View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Areku99

re: Do You Think We'll Ever See Full-Immersion VR?

Alright, so I've been wondering about this for a while and wanted to get your opinions; that said, this is all 100% hypothetical at this point. I believe that, within 20-30 years max, we'll have some form of full-immersion virtual reality integrated into gaming. This means, if you're unfamiliar with full-immersion, that we'll be completely part of the game; if there's a Star Wars MMO at this point (and I hope to God there is) that you'd BE the Jedi, you'd get to use the Force, et cetera. Do you think that this is in the realm of possibility, and when do you predict it'll happen? I just wanted to test the waters and see if this is on anybody's mind. Happy

The main obstacle to virtual reality today is nausea, vertigo-like symptoms, and abnormal social behaviour. It is currently unmarketable because of potential lawsuits from both medical and sociologically concerned parents.

Should consumer laws slacken, then this product will be reintroduced (the technology already exists). Personally, I think in 20 years we'll all be playing in 3D, but it most likely will not be full-immersion.

I'm looking further into the future, Eternus... No nausea if what you're doing is REAL. Like a star trek holodeck. I'll give it a good honest 50 years for us to get to the level of holographic technology of playing in a virtual world with tactless environment, maybe another 50 after that till things become tactile.
But it'll be frickin sweet.
Aequitas Caeci

Oh, and to address "abnormal social behavior." Yeah, that'll definately happen. A recurring TNG character by the name of Reginald Barclay had that issue and it was mentioned quite often.
Heck, I'll go ahead and say it...I would be extremely antisocial if we had holodecks.Happy
Taic

[quote="Pax Eternus"]The main obstacle to virtual reality today is nausea.../quote]

I agree that this is a large barrier. My girlfriend can not see a 3D movie because they give her headaches and eventually can make her nauseous. Sucks, because it limits the entertainment and technology we buy as a family.

I do believe that we will have VR gaming within a decade or so. There are already videos of doctoral students that use VR hoods with hand controllers to present a game world in their thesis. All that is really needed is to develop the processing and data bandwidth to perform all the calculations necessary to have fluid movement and controls in a lush, visually appealing space.

Valtrics

I like to think we will see nothing but awesome things in the future. If not immersion, then something just as cool.

Forum Image

Forum Image

Forum Image

Forum Image

I think that from a technicall stand completley imersive VR will be possible at some point, I don't know if gaming will be it's primary use or if gaming will go down that road at all though.

Aequitas Caeci wrote:
Oh, and to address "abnormal social behavior." Yeah, that'll definately happen. A recurring TNG character by the name of Reginald Barclay had that issue and it was mentioned quite often.
Heck, I'll go ahead and say it...I would be extremely antisocial if we had holodecks.Happy

They say that the holodeck will be mankind's last invention...because who'd care about anything else?

Imagine that little girl pinching a nerve in a vertebrae under the weight of that helmet, or the guy with the gun not remembering if he's in the virtual reality version or the real version... or not caring anymore, or someone getting a heartache from freight in the holodeck by accident. Would the courts put any fault on the company? Would there be a decrease in household spending habits? If yes to any of the above... then who would risk selling and manufacturing these products?

I do wish for the holodeck, however, and think it is amazing... in fact I'm per-ordering one for heaven!

I feel like one of the toughest parts of marketing would be the price tag.
How could a company make so much equipment available at a reasonable price.
The only way I see this working is short-time use in an arcade.

Namluck

I believe that in the future (hopefully in my lifetime) people will be able to "download" their brains into a computer essentially living forever. Once there, you can live in any reality you want. (I know this sounds a lot like the matrix confused )

It will come in our lifetime! believe me!

Photobucket
Aequitas Caeci

Namluck wrote:
I believe that in the future (hopefully in my lifetime) people will be able to "download" their brains into a computer essentially living forever. Once there, you can live in any reality you want. (I know this sounds a lot like the matrix confused )

The singularity is coming....
Baktusit

I don't know what you guys are talking about...

We are already in the Matrix Happy

Bak.

Lord Marvel

I`m waiting for brain-PC port :P

Than you won`t need some stupid 3D, you will be in game, kinda like matrix :D

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Gaming and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: