Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Applications and Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
ircannibals

re: Shadow tanks... none of you guys?

My gf is going shadow I think Dps, but I think we need to I talk her in to play a tank Happy

Amorl

I think as for which tank will be the best at launch will be a short lived title. Balance buffs/nerfs will be abundent, also different encounters always favor certain types of tanking over others. Plus we have even less info on true in game synergy for PvP. The obvious one has been pointed out with the ability for tanks to mitigate ally damage, but how well do our other talents and stats match up and with whom.

Although I am rooting for some of our consulars to go shadow tanking. Variety is the spice of life big grin
EthanReilly

I would go Shadow and tank but I'm not brave enough to tank ... I'm too used to classes that have low HP, and since most of tanking is passive I find tanking to be boring. I played paladin in vanilla World of Warcraft and found that it takes like twice the time to kill something with a paladin than a rogue. So I stuck with rogue.

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity. There’s a reason people are passionate about it all these years later. I’m proud to have worked on it." - Former Creative Designer on Star Wars Galaxies, and my personal inspiration, Raph Koster
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Tanking is definitely not for everyone! It can be boring at times but there is also a big adrenaline rush of gathering lots of aggro and making sure you survive... I love as a LOTRO guardian being able to hold 6 or 7 mobs and let them all whack me while my healer heals me and the group AoE's them down, none of them taking a scratch... while also positioning myself so all the mobs are facing me with their backs to my group so that they can't evade/block/parry any attacks thus increasing our DPS Happy

after thinking about it some more, I think I'll probably end up going tank. Of course I'll always be willing to switch to whatever if we become unbalanced.

I will be going shadow tank but not for leveling and not necessarily for pvp.

I'm a big believer that people should play what they want to play and not be "forced" or convinced to do it for others. My experience with regards to that was many years ago while playing wow I was forced to heal (I played a shaman). It really took the fun out of the game for me.

I am not against healing! Far from it. But shaman healing in my day was spam chain heal. 1 ability for hours and hours and hours. I like tanking and have plenty of mmo experience with it.

I am not completely sold on pvp tanking but the numbers quoted earlier were impressive. I thought to try and find a control build with the consular because I love annoying players in pvp.

Anyway sign me up for shadow pve tanking. I'm ripped and ready to go.

This thread has been sitting quietly for a bit, but I thought I'd resurrect it since we've seen some talent trees go up. I've pretty much decided to go Kinetic Combat for my main spec. This decision is more for PvP, as taunting will be more useful than in other MMOs I've played, and also because of a little thing called Spin Kick that knocks down the target and applies a +9% Damage From All Sources debuff. That's terrific synergy with my Infiltration comrades, who will be able to capitalize on the debuff with massive burst damage from stealth. It will require some Vent coordination, but I think the one-two punch will be devastating. o.0

I haven't done a lot of PvE tanknig (none whatsoever at end-game) in the past, but I've enjoyed what little I've done and I'm sure I could fill the role well. If not, the devs have already said they are looking to add dual-spec in the future so I could always be Infiltration for Operations.

So let's revisit this topic, shall we? Where does everyone stand on prospective specializations at launch?

Photobucket
Arkos Ladar

Gaiutus Baltar wrote:
I do not feel shadow tanks are a necessity from a Guild Leader pov.

Our most recent poll put our stats at;

Tank (22/90)

Healer (21/90)

Melee DPS (21/90)

Ranged DPS (26/90)

From my position, these are really all that matter - not which class it is but which roll is being filled. If our "dps" switched over to tank Nwahs, we'd see those 10 shadow dps become 10 tanks, which would (worst case) look like this;

Tank (32/90)
Melee DPS (11/90)
C
And that's a pretty shitty statistic lol. I think if you want to Shadow Tank, go for it - but I think at this time, everything is working to fall into place as it should. The force guides it. *bow*

Nice balance so far! Are we planning on another mandatory poll like this one before recruitment closes? I'm sure some of us would be happy to go where needed.

Do we need to put in a class change if we want to go from shadow tank to sage healer?

See...now im torn. I wouldn't mind being a Shadow Tank...but Assassin is really alluring.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Pax Zeeto wrote:
Do we need to put in a class change if we want to go from shadow tank to sage healer?

I think just a PM to your CL would be sufficient, then they just have to change the AC Roster and the Recruiting by Class numbers.

Markis. D Thatch wrote:
See...now im torn. I wouldn't mind being a Shadow Tank...but Assassin is really alluring.

Hmmm you switching to sith?

I've tanked in MMO's for about 11 years now. I know my way around the playground so to speak. I enjoy tanking, but the amount of theory crafting and homework that WoW brought into tanking somewhat ruined it for me. I used to be that guy that had spreadsheets and spreadsheets of data on what rotations were best, and to prove that this spec had a .03% higher TPS than that spec.

This time around I plan to take things a bit easier. I plan to tank as shadow, but do it for enjoyment and less as a 2nd job. I can't tell you how excited I am to get back into the enjoyment of it again, rather than the pressure cooker aspect that I'm leaving behind.
Markis. D Thatch

No no no no, the build i am going to be doing will be assassin style.

Sticx45

Markis. D Thatch wrote:
No no no no, the build i am going to be doing will be assassin style.

Just poking fun at you, I got your meaning. wink
Legendkiller456

I may be a little bit tanky, but I am mostly going towards melee DPS.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Applications and Introductions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum