Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Applications and Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draelenn-TacoHell

re: Draelenn's Introduction

Me:

I am an avid Star Wars enthusiast who is not pleased at all that the EU (as I understand it) has been relegated to non-canon status by JJ Abrams.  I've read the Thrawn Trilogy, and it deserves better.  Sure, there's a lot of crap in the EU (now the Legends) universe, but I don't see why we had to do it this way.  Despite this, I am still super jazzed about Episode 7!

I'm a boring consultant IRL, but I am fun after hours.  I have 3 dogs, a cat, and am married.  My first dog is my avatar - she was a rescue.  I'm passionate about dogs, generally.  They're like my crack, and so my wife has to stop me from adopting them constantly.

I am a bookworm.  I love to read - novels, random Internet stuff, history, etc.  I love Film Noire. Think the Maltese Falcon, which I still try to show to anyone who will watch.  My books lately have tended towards the LA Noire theme - thank you Harry Bosch.  I also love the Robert B. Parker novels - RIP my good man.  You may have seen Tom Selleck playing one of his characters, Jesse Stone, on some pretty decent made-for-TV movies (they're on netflix too).

Btw, I am a cord-cutter when it comes to TV, etc.  Let me know what else you want to know?

My Toon(s):

My main toon is Draelenn Brand.  I played at launch, leveled to 50, and quickly became frustrated with the combat spec (at that time).  I tried respeccing to Watchman, and I liked it marginally better, but wished the bursty combat spec I planned to play since pre-launch had proven more effective.  Still, Draelenn was my first and, therefore, main toon.

However, lately, I have been leveling a trooper tank (don't throw stones) and love him.  Great fun, and I love the trooper story almost as much as the knight story (which was the best part of being a knight to me - story was awesome).  I'm still going to try Draelenn out for a run here really soon to see what has changed in the sentinel specs, though.  I'm thinking of respeccing back to combat -what do y'all think?  Or should I stay watchman?

Good to meet y'all!

Gilthresa
Member - 1 Year

Combat is a pretty straightforward spec. It bases itself around your precision window, and getting as much dmg done in that period as you can, and then maintaining until the CD comes back up again. Always pair your clashing blast with precision, and your precision with clashing blast (and Ideally a Dispatch proc). Overall, it's a pretty simple spec that doesn't take very long to get pretty competent at.

Watchman on the other hand is completely fucked up. It does the highest sustained dummy damage in the game I believe if you're in optimized gear, but it's damn near impossible to maintain the up-time necessary to do those numbers in a real life application. That spec is based around using merciless every CD, and keeping all 3 of your dots up (cauterize, force melt, and blazing saber), but none of those have cooldowns that pair well with merciless, so you're constantly watching your target's debuff bar and reapplying dots. It also has focus management issues with just zealous strike, so you have to use leap (which has its min distance length reduced to 0 with the watchman only) to generate focus. All in all, it's not a bad spec per say, it's just really hard to be decent at, and it has like 0 burst.

Basically, Combat = Burst, and Watchman = Sustained.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Welcome to the guild man!

About your comment on EU status:  1. I don't think JJ Abrams had anything to do with that decision ;)

and 2. does it really matter if those stories are "canon" or not?  They still exist and are still awesome, now we just get another timeline to live through

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum