Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> RP and Character Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
AstralProjection

re: What Type of Facility? [WeatherNet]

We have a couple options here:

Military (weapons research, defense research, garrison, weapons/armored vehicle stockpile)

Political (SpyNet information, other important data)

Scientific (Important experimental tech, not necessarily military, maybe genetic research, even)

Please add more suggestions here and post your ideas about what you like most.

____________________________________________________'

After we decide the facility, WHAT is it we are rescuing/liberating, aside from people?

Right now I'm leaning toward political or scientific. Especially political. Reason being, for the purposes of the story you'd have the highest civilian count, which would help explain why we put rescuing on such a high priority over the important information within. It would also explain why an important Republic official would be touring the facility at the time the surprise attack happens, to either review new espionage, or review some new scientific breakthrough.

From the list you provided, I feel that a scientific facility, while valuable, doesn't hold much bearing to Pax Republic, or our narrator.

I think a Political facility would be fitting (especially with espionage involved) and military personnel could be seen there so it would not be a stretch.

Last edited by Clusterfact on January 12, 2011 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
CMDR Blue R

It's Coruscant... Well... In my opinion... we should be assigned to protect someone (or few person maybe?) valuable and this person was supposted to wait next to ... refugees camp (or rather building. Big Coruscant Building). Sith attack, to get that person and we (as cinematic) arrived just in time and crossed Sith just before they get this camp. Our group with many innocent people inside is surrounded. In this camp, there was also someone from Corelia Goverment. He/She can be there to find someone from family, fro example.

Sith want this person we protected and attack this camp.
Look at this from outside. This "someone from Goverment"

Sith are going to attack and kill innocent, helpless people... And this group come to stop them! What's a heroes!

And from inside.

Valuable person is wounded and unconscious. We can't move him, so we must protect him (and also refugees). And Sith surround us! And now we must protect this one guy and all refugees. JUST GREAT!

And if we describe it from outside... We can skip true motivation and will be showed as heroes...

=============
Beware! Crazy user inside!
Other nickname: Finek
Kbrury

I think you might have missed the last few posts we had in the Plot Thread, we are going to go with what Amorl suggested with a little twist.

Durstalph

I don't know I just don't feel like a random facility is grand or identifiable enough. The Sith are attacking big important places like the Jedi Temple and the Senate, we need a setting equally recognizable and grand. The only other large and important structure I can think of is the Spaceport, and that works perfectly.

Think about it for a second, you have civilians and politicians fleeing the fighting trying to escape on ships, smugglers trying to get to their ships, troopers guarding this strategic building, Jedi landing with intent to rush to the aid of the temple, its utter chaos. And the Sith will be attacking, because they definitely want to lock down such an important structure.

So a certain young Jedi Knight gathers the other Jedi, the Troopers that are disorganized and falling back, and some Smugglers who are willing to fight, and mounts a heroic stand in the middle of the terminal itself. Epic.

The beleaguered defenders hold out till reinforcements arrive or a cease fire is called, and are hailed as heroes. These heroes become a light on a dark day, having won one of the few victories that day. The Republic wastes no time in putting that hero status to use, making the heroes of that day the core of a new initiative to ease fears and suffering both. Thus out of the ashes of Coruscant emerges Pax Republica.

Durstalph wrote:
I don't know I just don't feel like a random facility is grand or identifiable enough. The Sith are attacking big important places like the Jedi Temple and the Senate, we need a setting equally recognizable and grand. The only other large and important structure I can think of is the Spaceport, and that works perfectly.

Think about it for a second, you have civilians and politicians fleeing the fighting trying to escape on ships, smugglers trying to get to their ships, troopers guarding this strategic building, Jedi landing with intent to rush to the aid of the temple, its utter chaos. And the Sith will be attacking, because they definitely want to lock down such an important structure.

So a certain young Jedi Knight gathers the other Jedi, the Troopers that are disorganized and falling back, and some Smugglers who are willing to fight, and mounts a heroic stand in the middle of the terminal itself. Epic.

The beleaguered defenders hold out till reinforcements arrive or a cease fire is called, and are hailed as heroes. These heroes become a light on a dark day, having won one of the few victories that day. The Republic wastes no time in putting that hero status to use, making the heroes of that day the core of a new initiative to ease fears and suffering both. Thus out of the ashes of Coruscant emerges Pax Republica.

^This would simplify what we need in order to create a believable scenario for us to get involved with, though I like the dilema of choosing between the people or the valuable information.

Perhaps someone is leaving the port with valuable information and something happens from there? They lose it or someone steals it? Not sure how to work that into the story..
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Durstalph wrote:

I love this idea.

A Spaceport could work with the other Scenario, but maybe more of a private or military Spaceport. I don't know if a public spaceport would hold anything too valuable. Maybe some groups of civilians were sent to a military spaceport for protection but little did they know it was one of the Sith's targets.

The data could contain vital information on the Republic Navy's Fleets, locations and and maybe fleet composition. The original mission could involve disabling a certain mainframe before the Sith get to it to extract the data, but as posted in the other thread a decision has to be made to either get to the mainframe or save the people in the Spaceport.

Clusterfact

Kbrury wrote:
A Spaceport could work with the other Scenario, but maybe more of a private or military Spaceport. I don't know if a public spaceport would hold anything too valuable. Maybe some groups of civilians were sent to a military spaceport for protection but little did they know it was one of the Sith's targets.

The data could contain vital information on the Republic Navy's Fleets, locations and and maybe fleet composition. The original mission could involve disabling a certain mainframe before the Sith get to it to extract the data, but as posted in the other thread a decision has to be made to either get to the mainframe or save the people in the Spaceport.

big grin big grin big grin
Durstalph

A public spaceport could have private hangers. Maybe there is a prototype in one of the hangers that the Sith want to secure. If some Military Bigwig radios the defenders that they must protect the prototype at all costs, they would have to decide whether to protect the prototype or the civilians. Maybe they choose to destroy the prototype in order to keep it out of Sith hands.

Whatever object we choose won't be that important in the grand scheme of things. What I really want to stress is the dilemma, obviously we choose to save the people but we don't get to decide what happens to the object. I mean we do when writing the story but the Pax members would forfeit that mission, what happens to the object is out of our hands. Just my thinking behind it. :P

CMDR Blue R

Kbrury wrote:
I think you might have missed the last few posts we had in the Plot Thread, we are going to go with what Amorl suggested with a little twist.

No, I saw that. But I think it's too simple. Heroes sent to heroic mission, they succeed, end. It's too simple. And I can bet, that many guilds with story will be havin' something like that.
This is just suggestion, which lightly change this Amorl story.. Just change "place" and "why we were there", and "what was saved by us", and this is why we start this topic, isn't?

For example. SW.

Han Solo.
He rescued Princess Leia, because he want money. But this action push him into way to Rebellion Hero and later he don't think about money.

Lando Calrissian
He thought only about savin' him. But situation push him to rescue main characters and become hero of Rebellion

Luke Skywalker
He was looking for revenge, but situation (Corran Horn said this also broken Yada&Obi-Wan's conspiracy) push him to become a noble hero.

Noone of them become hero, because he was ordered to do that.
Ofc. Luke Skywalker was ordered to destroy the Death Star, but Han Solo wasn't. Luke don't be ordered to become noble hero.

In short:

Type of falicity: Refugees Camp
What are we rescue: Very valuable person, which was "forced" to enter that place and stuck there. And as good guys we also saved refugees. And we don't said anything that Refugees was atacked because of our mission. Propaganda need true heroes.
And why we was sent to Corelia: Because in this camp was our Important Official, looking for someone and he saw our heroism.

=============
Beware! Crazy user inside!
Other nickname: Finek
AstralProjection

I like the Spaceport idea a lot, because you could write some pretty exciting scenes involving a spaceport, and we all have very clear images of how to paint one in the story, I think.

My problem with it, is that this is during the sacking. The Spaceport is TOO important, IMO. If the Sith were holding Coruscant, until the treaty was signed, the one thing they would hold until the very end is the Spaceport, I would think.

I guess because it's Coruscant, there could be multiple spaceports. I would think the Spaceports would all be crawling with Sith, though.

I agree with Dustalph, btw...I don't want this to just be ANY building. I want this to be an important facility, with an official name, that would stand out to the reader.

I like the idea of a refugee camp, my problem with it is that I think in the other thread we decided the people were the most important, but we wanted to draw people with different motives. The troopers and Jedi would probably care about the camp, but not so much the smugglers, and we were hoping to draw the groups there for slightly different reasons, I believe, and make this an accidental synergy - how about this idea though, sort of a mish-mosh of a couple of the ideas we've had:

Republic Facility - Likely Military or Espionage related, or possibly a spaceport from what I'm hearing

Because of the size of the facility, and its high security design (it's an extremely important building, tbd) The Sith have decided to use it as a refugee camp/prison for rebels and sensitive prisoners (of particular importance).

Troopers attempt to strike to liberate some of the rebels who might help their cause.

Smugglers arrive to try to "liberate" some sort of valuable prize within the facility, having some kind of inside information letting them know that this important item is there.

Jedi arrive to rescue the high profile prisoners there at the request of the council, not knowing of the other two "surprise" visits already taking place.

The troopers strike first, creating havoc, the havoc blocks the access to the mystery prize the smugglers are after. The smugglers are forced to fight their way through enraged Sith trying to kill anything with a pulse, and end up staying longer than they intended after seeing them go for some civs for no reason, etc. Then the reinforcements for the Sith arrive and they're all forced to work together, and end up putting the prisoners first above the prize.

The high profile prisoner that we end up rescuing was intelligent enough to liberate whatever the smuggler's prize was from destruction at the hands of the Sith, while crawling through vents or something, avoiding detection, until he's located by the Jedi.

We'll have to include a some loss of life on our side too, I feel. The writers who write the individual POV's will have to throw in some NPC's from their imagination that they describe enough for the reader to like and identify with, but not so much that they're super disappointed when they die. We can also create a couple civilian "hero" NPC's that take up arms from fallen troops and rush to join the trooper's ranks. It will physically show the actual connection between Pax and the people.

This sounds like something kind of for the plot thread - but what I'm trying to convey is that we can really work the refugee camp idea into almost any facility, because during the sacking there would be lots of makeshift garrisons and prisons. We just need to pick a location worth all the trouble.

The way I see it, I kind of squeezed exactly the dramatic events CMDR outlined into the setting of this important building or spaceport. I like the way you laid it out, CMDR, I was thinking something very similar, I just think this should be MORE than just a refugee camp.

Last edited by AstralProjection on January 13, 2011 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total

Kbrury wrote:
Whatever object we choose won't be that important in the grand scheme of things. What I really want to stress is the dilemma, obviously we choose to save the people but we don't get to decide what happens to the object. I mean we do when writing the story but the Pax members would forfeit that mission, what happens to the object is out of our hands. Just my thinking behind it. :P

I wouldn't say that the object shouldn't be important, so much that like you said, we shouldn't get to decide its fate. That's why I think for the purpose of this, the guy getting rescued should actually save the sensitive object because he knows it's there too (that's one of the reasons he was touring this location, whether it's a spaceport or facility). He'll get the credit for saving it, and get included in the "heroes" of the mission, and that's how he ends up with his post, Liason to this new group. Everyone gets "promoted" essentially, who survives this daring rescue.

Whatever the object is shouldn't be a Sith or Jedi artifact that we'd actually be interested in. It should be something of material importance to the government, ideally I think, like data/espionage or secret weapons/defense research.

My only concern with a refugee camp is that it would take weeks to set one up and have people transported there. How quickly are we reacting to the sacking? My impression was that it was an almost instantaneous reaction.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> RP and Character Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: