Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Applications and Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iolo'pax
Officer

re: Introduction: Iolo'pax

Howdy Hi Everyone!

Name is Ian, 39 from Suburbs of Chicago. Long time player of SWTOR and SWG before that. Many of my friends are into MMO, but believe it or not I don't game with them. They go hard core for 6 months or so, quit, and then switch to the next hyped up one. Nothing wrong with that, but I tend to only play a game that I like and if i like the game, I don't see the need to jump ship. I like that SWTOR has held my interest so long, and I never tried joining a guild. In fact in wasn't until the very first Gree event that I started grouping with people. Since that eye opening experience, I spend most of my time in game in Group finder and PVP/GSF but have never done any HM content or Ops. Well, at least nothing over level 50 that I can't solo/duo. I have seen Pax Republica Members in game doing all of the things I enjoy, from Flashpoints and In Game events, to Datacron hunting and PVP. In fact some of my alts showed up in the pictures section of this site where people showed their PvP achievements. I am excited to experience the game on this new level. So guilding is a new thing for me, I hope everyone is patient as I learn the ropes on etiquette and tactics.

Outside the game, I am someone who doesn't quite fit the mold for any one stereotype. I do IT support as my profession, but don't l breath technology and NEED the newest gadgets.  I love being outside but know almost nothing about the outdoors. I camp once a year but it is outside a racetrack. I love car shows but usually only like the ones from the malaise era. A true jack of all trades and master of none.

As far as my personality, you all will make up your minds as to what I am I suppose. I tend to be low key and even keeled on most days, but my sense of humor tends 'out there'. I have only used Mumble with friends and I am usually quiet with strangers. Probably because I don't really have an indoor voice hehe.

So looking around at other Member introductions, I see lots of views but only a few posts back. With the exception of Nwahs, who seems very friendly.  Who else is out there lurking? Drop a post and tell me where you are likely to be found on a given night in game. I know I will meet many of you to complete my trials, but I am just trying to get a sense of who likes to do what or what folks routines are.

Cheers!

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Yes, I have been trying to model for people to also introduce themselves, but no one is doing it!  I'll make a post about that or change the Message of the Day in game :)

Anyway, Ian, nice to meet you!  Is it Lolo'Pax, or Iolo'pax, like "eye-olo-pax"?   And how'd you come up with that name?    Seems fitting you're in Pax Republica and pax is in your name :)

So you may have read about me in other threads, but I'm a 27 year old single guy in New Hampshire, in love with star wars, hockey, football, and movies :)  I am a high school world history teacher.  Hope to play with you soon!

First let me say that I am awful at picking names.. for anything.  Since this character was going to be  Jedi Knight and ultimately be my main character, I wanted something special. One that could be recognized in a group, taken seriously in an RP encounter, or even divulge some of my interests without being over the top hoeky.

Most of the games I played growing up that caught my eye were fantasy/medieval based, so I would typically just take a name from a genre that suited it. Names like Atlas, Ajax, Fireforge etc. Most of the time, especially pre-MMO the name wouldn't really add any dimension to the games so I never tried to come up with any new ones.

For Star Wars, I didn't want to use any of those names. I felt like I would be out of place. When I played Sci-fi genre games (i.e. Xcom) I would use Orion Pax, Optimus Prime's original name.  But in the MMO world, with Transformers movies out there, I felt like that would be too much, and would be discounted as a novelty name, and stereotyped as a novelty player.

Iolo (ee-yo-lo) was a character in the Ultima RPG series which later became Ultima Online. That was my very first MMO (Actually might have been the very first graphical MMO). Quite often in gen-chat people reminisce about older games they played.

So I blended the two together and Iolo'pax came to life :) I like it because as I say it it rolls of my tongue much like  Qui-gon Jin so I feel like it is a good fit in this universe. Though I admit I am worried Pax Rebuplica will insist I have to change if i want to join up.

I am pretty passionate about hockey myself. I forget the thread I was looking at but I think i remember you mentioning you were a devils fan (Let me know If I am wrong). I am a Pens fan myself. I am gonna guess you are a Patriots fan as well? I don't follow football myself, my friends killed it for me with Fantasy Football, but don't have any problems with it. I know you said world history (you much have one heck of a memory) but do you focus on a particular era?

I do like that you are active in the forums. When I was looking at other guild websites the first thing i did was look in their forums and see how much active was there or when the last post was. I think it may have been a key factor in applying :)

Awarded:

NO, you will not have to change your name silly :-)

I am a Bruins fan!  Yup, being in New England, I like all the Boston teams, but I'm also a huge Denver Broncos fan too.  

Yes, we focus on Ancient Greece, Rome, the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, French Revolution, World Wars I and II. :)

Bruins are changing it up quite a bit today.

Hi Iolo-P!  You've taken a lot of time to write a nice intro, so I should oblige and introduce myself.  I'm Jeronimop, and most times that I log on, Tiffs begins singing Geronimo (Bombs Away), which suites me just fine.  It's a catchy tune.

Anyway, I am a mid-30s married guy, pushing papers during the day and saving the galaxy at night.  Due to the intricacies of having a non-gaming wife, most of the time that I am technically in game I am soloing something or other because the wife doesn't exactly understand why an in-game activity is a valid reason not help her with whatever she needs at that moment.  Despite that, the fine folks of Pax Republica invite me to join in things anyway, and I appreciate it!     

Jeronimop
Member - 2 years

Oh, I should also mention to you both, as a native Michigander, Hockeytown baby, Hockeytown. 

Eosque
Officer

Hi Iolo'pax!

Welcome!  I'm Eosque, you can call me E-O, I'm still pretty new in Pax, but it's been a blast so far.  I'm a returning player from launch, so i'm new to most things swtor. Everyone in Pax has been super helpful and getting me into raiding and gearing since I returned to swtor and joined about a month ago.

You called me out in your post, I'm a habitual lurker (reddit, forum, etc) and i need to break the habit :)  As I like the active Pax forum, and i'm usually lurking around here during the day.

I saw you're a former SWGer, do you get all starry-eyed nostalgic for it?  I do for sure.  I know Travis and I have reminisced a couple time in ts already.  I was a Bounty Hunter, for the Republic of course, and loved everything SWG (jtl, crafting, exploring, etc)

I'm a hockey fan as well, but haven't followed closely since they sold my kinda local team(Atlanta Thrashers).  I do enjoy a game of NHL 14(hopefully 16 soon on xbone if it's any good), I'm a bit of goon though.

I know the struggle with picking a name, my name is actually a random generated from my first MMO character on SWG (Eosque Tieptale).  I was creating my first ever character, and had my named all thought and typed out(don't remember what it was now) and right before i clicked the final submit, my name was some how randomized(I might have hit the random button by mistake and not noticed). So I ended up with Eosque and stuck to it ever since, ordained from the RNG gods. (or random alpha if you want to get all technical)

I work in IT too, I'm a QA Analyst and do mostly test automation and scripting.

I'm in-game most weeknights 7-10 central time, and all over on the weekends.  I'm up for whatever's going on really (PVE, PVP, GSF, Lvling, etc), honestly i usually log on, see what's going on in guildchat and go from there.  Which lately has been PvE ops mostly.  So feel free to hit me up or invite me along to whatever, it's all pretty new/fresh to me.

Look forward to seeing you in-game!

Iolo'pax
Officer

Jeronimop wrote:

Hi Iolo-P!  You've taken a lot of time to write a nice intro, so I should oblige and introduce myself.  I'm Jeronimop, and most times that I log on, Tiffs begins singing Geronimo (Bombs Away), which suites me just fine.  It's a catchy tune.

Anyway, I am a mid-30s married guy, pushing papers during the day and saving the galaxy at night.  Due to the intricacies of having a non-gaming wife, most of the time that I am technically in game I am soloing something or other because the wife doesn't exactly understand why an in-game activity is a valid reason not help her with whatever she needs at that moment.  Despite that, the fine folks of Pax Republica invite me to join in things anyway, and I appreciate it!     

Well  Jeronimop, thank you very much for getting that song stuck in my head now  ;)

Ahh yes... the non-gaming counterpart.. a stressful breed indeed! Many Republic loyalists have been crushed under the boot of champions when they beckon. It is also interesting that they never seem to need anything until you start playing. hehe. Must be like a line of sight thing. If only we could CC them in real life hehe.

Hockey town, NICE! You guys are going through some very big changes. New coach and a new arena as well. I actually respect the Wings very much, and love they way they have played the game. The back to back Cup Finals against the Pens was awesome!

I look forward to seeing ya online  :)

Iolo'pax
Officer

Eosque wrote:

Hi Iolo'pax!

Welcome!  I'm Eosque, you can call me E-O, I'm still pretty new in Pax, but it's been a blast so far.  I'm a returning player from launch, so i'm new to most things swtor. Everyone in Pax has been super helpful and getting me into raiding and gearing since I returned to swtor and joined about a month ago.

You called me out in your post, I'm a habitual lurker (reddit, forum, etc) and i need to break the habit :)  As I like the active Pax forum, and i'm usually lurking around here during the day.

I saw you're a former SWGer, do you get all starry-eyed nostalgic for it?  I do for sure.  I know Travis and I have reminisced a couple time in ts already.  I was a Bounty Hunter, for the Republic of course, and loved everything SWG (jtl, crafting, exploring, etc)

I'm a hockey fan as well, but haven't followed closely since they sold my kinda local team(Atlanta Thrashers).  I do enjoy a game of NHL 14(hopefully 16 soon on xbone if it's any good), I'm a bit of goon though.

I know the struggle with picking a name, my name is actually a random generated from my first MMO character on SWG (Eosque Tieptale).  I was creating my first ever character, and had my named all thought and typed out(don't remember what it was now) and right before i clicked the final submit, my name was some how randomized(I might have hit the random button by mistake and not noticed). So I ended up with Eosque and stuck to it ever since, ordained from the RNG gods. (or random alpha if you want to get all technical)

I work in IT too, I'm a QA Analyst and do mostly test automation and scripting.

I'm in-game most weeknights 7-10 central time, and all over on the weekends.  I'm up for whatever's going on really (PVE, PVP, GSF, Lvling, etc), honestly i usually log on, see what's going on in guildchat and go from there.  Which lately has been PvE ops mostly.  So feel free to hit me up or invite me along to whatever, it's all pretty new/fresh to me.

Look forward to seeing you in-game!

Thanks for Writing EO :)

I do miss SWG. The Bounty Hunting/Jedi mechanic was awesome. I also loved what you had to go through to be a Jedi. The starfighter portion I loved too, especially when you could have other players with you manning the guns! It wasn't perfect by any means, but I wish it lasted longer than it did. That's why I jumped on SWTOR when it launched too.

I do like that story about your name though, especially about the randomization. It could be interesting to put your names into an anagram generator and see what it comes up with for suggestions haha.

I am on Central too, usually 7-11pm on days i play during the week. The weekend depend on RL commitments. Sometimes it is only for an hour or so, others it is a 14 hour marathon.

Automation and scripting... things I could never do. I am the worst typist in the IT world. I don't think I have ever written a script and didn't make a typo. I am sad to say I am pretty much GUI dependent.

I look forward to seeing you In-game as well!  :)

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Applications and Introductions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum