need to fix that event as well. Marvelous couple days for technology and I.

I feel your pain! This is my third $1000+ laptop in 6 months!

"The high destiny of the individual is to serve rather than to rule" -Albert Einstein
Satiata
Member - 5 Years

Cmelt wrote:
I feel your pain! This is my third $1000+ laptop in 6 months!

*refrains from commenting*

either way, hope you fix this, potter. good luck!

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Wylan
jpotter56
Veteran

Awarded:

Hopefully I can get it back up and running today, but I doubt it'll be in time for Denova, as I gotta be back to work for training in a few hours for training and I am in need of a nap

If there's residue left on the boards, and you don't know how to safely get it off, here's a guide. It's a little labour intensive, but effective. I've had a couple boards get mussed up, and this way works.

http://www.parod.net/how-to-fix-a-water-damaged-motherboard-with-rubbing-alcohol/

Edit: I totally reread that and it sounded like an ad. Blah.

Uvillig wrote:
If there's residue left on the boards, and you don't know how to safely get it off, here's a guide. It's a little labour intensive, but effective. I've had a couple boards get mussed up, and this way works.

http://www.parod.net/how-to-fix-a-water-damaged-motherboard-with-rubbing-alcohol/

Edit: I totally reread that and it sounded like an ad. Blah.

Just saw this thread now...this is a great recommendation. That's always how I try to rescue my damaged items.

Water's a bit easier to deal with Soda, Soda or other beverages usually have solids that don't evaporate, that's where the alcohol is really a plus. If it wasn't totally submerged you can usually let water damaged circuits just air dry.

For things small enough to fit, like cell phones, putting it in a bowl of uncooked rice usually works the quickest. Rice looooooves water. I've seen that save phones left in the toilet and puddles that were completely submerged.

I have completely submerged my old Iphone twice to test the rice trick. Once the phone actually kept working without needing rice, and the second time after leaving it for a second I had to use the rice. It worked but one of the speakers doesn't work anymore.

"The high destiny of the individual is to serve rather than to rule" -Albert Einstein
Wylan
jpotter56
Veteran

Awarded:

re: Major and Minor Crisis AVERTED!

As for the alcohol trick... used that when I was in my maintenance school on my final soldering practical. Worked like a champ. Right now my comp is POSTing, but not getting in to windows or rebooting when something is telling it to reboot, with the exception of the reset switch. Getting closer though.

UPDATE! IT'S ALIVE! big grin

Yay! Welcome back!

Satiata
Member - 5 Years

yay :D

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Yay Wylan! I just noticed this thread... man that sucks man! Glad you have it running!

Jump to: