View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

re: Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3

Ok, so let's talk about these games, because I'd like to know ahead of time if we're going to lose any members to them.

I myself will say I'm a little interested in GW2, only because it's free monthly. I'm kind of skeptical about it, and intrigued. How can they afford to maintain servers and have constant updates like TOR or WoW without keeping up revenue? Do they have microtransactions or something?

Since it's a one time payment of $50, I may buy it and try it out, and maybe join Solace to play it, I'd like to try other games' PvP... but I would certainly still play SWTOR actively, no need to worry there :P

Is it true in GW2 the level cap is pretty low, so that all people can get to cap quickly and just fight? What kind of PvP does it have?

Awarded:

I really enjoyed reading this article, they change up the trinity a lot it looks like:

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/healing-death/

Awarded:

I'm definitely excited about both of them. I was a HUGE fan of D1 and D2 and have heard a lot of negative reports on D3, but I think people wanted them to reinvent the game, because in their eyes a hack n slash game wouldnt be competative with MMORPGs oin gameplay, but I think that you have to compare it to itself and how much you enjoy it. I think I'm going to like it.

As far as GW2, I'm really excited to get my hands dirty and jump into the game. Luckily when it comes out I'll have plenty of time for it and SWTOR. So I definitely see myself leveling fast and getting in some PvP so at the very least I can compare to TOR. I think having GW2 launch and be successful is good for TOR as it will keep them having to better their product to stay competative. In a world of capitalistic competition, the consumer wins!

All-in-all, I'm super stoked. And everypony remember, you can only be in 1 SWTOR guild, but you are more than welcome to join another guild for other games, and we'd HIGHLY suggest Solace, as it is a multi-gaming guild made up of ex-Pax buddies that just didnt want to play TOR, so the community is tight and welcoming, and the atmosphere is friendly.

Just like in guild wars 1, the main way they brought in revenue was through the multitude of expansions they cough out. Guild wars one had about 4 expansions(3 technically, the 4th was more of a massive "DLC") over the course of about 6 months to a year.

This game is mostly PvP and it's a really great game if you're in to epic pvp combat.

I've played in 8 v 8 v 8 v 8 combat before with all teams fighting control over a middle section.

The gear cap is extremely low and everyone has equal gear/skills(assuming you take the time to "capture" them). The only thing that separated gear from other gear is the customized appearance.

I'm thinking about picking it up but with my previous experience of guild wars, I might just get bored with it after less than 8 or so months. It took me about a couple months to unlock literally everything short of the rarest armors.

We'll see how guild wars 2 does though.
Arkathos

Quick point form version since Tris wants to watch Monty Python lol (Based on our experience from the last Beta):

For Guild Wars 2

1. Character Levels max out at 80.

2. Quests run on "Events" with a class story that has structure. Events work like this;
You are walking down a road past a cave. Suddenly, a pack of 15 centaurs 2 levels higher than you come bursting out of the woods and rush past you knocking you down heading towards the cave. A notification flashes saying that the "Insert Name Here" is under attack and needs your help! Turns out the cave is a spawn point (teleport location) and as long as it is under attack, or if we fail to defend it - no one can spawn there until it is liberated later.

You rush up the path to flank the Centaur force while the guards are cut down and the players inside are fighting. Meanwhile another wave shows up behind you and you're getting flanked yourself! You get knocked down into the "Fight To Survive" mode and right before you die, a small party of players arrives and cleans them out. While the main group fights a Guardian runs up, puts a shield over you and them, and revives you. Once you're up you join the fight and the enemy is beaten in no time! You get great xp, gold, karma, and if you are lucky, some great items. The point is now open for travel again. (Taken from one of my own event experiences. Much shorter than the long version lol)
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii566/Arkathos/gw012.jpg
Epic Boss Fight in a swamp. Took about 20 of us to take it down, great loot.

3. The graphics on Ultra mode are absolutely beautiful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKeTQUMDLqo&feature=plcp - short video I made of the beta for members who couldn't make it. Make sure to change the settings to 1080 HD viewing!

4. Exploring is amazing, and the underwater world is just beautiful.
Here is a picture of me...with a dolphin. Older Pax members will get this lol.
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii566/Arkathos/gw002.jpg

5. Crafting is pretty fun.
Gather the materials, make the pieces for each piece for the piece you want to make. Want to make a helmet? Make the copper outline, the cloth inside, the leather padding, then put it together. You also discover new crafting recipes by experimenting - put 3 things together properly and you may learn a great new piece of gear.

6. PVP is the best ever in my opinion.
If you enjoyed the keep assaults of Warhammer online, and incredible open world with siege engines, supply trains, and burning oil at the gates, with upwards of 200 people per side with no lag (on good computers), then this is what you want! I got to be a siege golem after we got enough supplies to build it - hah, that was amusing...crush the puny people.
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii566/Arkathos/gw010.jpg
I'm a Siege Golem!

The only negative thing I could come up with from the Beta was the tough time people had grouping up due to huge numbers of people flooding servers, and going to the overflow server. (great design by the way. No ques, play and get put into the real server when space is made seamlessly.) Arenanet has said they are working on fixing the problem, and grouping will be easier in the next beta.

After playing GW1 for 4 years straight when I was younger, I can say this game is nothing like it in many good ways, yet has a lot of the best things remaining. Trolling was basically non-existant, think worst I heard was some guy as a large, ugly Charr saying he wanted to sleep with someone's mom. People told him to shut up and a mod actually spawned next to him and killed him saying "No, you cannot sleep with their mom. Now die." <-- Now that is a great Game Moderator!

Well, that's my most point form version I could do. Damn, once I started it went from point form to paragraphs ugh. Sorry! (Tris is mad I took so long hah) Night lol.

Last minute edit:
we'd HIGHLY suggest Solace, as it is a multi-gaming guild made up of ex-Pax buddies that just didnt want to play TOR, so the community is tight and welcoming, and the atmosphere is friendly.
Before getting too excited make sure to have Atown point you to the Charter and "How To Apply" page to see how we operate.

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
Satiata
Member - 5 Years

heh. I honestly care about neither.

I was never thrilled by the Diablo IP, maybe because my dad and my sister played it so often at times, I don't know. lol.

GW2? tried it both in 2010 and 2011 at gamescom, was not impressed. in fact in '11 I gave my spot to my sister after about 5-10 minutes (you were allowed to play for an hour)

it's just not my kind of game, at all. dynamic events annoyed me even back in rift beta already, so I know these wouldn't keep me in the long run. the only interesting part is really the PVP, but even that won't keep me interested, because I do need my PVE. and I do need my holy trinity...

knowing myself I'll probably get it once it becomes cheaper, even if only to play with my sister because she's reaaaally looking forward to the game. but it's definitely not going to drag me away from TOR. the only game that can manage that is TOR itself

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Arkathos

It's definitely not for everyone, just as TOR wasn't, nor WoW, or any game that's for sure. Happy But negative feedback's just as important!

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
Satiata
Member - 5 Years

well, up to a certain point I guess. really, I am the kind of person that even sticks to a game up to a certain point if the people that make it fun are around, which is why I might even end up actually playing... I've not done anything with my old guild in about 2 years now (last game was forsaken world and I just couldn't stomach that game as much as I wanted to. lol, even the weird alien dragon in the guild castle couldn't help)

guild wars 2 might have some interesting pvp part and who knows, it could be some 'in between' game, after all it's free... but I'd honestly feel bad joining people when I know I'd never ever dedicate myself to it. especially as I know that I will try FFXIV again when 2.0 releases next year.

(damn there are just too many games coming out!)

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Brandoe C

Played D2 for about 8 mice duration's so I'm excited to play D3. Will this new iteration be able to hold my attention? The jury is still out on that one. It's a fun game for a bit but loses it's shine after time, once you've leveled your character and are relegated to doing magic find runs over and over to till your 6th or 7th mouse dies.

I guess it depends on how fresh they can keep the game and not fall back on the old "It's a new game now we changed the rules" But i don't see it taking too much of my time this time around. But I have been know to be wrong...from time to time.

As for Guild Wars I think I put about a year and a half to 2 years into it. At the end I think my account got hacked and stolen and I really didn't care I just uninstalled it. I didn't even buy the last expansions since the PvE progression character wise (lvl 20) was so boring. And i never found the PvP to be that OMFG THIS AMAZING!

That being said i may give it a go round but i doubt that it will keep my interest past a month or two. The other reason, and this is the same reason i never played WOW is because I'm not a big Fantasy gamer anymore they just don't do it for me.

Photobucket
AstralProjection

I'd have some interest in GW2...I think D2 is going to be my last Diablo Game. Kind of like Shawn said, knowing that there's no monthly fee would make it a little easier for me to pick up, and the diminished leveling aspect.

As it is I really only have time for TOR, and would rather devote my time to that, but since there would be little time investment necessary to play GW2 I'd do it if we had a lot of members interested in trying it.

I'm a TOR fanboi through and through, mainly because I care about Star Wars way more than generic fantasy, which I've had tons of in my life. Good Star Wars games have been far rarer, and I still think this one has a bright future. I'm in TOR for the long haul, until the servers implode and suck Georg Zoeller and Daniel Erickson into the abyss with them.

I'm also a PVP lover through and through, and that's what would attract me to GW2, and it being "casual" friendly. Would be nice to see some old nerf herders that I miss as well (Alex)!

Awarded:

ATownArmy wrote:
I think having GW2 launch and be successful is good for TOR as it will keep them having to better their product to stay competative. In a world of capitalistic competition, the consumer wins!

YES! CLAP CLAP CLAP! I'm glad someone else appreciates this idea Happy

And lol at the Dolphin Alex... Happy

I'll be applying for GW2 today.

So Diablo 3... I looked around and I still don't really get it... it seems like a multiplayer version of Buldur's Gate, with it's combat style. It's a bit more interactive than your normal MMO, as you're hacking and slashing, but you aren't part of a bigger world, you're kind of doing instanced missions, right? Doesn't seem super interesting to me but I can see the appeal.

Nwahs Nirom wrote:
ATownArmy wrote:
I think having GW2 launch and be successful is good for TOR as it will keep them having to better their product to stay competative. In a world of capitalistic competition, the consumer wins!

So Diablo 3... I looked around and I still don't really get it... it seems like a multiplayer version of Buldur's Gate, with it's combat style. It's a bit more interactive than your normal MMO, as you're hacking and slashing, but you aren't part of a bigger world, you're kind of doing instanced missions, right? Doesn't seem super interesting to me but I can see the appeal.

Never played 1 or 2? Yeah, it's similar to Baldur's Gate. The first one was around the same era. '98 for #2, if I remember right. The quests aren't "instanced", anybody in your game can join in. However, if it works like #2, if they're behind they don't get quest credit - they have to be on the same one as you. A lot of people used servers for Open PvP, especially in the first zone for some reason.

Yeah, it's generic. But there are a near-infinite amount of random items, extremely rare drop class-specific sets, powerful weapons, runes, gems, potions, and the like. (Speaking of #2 since my comp hated the beta). With each class having 3 trees, and each tree having 10-15 abilities, there were a buckton of possible skill routes - the level cap is 99, and that's how many points you get to spend, plus a few for quest rewards. No two people ever build the same. My preference, for example, was a Thorns Aura, Vengeance spamming Paladin. Why? Because I deal random elemental damage to you, and you hurt yourself when you smack me. That's one of many potential builds. It's a simple story, but the world reshapes itself every time you start a new server (not in Singleplayer or LAN games), the enemies get harder the more people there are in the game and drop better loot (console commands for SP), and the like.

While not a "true" sandbox, there was a lot you could do in the game - competitive ladders online made it even more appealing. Especially when you added in Hardcore mode - Only 1 life. You die, you're done and have to reroll. With 7 classes... Paladin, Barbarian, Sorceress, Amazon, Necromancer, as well as Assassin and Druid if you have the expac (Hint: You should), there was a lot of possibility to play around with.

Awarded:

Maereth wrote:
Nwahs Nirom wrote:
ATownArmy wrote:

Never played 1 or 2? Yeah, it's similar to Baldur's Gate. The first one was around the same era. '98 for #2, if I remember right. The quests aren't "instanced", anybody in your game can join in. However, if it works like #2, if they're behind they don't get quest credit - they have to be on the same one as you. A lot of people used servers for Open PvP, especially in the first zone for some reason.

Yeah, it's generic. But there are a near-infinite amount of random items, extremely rare drop class-specific sets, powerful weapons, runes, gems, potions, and the like. (Speaking of #2 since my comp hated the beta). With each class having 3 trees, and each tree having 10-15 abilities, there were a buckton of possible skill routes - the level cap is 99, and that's how many points you get to spend, plus a few for quest rewards. No two people ever build the same. My preference, for example, was a Thorns Aura, Vengeance spamming Paladin. Why? Because I deal random elemental damage to you, and you hurt yourself when you smack me. That's one of many potential builds. It's a simple story, but the world reshapes itself every time you start a new server (not in Singleplayer or LAN games), the enemies get harder the more people there are in the game and drop better loot (console commands for SP), and the like.

While not a "true" sandbox, there was a lot you could do in the game - competitive ladders online made it even more appealing. Especially when you added in Hardcore mode - Only 1 life. You die, you're done and have to reroll. With 7 classes... Paladin, Barbarian, Sorceress, Amazon, Necromancer, as well as Assassin and Druid if you have the expac (Hint: You should), there was a lot of possibility to play around with.

Hrm, does seem kind of cool... and is this a monthly subscription?

Before I got my first beta invite for SWTOR I was really excited for D3, I was so jazzed for it to come out that I re-bought a copy of D2 (Couldn't find my old disks) and rushed a couple chars to 85-90ish. After doing so I was right back to just going through the motions grinding Baal runs and MFing the same old that I had spent years doing already. Around the same time my SWTOR beta invite came and I dropped D2 like a hot potato and haven't looked back. After the NDA was dropped from D3 and some gameplay videos started coming out I became even less enthused for it. Just the same old game that has been played for so many years, couple new tricks but nothing really special that has grabbed my attention.

As for GW2 I've thought about trying it, I always wanted to play GW1 and just couldn't stomach the cost of firing it up since there was never a trial available when I had been looking. I didn't want to buy into a game as old as it but with a new chapter coming out I may give it a shot once the dust settles after launch but just as a curiosity I don't want to let go of TOR, not for a long long time. I've waited a good long while for a revamped SW game after The Force for x-box was such a let down and my old x-box quit running KOTOR2.
Maereth

No, the Diablo series is free after you buy the discs. There are micro-transactions, I believe, in 3, as well as the ability to use real money (lol) on the AH.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: