Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Celebrations, Awards and Ceremonies
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Vote:
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 20 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

ATownArmy
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

re: Congratulations to our newest Peacekeeper, ATownArmy!

The application submitted by ATownArmy is as follows:

Quote:
Please look over this <a>thread</a> before starting your application.

Personal Questions

The following questions are aimed at helping us get to know you better as a person. Please be as detailed as possible, this means that we expect as much information as you can possibly provide us with.

Which country do you live in?:
Iraq

Which time zone are you in?:
GMT+3:00

Which of the following below would best describe your current occupation?:
Full-Time Job

Do you have the ability to pay monthly fees for SWTOR?:
Yes

What motivates you to contribute and to strive for achievement both in and out of gaming?:
My biggest motivator is usually those around me. I'm a firefighter, so teamwork and camaraderie in and out of the fire department has always been important to me. I believe that I work better, and harder, when people are counting on me, and I know that my effort will directly support those that I care about.

What are your strengths and weaknesses: In gaming? In real life?:
My biggest strengths within the game is free time. I'm a contract fire fighter in Iraq, which means that I have a lot of downtime to spend crafting, practicing tactics, and furthering my character. In and out of the game, as I mentioned, cooperation and the ability to work toward team goals, I feel, are my biggest strengths. My weaknesses would probably be my location. Being in a different time zone can make certain things trickier than they need to be, but I have a fast internet connection, the ability to be on whatever time of day I need to be, and the commitment to overcome any obstacle that comes my way bescause of my location.

What interests and activities do you enjoy spending your time on both in and out of game?:
I love anything that gets adrenaline pumping. We only have 3 vacations a year, but I spend them doing extreme sports all over the world. I've skydived and bungee jumped in New Zealand, snowboarded in Japan and the U.A.E. (which though desert, has an indoor snow hill) and ridden a bull in an Australian rodeo. So because of that, inside the game I like PvP and raiding, anything that pushes the limits of me as a gamer and never promises success.

Pax Republica Questions

These questions are aimed at helping us figure out if you're Pax Republica material, so be as detailed as possible.

How did you hear about Pax Republica?:
SWTOR forums

Do you have a tendency to cuss a lot? :
No, we're not allowed to cuss on the Iraqi Embassy, where I live and work.

What are your expectations of the members and leadership of Pax Republica?:
I believe a guild to be a lot like a fire department. There are people from all walks of life, different personalities, different beliefs, all working towards one goal. Therefore, I expect to get the same out of Pax Republica as I do out of my fire fighters. I expect them to work alongside me, and that I can trust them to be there when needed. Most importantly, though, is that 90% of the time, fire fighters aren't fighting fires, and guilds aren't doing anything vital to the guild. That's when a guild comes together, when hanging out, having fun, and joking around builds lasting relationships. What I expect from Pax Republica is a chance to be a part of that coming together.

What do you believe you can contribute to Pax Republica's community?:
I believe my free time and dedication can be vital to this guild. We rarely have fires but we're indoors constantly out here because of the threat of mortars and rockets and also because of the weather. So though I work full-time, besides eating and sleeping, I have very few obligations to take care of and can contribute that time to improving my character and Pax Republica.

What was it about Pax Republica that encouraged you to sign up with us, rather than with another guild?:
Just being on the SWTOR Community forums, I noticed your members seemed to be very active and outgoing, which are two traits that I believe I have, and I believe are vital to a strong guild. Once I got to peruse Pax Republica's website, I really liked what the forum had to offer in terms of personality and knowledge of MMOs, which again, is something I believe to be very important.

How do you deal with stress both in and out of game.:
I have a type-B personality, and am very hard to stress out, but living in Iraq has taught me that talking with friends, even if not directly about the stress, will help calm nerves more than you'd think. I also enjoy running and getting lost in the music on my iPad for a few miles. Once I get back from a good run, it's hard for me to feel stressed.

A non-guild member approaches you in game and begins talking smack to you. How do you react?::
If it's good natured smack talk, I'll just talk it back and go on my merry way. If he's trying to pick a fight, though, I'm quick to resort to PvP if that's what he wants.

You're in Ventrilo playing with other members but one member is being annoying, making silly noises and being obnoxious...what do you do? :
If I think it's meant to be funny, then letting him know that it's annoying can go a long way. If it's meant to be annoying and obnoxious, I'd tell him more directly to shut up or get out.

Star Wars: The Old Republic Questions

What is your SWTOR forum name? Please also provide a link to your profile.:
ATownArmy http://www.swtor.com/community/member.php?u=756393

Have you previously been in another SWTOR guild? If so please include the Guild's name and your experience there.:
No

Have you ever been kicked from a guild for poor conduct, unruly behavior, or inactivity?:
No

Which of the following interests you most?:
Raiding

Which of the following interests you second most?:
PVP

Which of the following interests you third most?:
Crafting

In relation to the guild.:
We work together

The following questions are to provide you with a quick insight regarding the trial requirements.

Which class do you intend to play?:
Trooper

What Advanced Class (AC) do you intend to play for the above listed class?:
Commando

Do you acknowledge that activity is key to our community and that failure to contribute to the community(every week unless on leave of absence) could result in possible removal from the guild?:
Yes

Do you promise to act with maturity, friendliness and courtesy towards all Pax Republica Members?:
Yes

Do you acknowledge that you must complete all the trial requirements given to you by the trial director to become a full member?:
Yes

In the future, which position would you like to hold?:

Is there anything else you would like to include as to why we should accept you as an applicant to Pax Republica?:
I don't know if I was able to explain clearly during the application, but I am living in working in Iraq, though originally from Dallas, TX. Just in case there is any uncertainty over where I am and where I come from. Besides clarifying that, just know that I will put in the time and dedication it takes to help out Pax Republica in any way that I can. Thank you for your consideration.

And lastly, are there any questions about the guild you would like answered?:
None at this time. Thank you!

Have you re-read this application to ensure that there are no mistakes, and that our rules for applications are met?:
Yes

Last edited by ATownArmy on November 26, 2011 3:42 am; edited 2 times in total
UnbarringTomb

Hey welcome to PR,i have to admit a pretty solid app in my opinion,but a officer will pass judgment on it,just try to check as many times as possible for updates,and replies,and you should be okey for your trials.

Hello there, great to meet you! I've got a few questions for you, just so I can get to know you a little better.

What do you do in the fire dept far off in Iraq?

Living in Iraq what play times are you normally online?

You listed your primary interest as Raiding. As a guild the primary interest lies more toward pvp. We currently have 2 days set aside for guild raiding, but it not our primary focus. Is this ok with you?

If it's not to presumptuous of me, why do you call yourself ATownArmy?

If you were on the guild ventrilo server during a pvp event or raid and a guild member was being loud, talking over people, and spouting non-sense when people are trying to communicate how would you handle it as a non-officer?
ObiBen

Hey ATown, welcome! I spent some time over there in the sandbox myself in 06-08 in the Army. We were also stationed at an Embassy in Al Hilla. Those are the best locations over there. We had internet that was fast enough to use Skype, although sometimes the Columbian guards would slow it down a lot, looking up girls on Hot-or-Not: Latin Edition tongue out
I just had a couple questions for you:
Quote:
My weaknesses would probably be my location.

What about personally? e.g. Introverted/shy, anger management issues, poor calculus skills, weak ankles, etc. You know, those sorts of things big grin

Also, since you seem to be in Iraq full time, I take it you are single, with no family/commitments to bring you back to the U.S much?

Awarded:

Double post deleted

Last edited by ATownArmy on November 17, 2011 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

Thanks for the quick responses. Glad to meet both of you.

Sticx45, thanks for asking these questions. Hopefully my answers let you know more of who I am, and what kind of guild member I will be. If you need clarification or have any other questions, I'd be glad to tell you more.

Sticx45 wrote:
What do you do in the fire dept far off in Iraq?
I'm a Driver/Operator (Sometimes known as Engineer) which means I get to drive the big red fire truck and operate the water pump on any emergencies. It's a great job because I have a high level of influence (I choose where we set up, what type of fire attack we do, and how the fire ground operations are run) but with very little paperwork or responsibility over other firefighters. As we rarely get calls though, my job is mainly to keep the truck inventoried, clean, and ready to go at any second.

Sticx45 wrote:
Living in Iraq what play times are you normally online?
I'm 9 hours ahead of my home time zone (Central Time) so that's what I'll use to explain my schedule. I normally wake up around 7-8PM CST, go to bed around 11-12AM CST, and I'm usually on my computer for about 10-15 hours in between. No kidding, this job has, by FAR, the highest money income to work output ratio I've ever seen.

Sticx45 wrote:
You listed your primary interest as Raiding. As a guild the primary interest lies more toward pvp. We currently have 2 days set aside for guild raiding, but it not our primary focus. Is this ok with you?
Perfectly fine with me. I got started in MMOs with PvP playing Ultima Online and Diablo 2 (Which for the sake of PvP, I consider Diablo 2 very MMO-like). The reason I put Raiding as a primary interest is that I think SWTOR has made some raiding features that I'm really interested in trying out.

Sticx45 wrote:
If it's not to presumptuous of me, why do you call yourself ATownArmy?
Before getting transferred to the Iraqi Embassy in Baghdad, I was a firefighter in the city of Arbil, Iraq, which we called A Town. It had very little violence so we had very little security, and what security we did have was normally the bottom-of-the barrel kind of guys, so we told everyone that the fire department was the security or "army" as it's translated in Arabic. Over time, we took it on as a tagline of sorts. Since then, I use it for a lot of user names as it's fairly unique, but has a lot of meaning to me behind it.

Sticx45 wrote:
If you were on the guild ventrilo server during a pvp event or raid and a guild member was being loud, talking over people, and spouting non-sense when people are trying to communicate how would you handle it as a non-officer?
As a new guy, I don't think it's my place to scold anyone, but I'd definitely let him know that he needs to stop. After that, I think letting the officers of Pax Republica know what he was doing is important so that they can take whatever corrective action they see fit. I spent 6 years in the Air Force, so I'm big on using my chain of command. I try to resolve the issue at the lowest level, but I'm not afraid to raise the level of involvement if the situation dictates that I do so. Obviously, if the guild has a way they'd prefer I deal with such issues, the military also taught me how to adjust to standard operating procedures.

Awarded:

Thank you for your service! I've never been over to Al Hilla, but it's very close to Baghdad so I'm sure you're familiar with the weather over here, and I doubt you miss it. The internet speeds have gotten even faster since you left. I can stream live NFL games without buffering issues, and during Beta Weekend for SWTOR, I never noticed any lag, which my brother living in Las Vegas said was killing him.

As far as your question goes, I'm actually not too bad at calculus. You wouldn't think that derivatives are used much in firefighting, but every now and then, a good matrix comes in handy. Honestly though, I'm very outgoing. I can be an introvert at times, as I love reading (mainly non-fiction, right now I'm reading Michael Lewis and Bill Bryson) and getting lost in good music, but for the most part I'm out joking and having fun with people. It takes a lot to get me upset, and I never hold a grudge, so feel free to talk openly around me and say what's on your mind. As far as weaknesses go, any that I might have, I work hard to get rid of. I used to talk to much, so now I'm conscious of trying to be a listener rather than a talker. I used to joke at inappropriate times, so now I think before I speak. Not saying that I'm perfect, but any imperfections I perceive in myself, I work hard to rectify. I was broke in the military, so I took a job in Iraq to get rich big grin

And you're correct, I don't have a wife or kids. A bunch of the guys out here, however, do have families and I see how hard it is on them. They do this job to support a family that they rarely get to see. I've been very lucky to be out here while I'm young and have no obligations, but old enough to be smart in saving money and looking towards the future.

Good questions! Keep them coming!

ObiBen wrote:
Hey ATown, welcome! I spent some time over there in the sandbox myself in 06-08 in the Army. We were also stationed at an Embassy in Al Hilla. Those are the best locations over there. We had internet that was fast enough to use Skype, although sometimes the Columbian guards would slow it down a lot, looking up girls on Hot-or-Not: Latin Edition tongue out
I just had a couple questions for you:
Quote:
My weaknesses would probably be my location.

What about personally? e.g. Introverted/shy, anger management issues, poor calculus skills, weak ankles, etc. You know, those sorts of things big grin

Also, since you seem to be in Iraq full time, I take it you are single, with no family/commitments to bring you back to the U.S much?

Hey ATownArmy,

I like your app and your answers.

as a fire fighter are you a part of the embassy, meaning, are you a diplomat there?
also, is life in Iraq much different then what you see on the news?

Good luck with your app, and hope to talk to you on vent soon...

Bak.

ATownArmy
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

BAKTUSIT wrote:
Hey ATownArmy,

I like your app and your answers.

as a fire fighter are you a part of the embassy, meaning, are you a diplomat there?
also, is life in Iraq much different then what you see on the news?

Good luck with your app, and hope to talk to you on vent soon...

Bak.

They tell us we are "diplomats", but they just say that so we don't do stupid stuff in public. We're just here so that their multi-billion dollar investment doesn't burn down. And Iraq is very different than what you see on CNN. The people are finally starting to have a lot of nationalism, which is something they've lacked for years. The streets are starting to get built up and the violence is dropping. The real problem is Iran. They're the ones paying local Iraqis to take rockets and mortars and shoot them at the bases. Most all violence that we see is paid for and directed by Iran's government. Iran knows it's on the brink of war, and they don't want to be surrounded when it happens, so they want all US and NATO troops out ASAP, because their first step in the war will have to do directly with Iraq. That's about all I can say on a public forum, though. More to come once I get vent up and running.

Speaking of vent, I may need some help. When I go to d/l vent, I choose my client program, and it takes me to a download program page with an "I Agree" link on the bottom. I click it, and it routes me back to the previous page, and nothing downloads. I checked to make sure no software was blocking it, I can't figure out why it's routing me back to the first page instead of downloading anything. Anyone run into this before?

Hi ATownArmy! I enjoyed reading your application and it's nice to see how quickly you answered everyone's questions! Now... for mine!

What makes you want to play a trooper commando?

Also... I thought it was a nice comparison, to think of guildies like fellow fire fighters. Just as long as we're clear that I'd never jump in a fire, even if it was to save my favorite pony Rainbow Dash.

Don't worry about being in a different timezones. I know your schedule is flexible, but we also have a lot of members from Europe, so there'll pretty much always be people to do things with anytime of day.

Anyway, welcome to the forums and good luck with your app! =)

Before you criticize someone, try to put yourself on their ship and fly around a while. That way, when you criticize them, you're a few parsecs away and you have their ship.
NutellaCrepe

Hello ATownArmy!

I was wondering a few things to ask: What do you think of the French :P (I get teased a lot by my two vet friends)

What games do you play (if any) outside of MMOs?

Good luck in your app!
ATownArmy
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

Captain Bubbles wrote:
What makes you want to play a trooper commando?
I always liked playing high DPS characters in games, but normally as a tank. I never liked casting and never really enjoyed any kind of ranged game play. When I got into a Beta Weekend I tried out some different builds thinking that I'd be a Jedi Guardian or Sentinal but I also made a Smuggler, Consular, and Trooper to check them out. I really fell for the Trooper's story line right off the bat, since I just got out of the military about 4 months ago, and it's very military driven. And the game play of the Commando was just fun for me. I liked the Guardian the second most, but it just wasn't as intuitive as the Commando.

Captain Bubbles wrote:

Also... I thought it was a nice comparison, to think of guildies like fellow fire fighters. Just as long as we're clear that I'd never jump in a fire, even if it was to save my favorite pony Rainbow Dash.

That's what I'm here for. Don't worry, Cpt Bubbles, your little pony is safe with me.

Hello there!
I love your availability in sense of responding quickly the questions thrown at you, it shows you're determined to pass and start your trial if/when accepted.
Best of luck, though I doubt you'll need it which such a well-done app. Happy
ATownArmy
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

NutellaCrepe wrote:
Hello ATownArmy!I was wondering a few things to ask: What do you think of the French :P (I get teased a lot by my two vet friends)
Well, the French did give us democracy, existentialism, and the blow job. As long as they're making me Nutella Crepes, y'all are alright by me!

NutellaCrepe wrote:
What games do you play (if any) outside of MMOs?
I don't play many other games well. I used to be really into FPS games, starting way back with Goldeneye for N64, but after Halo 2 came out I kinda fizzled out. I always enjoyed thee CoD games but never got into them. I don't even own a console anymore, but just about everyone in the department out here does, so I tend to play on theirs. Because of that I can tell you definatively that I am NOT good at Madden or NBA 2K12

Awarded:

Nabetse Zaid wrote:
Hello there!
I love your availability in sense of responding quickly the questions thrown at you, it shows you're determined to pass and start your trial if/when accepted.
Best of luck, though I doubt you'll need it which such a well-done app. Happy

Thank you very much, and congrats on your progress, as I was browsing the forums, I saw you're getting voted in as we speak!

Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum