View previous topic :: View next topic  
P-Rife
PolishRifle
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

re: Dual Core or Quad Core CPU?

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU on an old motherboard. I currently have a Pentium D925 3.0Ghz The fastest processors my mobo and bios can handle are a Pentium...

Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz 1066MHz bus
Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66Ghz 1066Mhz bus

the quad is about $30 more on ebay.

Does SWTOR take advantage of the quad core processor or should I save the $30 and put it towards my subscription costs? I do get serious FPS decline in PvP which makes it hard to play melee.

I only have 4Gb RAM and I run Win7 32bit with no funds to upgrade those at this time.

P-Rife
PolishRifle
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

Well I sold 5 original Xbox games on ebay and made enough to cover the cost of the quad core with no out of pocket expense. As bad as I feel getting rid of KOTOR and KOTOR2, I take solace in knowing they have a good home and will have improved my SWTOR experience. Can't wait to install it and see the improvements, maybe my PvP skill will improve if I can keep the FPS up and not experience the chop.

Adroc

From what people tell me the quad core really shines in SWTOR. That along with around 8 gigs of ram will have it run smoothly. I'm planning on building a new gaming rig for that very purpose. It's been frustrating playing warzones all this time with the lag I go through.

Did you see a difference from the game when you updated the processor?
P-Rife
PolishRifle
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

definitely. I run a 32 bit OS so i kept my RAM at 4GB but I can run the game and the WZ in max settings (shadows off though) and maintain 30+fps which is great for me, I can't tell the difference between 30 and 130fps.

nolongeramember

PolishRifle wrote:
I can't tell the difference between 30 and 130fps.

Haha I wish I was still like that. Now it pisses me off whenever I drop to 40... it makes me wish I had never gotten used to the luxury of 60fps.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

I'm no tech expert, but I feel like my quadcore i7 and my 8GB ram help me really run this game. The only time I see FPS drops are with areas with lots of shadows or the fire effects of smugglers "Fly By", so I chalk that up to my GFX card. I think that's probably why Ilum or areas with lots of characters on screen doesn't affect me very much. My CPU can handle it!

Jump to: