View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soulless
/soul
Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

re: Geforce GTX 980 Released!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review

The GTX 980 looks like a beast and is under $600.  If you're looking for a single gpu powerhouse, this is the one to get.  the GTX 970 and GTX 980 in SLI mode will be reviewed by anandtech next week.  

The GTX 970 in SLI might be the best performance for the money.  However, I'm starting to really dislike SLI and may begin to prefer powerful single cards.

I currently have GTX 580 in SLI mode, so I will be upgrading to either GTX 980 or GTX 970 SLI, waiting on reviewed and availability from Amazon.  Everything is currently not in stock or 2-4 weeks until shipment.

I have a 470 and that thing gets so hot and the fan screams trying to run SWTOR. No other game has that issue but I can hear the fan running like a hurricane when I launch SWTOR. I have 2 running SLI but I imagine in the next year or two I will be due for an upgrade. I usually build a new system every 3-5 years. I got my current system about 6 months before SWTOR came out so it will be 3.5 years old this Christmas. Right now I really don't have much I can't run with full graphics but my does come close to lagging at certain times with some games. As new more advanced games come out next year...I imagine I will start to see that I have to lower specs.

Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

I try to keep to every 2-3 years but it can get expensive.

I think sli is something that can be skipped on most desktop gaming machines. You're better off getting a single higher end card rather than 2 slightly cheaper cards. The exception is probably going to be if you are running multiple monitors at extremely high resolutions.

Soulless
/soul
Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

Which I am  dual 1440p, but gaming on one and using the other for multitasking.

Yeah that was my original plan when I built my machine. But then I had some stuff come up and a buddy got a job and moved out of my apartment. I had the master bedroom and an office. I ended up renting a room at my friend's house while I look to buy and the place is tiny so now I don't have the space to have two monitors on my desk. Hopefully next year sometime I will have a place of my own and the room to set up a nice gaming rig on a nice table with 2 monitors...one to play on and the other to have all my browsing windows open and other multitasking stuff.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: