Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Celebrations, Awards and Ceremonies
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Vote:
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 10 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Nolan.Sumar

re: Welcome our newest Peacekeeper, Nolan.Sumar!

The application submitted by Nolan.Sumar is as follows:

Quote:
Please look over this <a>thread</a> before starting your application.

Personal Questions

The following questions are aimed at helping us get to know you better as a person. Please be as detailed as possible, this means that we expect as much information as you can possibly provide us with.

Which country do you live in?:
United States

Which time zone are you in?:
GMT-7:00

Which of the following below would best describe your current occupation?:
N/A

Do you have the ability to pay monthly fees for SWTOR?:
Yes

What motivates you to contribute and to strive for achievement?:
Anything worth doing is worth doing well. I don't need an external reason to achieve because I'm a driven person who has always seen excellence as an end in and of itself. The truth is, if I'm not faced with a challenge I tend to get bored. Additionally, I pay great attention to detail, whether that means making sure that every part of characters persona, a combat plan, or a set of skills fits together perfectly. I just like the way it feels to know that I've done a good job.
I want to contribute to the team because I like to feel like I'm part of a significant collective effort. It feels great to succeed yourself, but even better to help your teammates and allies to achieve their goals in conjunction with yours.

What are your strengths and weaknesses?:
I have a strong background in Bioware and other roleplaying games that involve many of the same elements (team combat, crafting, etc.) that will be involved in TOR. I started out playing pen and paper D&D and the Star Wars D20 role playing game when I was 10. From there I moved onto Baldur's gate and BG II, as well as Icewind Dale. More recently I've played Neverwinter Nights, NWN 2, Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening expansion, (beating NWN2 and DAO on their hardest difficulty settings).
My biggest weakness is that I've never played an MMORPG before. That being said, I'm excited to learn, and am confident that with the guild's help I'll be able to catch on quickly! Also, I tend to be introverted and shy when first getting to know people in person, (though, conversely, I can be very gregarious when writing). As a result, I may be a little quiet on vent until I get to know everyone. Other than that, I am a little bit of a perfectionist, but this is counterbalanced by my willingness to laugh at myself.

What interests and activities do you enjoy spending your time on?:
I love running, yoga, backpacking and hiking. My best outdoor experience was when I had to hike 12 hours in a foot of snow with a forty lb. pack on my back. We had to get out of a canyon after being caught in a storm while trying to summit Mt. Whitney (highest peak in the lower 48). I love a challenge!
I also enjoy reading, especially Science Fiction. My favorite Star Wars novel is I Jedi by Michael Stackpole. Most recently I've been reading through the Riverworld series by Phillip Jose Farmer. In terms of all time classics in Science fiction I'd go for Ringworld and The Mote in God's Eye. My favorite fantasy series are, predictably, The Wheel Of Time & The Sword of Truth.
I have also been heavily involved in the Policy Debate community both in high school and college. I've greatly enjoyed speaking publicly, doing lots of research, and having the opportunity to coach and mentor younger students. Finally, I practice Buddhist mindfulness based meditation to calm and center myself after a long hike or a stressful elimination round. And, of course, I love video games! (See my strengths response).

Pax Republica Questions

These questions are aimed at helping us figure out if you're Pax Republica material, so be as detailed as possible.

How did you hear about Pax Republica?:
Guild Search Function on SWTOR website

Do you have a tendency to cuss a lot? :
Nope. I rarely if ever swear.

What are your expectations of the members and leadership of Pax Republica?:
I want a positive, friendly, relaxed group of teammates to dominate with across the board! As my primary interest in the game is tactical, I look forward to working with other players to execute nuanced strategies to overcome difficult PVP and PVE encounters. I look forward to finding out about all the great things Pax Republica has to offer during the trial period!

What do you believe you can contribute to Pax Republica's community?:
I've decided to start playing my first MMORPG because I felt that games like Dragon Age origins and NWN 2 lacked the tactical element involved in multiplayer combat, and because I was impressed by the unique story driven nature of TOR as compared to other MMORPGs. As a result, I'll be excited to work closely with other players to develop PvP and PvE strategies that will allow us to excel! In addition, my extensive role playing experience (see strengths above), will help contribute to the story elements of the game. Finally, I have a positive attitude, a good work ethic, and I always show up to scheduled events on time and ready to have fun!

What was it about Pax Republica that encouraged you to sign up with us, rather than with another guild?:
First and foremost, I was attracted to the values and attitude clearly articulated both in your charter and your other advertising materials. Beyond the fact that merely having such a clearly articulated set of guidelines indicates a strong community, I identified with many of the rules and regulations as standards that I use to guide my personal life. Particularly, I agreed strongly with the no drama and EOTG regulations, because I am here to enjoy a great game and not to create unnecessary strife.
Self-Sufficiency is also important because, beyond reminding me of some of my favorite passages by Emerson, it embodies the recognition that teams can only function well when each individual member takes personal responsibility for living up to their assigned role and responsibilities, whether that's keeping active on the forum or making sure to heal the tank so that he does not die, even if it would be a little bit more fun to dish out some damage with my new ranged attack.
Additionally, Pax Republica plays in my timezone (US West) and uses a team speak application (Vent). This latter factor is important both because I'd like to get to know my fellow members better (and I feel like talking to someone provides a more personal connection), and because I think it will help better coordinate multiplayer missions, which is important to me because one of my main reasons for playing TOR is because I'm interested in orchestrating nuanced tactical maneuvers (see above). Finally, the well designed webpage and advertising materials were indicative of a guild that holds itself to the same standard of excellence that I expect of myself.

How do you deal with stress both in and out of game.:
Exercise, eat well, get enough sleep, and most importantly, try not to take myself too seriously: I've founded that a little bit of laughter can give you a lot of much needed perspective in a difficult situation. I also like to meditate and eat vanilla ice cream mixed with peaches. If something stresses me out in game I'll probably wait till an appropriate stopping point and then log off and go take a walk.

A non-guild member approaches you in game and begins talking smack to you. How do you react?::
I will calmly and politely disentangle myself from the situation. My actions represent the guild, and I wouldn't to tarnish its image. Plus, I'm playing to have fun and am uninterested in trolling.

You're in Ventrilo playing with other members but one member is being annoying, making silly noises and being obnoxious...what do you do? :
Unless it was really bad I'd probably just ignore it. I have a pretty high tolerance for those sorts of things. If it was becoming a problem I'd probably tease them about it a little bit in a friendly manner. If that didn't work, I might ask them politely to stop. And if that didn't work either I'd mute them and PM someone in charge about the problem.

Star Wars: The Old Republic Questions

What is your SWTOR forum name? Please provide a link to your profile.:
Nolan_Sumar, http://www.swtor.com/community/member.php?u=1288969&tab=aboutme&simple=1

Have you previously been in another SWTOR guild? If so please include the Guild's name and your experience there.:
No previous guild.

Have you ever been kicked from a guild for poor conduct, unruly behavior, or inactivity?:
Nope

Which of the following interests you most?:
PVP

Which of the following interests you second most?:
Story

Which of the following interests you third most?:
Crafting

In relation to the guild.:
We work together

The following questions are to provide you with a quick insight regarding the trial requirements.

Which class do you intend to play?:
Jedi Consular

Do you acknowledge that activity is key to our community and that failure to contribute to the community(every week unless on leave of absence) could result in possible removal from the guild?:
Yes

Do you promise to act with maturity, friendliness and courtesy towards all Pax Republica Members?:
Yes

Do you acknowledge that you must complete all the trial requirements given to you by the trial director to become a full member?:
Yes

In the future, which position would you like to hold?:

Is there anything else you would like to include as to why we should accept you as an applicant to Pax Republica?:
I marked N/A on employment because I just graduated from college with a B.S. in Philosophy and am currently taking a year off before attending law school. Other than that I have nothing to add.

And lastly, are there any questions about the guild you would like answered?:
None at the moment. I look forward to getting to know you all better throughout the trial process!

Congratulations! You've completed our application. While it may have been lengthy it is in the interest of ensuring only those truly dedicated bother applying. All applications are reviewed as soon as possible.

Clusterfact

Excellent application, Nolan! I'm always a tad envious of people who have managed to have all sorts of unique experiences in the same amount of time that I haven't lol. I just have a couple questions if you don't mind. Happy

You mention that you are a little reserved when first meeting people and I can understand completely as I also tend to shy away from people that I don't know very well, but you also said that you enjoy a healthy debate and public speaking. I was just wondering how you manage to overcome speaking in front of many people that you don't know. tongue out

We are currently closed for recruitment at the moment, so if your application is passed you will be put on a waiting list. Is this okay?

This lengthy and well thought-out application is one that I would recommend to be used for a sample application for future applicants! Good stuff all around! An officer will be around soon to review. Happy
Valtrics

Great app!

I find it really impressive that you beat DAO on hardest difficulty, I can barely get passed regular difficulty.

Good Luck with everything.

re: Re: App: Nolan.Sumar

Hello there Nolan, thank you for taking time and applying to Pax Happy

Your application is outstanding, and leave little to ask about :D

But I always ask some questions, so here goes :D

Nolan.Sumar wrote:
What are your strengths and weaknesses?:
I have a strong background in Bioware and other roleplaying games that involve many of the same elements (team combat, crafting, etc.) that will be involved in TOR. I started out playing pen and paper D&D and the Star Wars D20 role playing game when I was 10.

What classes did you enjoyed most while playing both D&D and SW D20? <RPG gamer here ^_^ >

Nolan.Sumar wrote:
My biggest weakness is that I've never played an MMORPG before.

Why did you never tried out any other MMO?
There are lots of really good titles out there, and at least one would probably fit your tasets Happy so why?

Nolan.Sumar wrote:
Is there anything else you would like to include as to why we should accept you as an applicant to Pax Republica?:
I marked N/A on employment because I just graduated from college with a B.S. in Philosophy and am currently taking a year off before attending law school. Other than that I have nothing to add.

Why taking a year break? Any specific reason? You don`t have to answer if it is personal Happy

Thanks in advance for answers Happy

Nolan.Sumar

re: RE: Questions

Clusterfact wrote:

You mention that you are a little reserved when first meeting people and I can understand completely as I also tend to shy away from people that I don't know very well, but you also said that you enjoy a healthy debate and public speaking. I was just wondering how you manage to overcome speaking in front of many people that you don't know. tongue out

That's a great question Clusterfact, and one I actually get alot. I've found that "impersonal" situations, such as an interview, questionnaire, public debate, etc. don't feel as nerve racking to me as "personal" situations, such as joking around, hanging out, etc. I'm not sure exactly why this is. Maybe because I did lots of acting when I was younger, (no movies or anything big like that, just some classes for kids and school plays) and got used to and in fact loved the feel of performance that's involved in those more impersonal situations.

Clusterfact wrote:

We are currently closed for recruitment at the moment, so if your application is passed you will be put on a waiting list. Is this okay?

Yes. I'm in no particular hurry to find a guild. The game hasn't even been released yet!

Last edited by Nolan.Sumar on June 28, 2011 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Nolan.Sumar

re: RE: More Questions

Valtrics wrote:
Great app!

I find it really impressive that you beat DAO on hardest difficulty, I can barely get passed regular difficulty.

Good Luck with everything.

Mage + Arcane Warrior Specialization means you can use your magic attribute to both determine melee weapon damage and determine what armor you can wear. This means your mage can wear the best armor in the game. Plus, since in DAO, unlike D&D, all defensive spells stack with each other and with normal armor, and since the arcane warrior spec. gives you an ability to shift yourself into the fade, greatly boosting defense, you can cast half a dozen buffs on yourself that make you virtually invincible. Your DPS won't be as good as a real fighter, but you'll be able to take more hits.
Then in Awakening you place your second specialization in battlemage. This gives you an aura that drains the life of all the enemies around you, and also gives you a "stoicism" ability that causes any damage you take to regenerate your mana. Thus enemy hits you--> you gain mana--> mana powers aura that drains enemies health and heals you. As my brother put it, "why are the mobs hitting themselves"?
Plus, one of the weaknesses of the boss AI in that game (and in DA II) is that you can get them to follow your fighter around like a poppy dog by using taunt to maintain aggro while your ranged units kill it.

Lord Marvel wrote:

What classes did you enjoyed most while playing both D&D and SW D20? <RPG gamer here ^_^ >

In D&D I primarily played as an Elven Wizard. Magic missile and fire ball just can't be beat (in NWN 2 I used some NPC wizards casting magic missile + the Isaac's missile storm spells to kill a dragon!) I also believe at one point I played a cleric who had taken a vow of poverty and non violence (Feats contained in the Book of Exalted Deeds), and a Dwarven defender.
In SW d20 I played a Jedi Knight and my favorite feat was one that allowed you to absorb a blaster bolt (even if you didn't reflect it with your light saber). In my most recent run through of NWN 2 (which I think of as D&D b/c it operates under 3.5 rules) I decided to change things up, so I played an Aasmir monk. High saves in reflex,fort & will, high AC due to wisdom and dex, and monk spell resistance makes an almost untouchable tank, and I even had a sky high diplomacy score (if you've played the trial, I got Sand to say "wow, this guys so good, I think I'm actually learning a thing or two.")

Lord Marvel wrote:

Why did you never tried out any other MMO?
There are lots of really good titles out there, and at least one would probably fit your tasets Happy so why?

Being the mild perfectionist that I am (and also being someone who wants to get into law school), I've been very focused on school for the past four years, as well as a wide range of other extracurriculars, some mentioned in my application, and so haven't had a lot of time to play video games. Given the regular requirements of an MMORPG I figured I might not be able to make the time commitment. Additionally, I didn't have a very good computer, (only my black macbook), and so probably couldn't have played a lot of games even if I'd wanted to. Then, about a month and a half ago I graduated from college and built myself a brand new gaming rig as a present (something I'd been planing for sometime). Every since then I've been busy catching up on the sequels to the games I liked in high school (I'm actual not done...I'm barely 20 minutes into Fallout 3!!).
TOR was the first MMORPG I've stumbled upon since then, and it really piqued my interest. It seemed to have all the elements I'd liked in DAO and NWN, and the various trailers & etc. were very impressive. I was specifically attracted to the "story driven nature," which is what I've liked so much about past Bioware games. Plus, I'd played through so much fantasy recently that a switch back to a different setting seemed like a great idea.
This was particularly important vis-a-vis the classes. In many fantasy games you'll play a mage and it's kind of the same thing whatever game you happening to be playing: high DPS, AOE, no hit points, no armor (not that I don't enjoy that, but it's nice to have a change of pace). The character classes in TOR, while fitting into those standard old roles to a degree also diverge from them in a way that I find interesting. The Consular, for example, offers the opportunity for high DPS via telekinetics, while also offering the opportunity to use healing and defensive abilities to support the party, and also have some (probably quite limited) melee ability with a light saber.
I suppose more importantly, I hadn't ever really wanted to play a MMORPG before. I was satisfied with single player RPG games, a little RTS, etc. However, as I was playing through NWN 2 & DAO I realized how frustrating it can be to try to manage four characters all by yourself. Although it's possible, since the game has pausing, it slows down game play to a crawl. And I found that the artificial intelligence in those games for your party members just wasn't satisfactory. The games were very enjoyable, but they missed free flowing multiplayer tactical maneuvers. Similarly, I thought PVP would be fun because it would provide a greater tactical challenge (see my comment about some of the bosses in DAO above for contrast). Around the same time I came to these realizations I stumbled upon TOR, and it seemed like the perfect match. I suppose given more time I might have tried out another MMORPG, but given that I've found one that looks this great, why bother? (More specifically, since I take MMORPGS to be a pretty significant time commitment, I wouldn't want to play more than one at once).
Plus, I had heard of World of Warcraft and actually played a very small amount of that, as well as hearing about EverQuest, Eveonline, and some other games though I couldn't tell you any details about them. I've also had several friends who had played various MMORPGS, hence my limited familiarity with some of the terminology. I never really saw anything that made those games special in the way that I think TOR is.

Lord Marvel wrote:

Why taking a year break? Any specific reason? You don`t have to answer if it is personal Happy

Couple of reasons: 1) The Law school application process, especially the LSAT, is quite involved, so I didn't want to go through it the fall of my senior year while taking classes. 2) I was kind of burned out from college, internships, etc. and needed a break. I wanted to integrate more low-stress activities into my routine so as to enter law school, a very high stress, competitive environment, a more balanced person. Hence building myself a computer and playing more video games, Happy. I also plan to focus on my meditation practice, run more (with my new set of Vibram Five Fingers (the black ones, not that icky green color) purchased with my REI Dividend!), and do more low key hiking and camping (as opposed to backpacking, which can often be quite strenuous...especially when you get trapped in a snow storm!) I'd come to the conclusion that this would not only improve my law school experience but also probably allow me to perform better academically (studying all the time actually won't allow you to do as well as if you take breaks to have fun. Stress kills brain cells.) I may also get a part time job...we'll see how the year goes.
Lord Marvel

Thank you very much for answering and nice lengthy, detailed ones Happy

Though I think that NWN 2 was partially made on 4th edition... since Warlock class was added than, also Tiefling was added to basic races... though they have removed Assimar completely in 4th ed... and if it`s 3.5ed... than I wish there would be also Genasi, those are cool :D

Still... Dwarfs RULEZ! :D

Nolan.Sumar

Lord Marvel wrote:

What can I say? Philosophers are nothing if not verbose, Happy.
Clusterfact

Nolan.Sumar wrote:
Lord Marvel wrote:

What can I say? Philosophers are nothing if not verbose, Happy.

Amen lol. Good stuff, Nolan. big grin
Lord Marvel

Your application have been accepted, and so you are on our wait list now.

Please feel free to interact with our members, so that they can get to know you better Happy

Davi Jones

Your app was really long so I'm going to pretend I read it, "That was great!" (which im sure it was :P). Congrats on the waitlist ^_^

Grats on the wait-listing!
Don't run off terrified but...I have a tad of a crush on your application. Another person that understands the ease of an arcane warrior in DA:O! You made me want to go replay the game and expacs again.
Nolan.Sumar

Aveyn Tamai wrote:
Grats on the wait-listing!
Don't run off terrified but...I have a tad of a crush on your application. Another person that understands the ease of an arcane warrior in DA:O! You made me want to go replay the game and expacs again.

Let's just be glad DAO wasn't a MMORPG, because then the AW would have gotten nerfed in the first patch.
Nolan.Sumar

Lord Marvel wrote:
Your application have been accepted, and so you are on our wait list now.

Please feel free to interact with our members, so that they can get to know you better Happy

Thanks Marvel. Sounds good.
Legendkiller456

Congrats on being excepted Happy

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Celebrations, Awards and Ceremonies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum