Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Celebrations, Awards and Ceremonies
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Vote:
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 14 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

Tobinius

re: Welcome our newest Peacekeeper, Tobinius!

The application submitted by Tobinius is as follows:

Quote:
Please look over this <a>thread</a> before starting your application.

Personal Questions

The following questions are aimed at helping us get to know you better as a person. Please be as detailed as possible, this means that we expect as much information as you can possibly provide us with.

Which country do you live in?:
Canada

Which time zone are you in?:
GMT-5:00

Which of the following below would best describe your current occupation?:
N/A

Do you have the ability to pay monthly fees for SWTOR?:
Yes

What motivates you to contribute and to strive for achievement both in and out of gaming?:
In Gaming: I guess the thing that motivates me the most, with regards to being a member of a guild, is being part of a tight-nit team; where everyone is having fun, even if the event/raid/etc in question is intensely serious.

Out of Gaming: Probably a desire to understand reality and how it works.

What are your strengths and weaknesses: In gaming? In real life?:
Strengths: (1) In gaming: I'm a team player who wants everyone to have fun. Able to admit my own mistakes or stupidity without being resentful for it, while also being understanding when others have their own Doh! moments without having to point it out (unless a request for constructive criticism has been made). Played various MMOs on and off for several years now, playing various types of characters/classes. Trustworthy. (2) In real life: Supportive of friends and family. Very wide range of interests (science/history/arts/humanities/etc.). Reflective.

Weaknesses: (1) In gaming: I can seem stand-offish until I get to know the people I am playing with - I'm just not particularly assertive, or at times particularly talkative. When I really get into a game, I tend to play way too much. (2) In real life: I have a lazy streak, as well as a horrible sweet tooth. I might be good at organizing and planning things out, but I'm not always as good as following through with those plans (although this is different from promising to do something and not attempting to follow through). I also sometimes have a horrible memory - for names, dates, places, even words sometimes (you know when they are right on the tip of your tongue, but completely out of reach).

What interests and activities do you enjoy spending your time on both in and out of game?:
In game: I guess it really all depends on the game in question. For MMOs, I try to enjoy all aspects of the game, from playing alts, to doing crafting. Enjoying both PvE and PvP content. As for other games, I started playing computer games when Pong first came out, had an original Commodore 64 that allowed me to play the original Ultima games. I bought one of those brand new clunky CD drives for my old Mac computer so that I could play Myst when it first came out, and now I have a PC built so that I can enjoy amazing games like Skyrim, B:AC, the next Total War game, BioShock: Infinite, Starcraft II, and of course SWTOR.

Out of game: Reading (science, sci-fi, history, fantasy), music (all types). Although an ongoing health situation keeps me fairly inactive at the moment, I also really enjoy hiking, camping, traveling (I miss my motorcycle).

Pax Republica Questions

These questions are aimed at helping us figure out if you're Pax Republica material, so be as detailed as possible.

How did you hear about Pax Republica?:
The SWTOR Guild finder

Do you have a tendency to cuss a lot? :
When the car ahead of me decides the best time to signal a left turn is when the light turns green, I cuss a lot. When talking to my 5 year old niece, not so much. And if I do drop an f-bomb, it would be sent in my direction, not at someone else (even if they really really deserve it - hehe)

What are your expectations of the members and leadership of Pax Republica?:
Members: that they be friendly and inclusive. That they take a raid/dungeon seriously, but still be able to have a good laugh when raid/group wipes, whatever the reason. No racist, sexist or homophobic nonsense. No interest in drama (other than the drama around the game play story if people want to role play). Want to be part of a respected guild.

Leadership: that they are fair, honest and approachable. While they may be the guild leaders, they still understand that they are also just team members, not a special class unto themselves. Lead by example. Want to be part of a respected guild. Not interested in creating the biggest guild ever.

What do you believe you can contribute to Pax Republica's community?:
As previously noted I have been playing MMOs for several years now. I started playing EverQuest just before they came out with their first expansion. Then moved on to EQ2 when it first came out, for the better graphics, but after a few months I left due to dissatisfaction over game play, and started playing WOW well before its first expansion came out. I believe that I can use my past experiences to help make SWTOR a positive experience for guild members.

From what I have read on the site regarding community comments made on some of the other applications that have been made recently, I think we all are looking for the same kind of gaming experience (although admittedly I am not really into the whole role-playing aspect, even though I had great fun with that back in the days of AD&D).

What was it about Pax Republica that encouraged you to sign up with us, rather than with another guild?:
You really seem intent on forming a tight community. I also like the attitude of the members (at least what I have seen from comments on the site). I like the fact that people seem to have a sense of humour, but decided on a serious guild name and not something goofy. It also looks like this guild will actually come together once the game goes live.

How do you deal with stress both in and out of game.:
In game: Just try to do the best I can and always try to learn and improve at whatever role I am tasked at for the particular raid/dungeon. No matter how seriously I may take my role, at the end of the day it is just a game where no one is going to actually be hurt, so I don't find it all that stressful (although that doesn't mean that I don't feel the tension, and enjoy it, that builds around a hard won/lost battle).

Out of game: I take plenty of time to relax and unwind. I try not to let life get me too down. I am also not adverse to partaking in the odd nightcap and/or 4:20 break when the situation calls for it. I also find watching or reading something funny helps too.

A non-guild member approaches you in game and begins talking smack to you. How do you react?::
If they are talking smack about the guild or a member of the guild, my first response would be to find out what the problem is and stand up for those not there (I would also pass on this info to either an officer or the member in question, depending on the situation). If the problem can't be resolved, or the person is just a troll, then I just ignore them and if they really continue to pester me I will /ignore them.

If they are making what I deem to be unacceptable comments in general, I will report them to a GM.

If they are just trying to annoy me, I just ignore or /ignore depending on the situation. WOW has given me lots of experience with this scenario, and as another applicant stated: "don't feed the troll."

You're in Ventrilo playing with other members but one member is being annoying, making silly noises and being obnoxious...what do you do? :
I would hopefully just try to laugh it off and hope the person would grow tired of it and stop, sooner rather than later. If it continued and was interfering with my enjoyment of the game, I would send a private message to them with a request to stop, and then failing that, I would mute them. If the problem persisted, then I would feel obliged to report them to an officer.

Star Wars: The Old Republic Questions

What is your SWTOR forum name? Please also provide a link to your profile.:
Tobinius http://www.swtor.com/community/member.php?u=1808350

Have you previously been in another SWTOR guild? If so please include the Guild's name and your experience there.:
[Maximum Verbosity: On] No [Maximum Verbosity: Off]

Have you ever been kicked from a guild for poor conduct, unruly behavior, or inactivity?:
Not while I was actively playing the game, but I was probably removed from a guild during the two times I quit WOW forever - I'm now on my third and definitely final time quitting WOW.

Which of the following interests you most?:
Raiding

Which of the following interests you second most?:
Exploring

Which of the following interests you third most?:
Crafting

In relation to the guild.:
We work together

The following questions are to provide you with a quick insight regarding the trial requirements.

Which class do you intend to play?:
Jedi Consular

What Advanced Class (AC) do you intend to play for the above listed class?:
Shadow (happy to play dps role until I can play dual roles)

Do you acknowledge that activity is key to our community and that failure to contribute to the community(every week unless on leave of absence) could result in possible removal from the guild?:
Yes

Do you promise to act with maturity, friendliness and courtesy towards all Pax Republica Members?:
Yes

Do you acknowledge that you must complete all the trial requirements given to you by the trial director to become a full member?:
Yes

In the future, which position would you like to hold?:

Is there anything else you would like to include as to why we should accept you as an applicant to Pax Republica?:
I think that I could be a helpful and friendly guild mate, with a good, if somewhat odd, sense of humour.

And lastly, are there any questions about the guild you would like answered?:
While I plan to take my main char right to 50 as quickly as possible so that I can participate in endgame guild activities as early as possible, once that is done I plan to start playing alts (when my main isn't active). Will I be able to get my alts into the guild too?

Have you re-read this application to ensure that there are no mistakes, and that our rules for applications are met?:
Yes

Hello Tobinius Happy
Thank you for applying to Pax Republica! I loved your application, it was very well written and organized.

To answer your question, we will allow alts into the guild. Happy

Alex(Gaiutus) and I are from Canada as well! Where abouts are you? :D

I'm sure some of the members will have some questions for you, so be sure to check back often!

timaselj

Wow 48 years huh? If you get in, you'll be the oldest member! Happy
I liked your app a lot. Very detailed, and leaves little room for questions. But questions there shall be! Happy

Now I'm sceptical about them, since you're so much older than the rest of us here, but I'll shoot them your way non-the-less.

1) Ninja or Pirate?
2) Cake or Pie?
3) Your favorite game so far? If the question is too specific, then name more. Happy
4) Do you have a favorite superhero? If so, which one and why?
5) I read you like all music. But which genre do you like most?
6) Why did you pick Jedi Consular Shadow?

And I think I'll let someone ask some more questions. tongue out Can't hoard em' all for myself. Happy

The supreme art of war is to subdue your enemy without fighting.
Tobinius

Tcyiora wrote:
Hello Tobinius Happy
Thank you for applying to Pax Republica! I loved your application, it was very well written and organized.

To answer your question, we will allow alts into the guild. Happy

Alex(Gaiutus) and I are from Canada as well! Where abouts are you? :D

I'm sure some of the members will have some questions for you, so be sure to check back often!

Thank you for the welcome, and answering my question.

Glad to see that I am not alone (so to speak) as a Canadian player. I'm originally from Nova Scotia (Wolfville), but I have lived, and still do, most of my life in Toronto.

How about the two of you?

Tobinius wrote:
Thank you for the welcome, and answering my question.

Glad to see that I am not alone (so to speak) as a Canadian player. I'm originally from Nova Scotia (Wolfville), but I have lived, and still do, most of my life in Toronto.

How about the two of you?

No problem at all! If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask away Happy

That's awesome! :D I've actually never heard of Wolfville... is it a nice place?
Alex and I are in BC, around Vancouver. Happy

Tobinius

timaselj wrote:
I liked your app a lot. Very detailed, and leaves little room for questions. But questions there shall be! Happy

Now I'm sceptical about them, since you're so much older than the rest of us here, but I'll shoot them your way non-the-less.

1) Ninja or Pirate?
2) Cake or Pie?
3) Your favorite game so far? If the question is too specific, then name more. Happy

And I think I'll let someone ask some more questions. tongue out Can't hoard em' all for myself. Happy

I'm surprised to hear that I would be the oldest, since I was never the oldest in any of the guilds I participated with in WOW. Nonetheless, I am happy to be the "old man" of the guild, lol.

And let me say that skepticism is always the way to go.

1) That's easy - Pirates wear frilly shirts and funny hats with feathers in them. Now there is nothing wrong with that if that's your thing, but for me it is Ninja all the way.

2) I like to have my cake and eat it too.

3) This is a really tough question, but if I had to pick something, it would be the Myst series, Civ IV, and Oblivion. However, there are so many more that come close.

4) I think that I would have to go with Dr. Manhattan. Besides all of the amazing places you could go in the galaxy, just the mundane things would be great - I mean you could be having sex, playing on the computer, and going out to pick-up an extra spicy chicken roti all at the same time.

5) I really do like all types of music, from punk to opera, and from heavy metal to classical. However, if I had to give one genre, I guess it would be the broad genre of Alternative music.

6) I picked the Consular Shadow because it seems to be the closest class to Druid in WOW (actually, Druid was my main go to in EQ, EQ2 and WOW). The Shadow seems to be a generalist - uses weapons and magic/the force, can go invis, and I believe I saw a suggestion somewhere that there may be healing abilities too. This means that I can fill many different roles when it comes to group/raid events. I also think that it will be a great PvP class to play.

Cheers for the questions.

Tcyiora wrote:
No problem at all! If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask away Happy

That's awesome! :D I've actually never heard of Wolfville... is it a nice place?
Alex and I are in BC, around Vancouver. Happy

Wolfville is a town not too far away from Halifax (although I guess nothing is too far away in Nova Scotia). I'm not really sure what it is like now, and I was very little when we moved to Toronto.

BC is a great place to live - if I was to live somewhere else in Canada, it would be in BC, as I love the Rockies and the west coast.

Quote:
6) I picked the Consular Shadow because it seems to be the closest class to Druid in WOW (actually, Druid was my main go to in EQ, EQ2 and WOW). The Shadow seems to be a generalist - uses weapons and magic/the force, can go invis, and I believe I saw a suggestion somewhere that there may be healing abilities too. This means that I can fill many different roles when it comes to group/raid events. I also think that it will be a great PvP class to play.

Two questions pertaining somewhat to this.

1. What do you like least about the shadow class (of what you know)

2. I'm not saying this is the case, and I'm not giving out any NDA covered info. This is hypothetical. But if you were to find out that a shadow is not at all a utilitary class, but very 1 track oriented. As in you could do either X or Y, but never both at once, ever. Would you still want to play it? Would you stick to your class choice, or reroll to something that fit your posted playstyle more?
timaselj

Tobinius wrote:
timaselj wrote:

1) Ninja or Pirate?
2) Cake or Pie?

I'm surprised to hear that I would be the oldest, since I was never the oldest in any of the guilds I participated with in WOW. Nonetheless, I am happy to be the "old man" of the guild, lol.

And let me say that skepticism is always the way to go.

1) That's easy - Pirates wear frilly shirts and funny hats with feathers in them. Now there is nothing wrong with that if that's your thing, but for me it is Ninja all the way.

2) I like to have my cake and eat it too.

3) This is a really tough question, but if I had to pick something, it would be the Myst series, Civ IV, and Oblivion. However, there are so many more that come close.

4) I think that I would have to go with Dr. Manhattan. Besides all of the amazing places you could go in the galaxy, just the mundane things would be great - I mean you could be having sex, playing on the computer, and going out to pick-up an extra spicy chicken roti all at the same time.

5) I really do like all types of music, from punk to opera, and from heavy metal to classical. However, if I had to give one genre, I guess it would be the broad genre of Alternative music.

Cheers for the questions.

Note to self: I like this man. Have to get him into the guild and befriend him ASAP. Happy

The supreme art of war is to subdue your enemy without fighting.
Tcyiora

Quote:
Wow 48 years huh? If you get in, you'll be the oldest member!

lol Actually we do have a couple members here who are in their 40s. Happy

Quote:
BC is a great place to live - if I was to live somewhere else in Canada, it would be in BC, as I love the Rockies and the west coast.

Yeah, I like it here haha Happy I love going up to the mountains when it snows!

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Good app Happy Welcome!

Sticx45 wrote:

Two questions pertaining somewhat to this.

1. What do you like least about the shadow class (of what you know)

2. I'm not saying this is the case, and I'm not giving out any NDA covered info. This is hypothetical. But if you were to find out that a shadow is not at all a utilitary class, but very 1 track oriented. As in you could do either X or Y, but never both at once, ever. Would you still want to play it? Would you stick to your class choice, or reroll to something that fit your posted playstyle more?

1) Based on what I have been able to piece together, I think the thing I like least is that it appears that the shadow class will remain a cloth armour class. I picture it being more of a light armour form (similar to the leather classes in WOW). This answer seems like a weak one, but I don't think that could say much else until I actually get to play the class.

2) Yes, I have no doubt that the way I imagine the class being now (based on what I have read and the youtube videos I have watched) and what it will actually be like, could be very different. However, unless the class as a whole is not very well put together, I don't think that I would feel the need to reroll - I plan to play all the classes at some point anyway.

As far as play style goes, the last year in WOW I went to a new server and started playing 7 different classes all at the same time. I managed to get the 7 to around 20 before I focused only 5 of them, which I took to level 70 together (after that I took 2 up to 85 before starting to bring the other 3 up). So I had a great time constantly changing my play style depending on which class I was playing at that moment. So I am hoping that this will allow me to just go with the flow with regards to whatever kind of play style this class needs. If sometime down the line I find that I far prefer to play one of my alts, then I will make a decision at that time as to whether or not I want to change what class my main will be.

tl;dr - Whatever type of class shadow turns out to be, I will most likely stick with it in the short term.

Welcome Tobinius!

I see by your profile that you just joined the TOR forums yesterday and have 0 total posts. Just curious how long have you been following TOR and how many other guilds you have looked at?
Tobinius

Atrayu Yung wrote:
Welcome Tobinius!

I see by your profile that you just joined the TOR forums yesterday and have 0 total posts. Just curious how long have you been following TOR and how many other guilds you have looked at?

Yes, I thought that this might come up. To be honest, I wasn't really looking for a new MMO until a couple of months ago, when I finally decided that I was just tired of playing WOW (and that lack of interest has only grown with the presentation of their next expansion).

However, I have been playing MMOs now for so long, that I really enjoy them, so I started looking around at what alternatives there were or were going to be. The first one that caught my interest was The Secret World, but then I started to see stuff about SWTOR. So for roughly the last two months I have been doing research about the game, and then when I decided that I was going to give SWTOR a try, I spent quite a lot of time deciding what class I wanted to play and whether to start playing on a PvP server or not. Towards the end of this time (maybe a week ago or so), I started to think about whether or not to join a guild before or after the launch date.

As I started leaning towards the idea of joining a guild before launch date, I started looking various guilds over. What I thought would be a hard choice between Republic and Empire turned out to be extremely easy - there are waaaaay more PvP Empire guilds, so being on the Republic side will be much more fun in my opinion. Then I started lurking on the main SWTOR website forum and several mid-level Republic PvP guilds in my time zone, finally deciding on PR. So it may appear that I just came out of nowhere and picked PR out of a droids head, that is not the case. big grin

As a fellow Canadian, I welcome you Tobinius to the Pax Republica forums. Happy I've been horrifically busy (and should be on a LOA lol), so I apologize for not having viewed this sooner and responded. Everything looks good and I provide you with the Consul's stamp of approval. Happy

http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/118791/approvedStamp.png

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Celebrations, Awards and Ceremonies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum