Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Applications and Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

re: Racial Abilities?

Blind Equilibrium wrote:
I must be in the minority in that I was glad when I initially heard that there were no racials. People could choose based on the appearance/voice they wanted to hear instead. Development time spent balancing racials and all the whining and crying that accompanies it could be avoided. (I'm looking at you Will of the Forsaken and Every man for themselves)

I'm totally with you Blind, I don't like racials. They pidgeon hole most "hardcore" players into only picking a race based on having the "best" stats for that class.

I feel that way mostly, however another viewpoint I adopted is in-universe wise it makes sense that most Guardians in Lotro would be Dwarfs or most Mages in WoW would be Gnomes... those races are physically more suited for those roles and jobs, that's why they have the stats they have, ergo the majority of that "class", in universe, would be of that race.

What I think is more dumb is when a person, who cares about their race and their RP a bit, worries about the stats and doesn't choose the race they want because the stats or racial skills aren't good enough. Use your imagination and overcome the challenges!

I want racials!!! Cry!!!

ObiBen

http://www.betacake.net/2011/10/15/star-wars-the-old-republic-racial-traits/

I'm tempted to say fake. Thoughts?

Nope, I've heard from many other sources that this is indeed true, though if it is on release or following I've heard nothing of the sort.

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
Palindora
Aestel Cooper
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

Georg responded to this post on the forums:
Quote:
I hope this is true. BioWare has stated that they want you to select a character you can relate with. Allowing class racials in-game that enhance performance, even just 1% healing or 1% hit, is enough to really put pressure on people and takes away from that sense of "pick the race you relate with the most."

Adding fun abilities like new dance moves, or special emotes, maybe even "Crafting" preferences to some races that would let you do certain crafts a little faster (not better, just a little faster), are fine. Adding performance enhancement is opening a can of worms. Even worse is adding combat-related class specific abilities.

Keep race selection based on aesthetics, not performance.

With:
Quote:
My team put them in, so yeah, it's true.

We are all sick of mails touting performance enhancing products , so we wouldn't want to put performance enhancing racial abilities in the game

Source - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9988595#edit9988595

So it would seem the racial abilities posted above from test are just for testing and they didn't work out.

While they have said in numerous interviews that racial's won't effect combat. In the latest MMORPG interview(pretty sure this is where i heard it) they did say that they are toying with the idea of adding racials that will give bonuses for crafting. Little things like this race will have a faster diplomacy time etc.
nolongeramember

I do not know if it will, although I remember reading somewhere that there won't be. I hope there isn't; I want to be able to choose the race I actually want to play, not make my decision based on stats.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Applications and Introductions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum