View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
ATownArmy
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

re: Star Wars Episode VII: A Discussion Thread

My first questions:

1) So they're wiping the Extended Universe slate clean, the only cannon is the 6 movies and a few things Disney has done like Star Wars Rebels (which I am actually excited about and I don't know why). But some of the stuff they are making cannon alludes to things from the EU. So they are not just throwing it all out, but I think just saying that they don't HAVE to abide by it. Would you be upset if the 3rd generation of Solo-Skywalkrs are not Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, and Ben? I have a feeling they're going to throw out that entire storyline, but I would love if they would at least keep the names. Thoughts?

2) Where do you think they go with the story? I've heard rumors that Luke is going full dark side, but those were VERY speculative and I don't think seeded in that much fact. Plus I don't think the movies will feature him that much. They know Han is the more interesting character and Harrison Ford the more talented actor, I could see them using Han and Leia as more central to the story and Luke as more of an Uncle to them rather than highlighting him in a father/leadership role.

Last edited by ATownArmy on October 16, 2014 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

Luke going to the dark side is taken from the EU books (Original Thrawn Trilogy).  Luke encounters a clone of the emperor and is slowly seduced to the dark side before coming back to the light.  Also in that book, a clone of Luke is made which Mara Jade fights, etc., etc., Happily ever after.

I was hoping they got into the Jedi academy forming up and Luke's search for the next jedi Order.  I know the books weren't the best received but I think the story line had potential.

Jacen
Branch™
Veteran

Awarded:

Jacen*

I'm going into the movies with an open and accepting mind. I'm upset that all the stuff about the Solos and Ben will no longer be talked about or expanded upon. The Legacy of the Force series was awesome with a better falling to the darkside story than the Prequels had. But I'm coming around to fully accepting it and should be fine when the movies come out.

But yeah, I have no idea what the plot will be. Like Prife said tho, I'd want them to talk about the Jedi Academy and the differences between Old and New. Love to see some Katarn, Mara and others.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Do you mean Episode VII?

I am super pumped that we are getting a new storyline that won't have Ben Skywalker and the Solo Twins etc.  The reason for that is we already have awesome books that play out that awesome storyline... now we get a WHOLE NEW STAR WARS STORYLINE full of great characters and adventures.  We don't have to see them try to squeeze the old EU story into movies which would surely anger us as they cut things out, etc. like any books made into movies.

I think whatever they do will be fine. Hopefully it's as great as the original, but I think that either way them "wiping the slate clean" is really what Star Wars is about. It's one of the few (if only, although Star Trek did this) franchises that started out in film and then moved on to other media.

So by "wiping the slate," (which I don't really think is proper terminology since movies have been and will always be canon for better or worse) they're actually keeping the core essence of Star Wars alive I think. Abrams et al. are doing what Lucas did in 1977: exercising his right to film making.

I've heard good things about it, even someone saying that "It's not even the sequel to Return of the Jedi; it's the sequel to Empire. It's just that good." And that was from one guy, from one day on set. Reportedly they have physical sets and prosthesis for aliens rather than CGI.

Found the source/video (Edgy language etc.): http://fansided.com/2014/07/27/kevin-smith-talks-star-wars-episode-vii-set-visit-comic-con-video/

I'll be making several fact-checking edits to this most likely.

"Did I fire six shots or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever."

ATownArmy
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

Sorry for the typos, yes it's Episode VII and Jacen. 

So listening to Kevin smith it seems like at least Episode VII, if not all of them, will heavily feature the original cast, more so than just cameos to tie the story together as they pass it on to their kids. I'm excited about that. Is there any character outside of the core cast from the original trilogy youd like to see the most?

For me I'd love to see Wedge Antilles. I had to just IMDB the actor that played him, Denis Lawson, and it doesnt mention him being involved in Episode VII, but he's still acting so I think if they were going to use him, it'd be public knowledge. So that's sad :-(

Awarded:

At first I was crushed that my beloved EU got exploded. I "get" why it had to be done, though - the early days of the EU was the wild-wild west and its really hard to start picking and choosing what to include. I personally do not want a dark-side luke storyline in Ep VII though... That stuff could have happened in the 30 year interlude but in my head Luke has his stuff together by now.

The recent concept art to appear makes me super happy though - I feel like they have the "feel" down! That AT-AT base is awesome and dat trooper.

https://imageshack.com/user/themillenniumfalcon

As for OGs returning, I second Wedge - he had a pretty badass life in the EU and reproducing that could be great. 

Lohgan
Kod1ak
Member - 4 Years

I am excited for the new movies. As long as they are better than the prequels I will be a happy guy. I loved the original trilogy and I enjoyed the prequels (even though they weren't nearly as good). If these new movies fall somewhere in the middle...I can live with that. I'd rank the original trilogy on a scale somewhere between 8 and 10 depending on the movies. The prequels I'd say were more in the 5-6 range.

As far as plot, I have heard all kinds of things. One is that Luke is the main villain. Mark Hamill is actually a very good actor. He does amazing voice work. I could see them making him evil but that would ruin a childhood hero for many. I really hope they don't go that direction.

The other plot that I have heard is that Luke was captured by the Inquisitors. Han and Leia's daughter is looking for him and goes and finds Han and Chewie to help find him and thus they are off on their adventure.

Who knows if any of this is true. A bunch of stuff has leaked but who knows how much is legit and if any of it is a smokescreen leaked to throw people of the track. I honestly don't want too much spoiled. I really would love to watch and be totally surprised by the movie. It's so hard to have that happen in this digital age.

Veteran

Awarded:

I really hope they don't make Luke the villain. That'd be silly and ruin the OT's point.

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me.... and now a bad guy... MWAHAHAHA!!!!"

ATownArmy
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

I think if they really want to expand this universe, do the spin off movies, and make Star Wars into a new movie every 2 years, forever, you need a LARGE cast of villains, and major ones. I could see "so-and-so falls to the dark side" being a thing they do every 5 or so movies, but starting off the series with Luke Skywalker is kinda...   drastic. I think they already have a TON of plot ideas, but I think Luke becoming a Sith Lord is too much too soon.

What made the Original trilogy what it was (great, epic, genre-defining) is that it wasn't just an action story, but a true epic about fundamental human issues. A boy searching for a life in this crazy galaxy, finding the man who killed his father. A struggling rebel group trying to survive the iron fist of a huge empire, trying to make what little impact they can, fighting an impossible battle.

I think these movies will go back to that. Whatever the plot is, it will center around fundamental human issues. Love, life, and death. Shakespeare in a galaxy far far away. I think JJ Abrams will catch that vibe that though this is just the story of a few small people, it's REALLY a story about what it means to be a human. 

So to that, I say the villain will be something subtle, like deception, greed, with a "Darth Dudeguy" standing in as the overt bad guy, but who really is only a small part of the larger antagonist plot.

Lando is totally in the movie. 

It'll be the Khan moment of E7. 

Laaaaaaaaaaandooooooooo!

Lohgan
Kod1ak
Member - 4 Years

They just announced that Wicket is in Ep VII...nooooooooo...not Ewoks...lol. I think it's just a cameo...I am okay with just a cameo.

I agree...what is so great about Luke is that he overcame the odds and didn't fall to the emperor. I know in the expanded universe they show him falling briefly to the dark side...but then he came back. I'd be okay if they did that...but if they just start with him there...it's like WTF happened? How did he get there? And if he's been missing for 30 years...how do we have new Jedi then?

Awarded:

Warrick (wicket) played other characters too.   he was the little rodian in episode 1.  if he is returning has Wicket that's fine but i think he's going to play some other creature.

Officer

Star Wars VII: Ewoks vs. Wookies.  I can't wait!

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

There's a topic:  What do we think the title will be?

We had A New Hope, then Return of the Jedi to finish this cycle of the Jedi-return story-line.  If they follow the pattern, the first movie will be three words, second movie will be four words, and the third movie will be four words with of the in the middle.  

My guess is:  Episode VII: The Lost Hero

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: