Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Applications and Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wylan
jpotter56
Veteran

Awarded:

re: Wylan, Dirty gunslinger of dirty fighting

Hey all you new members (and the old ones too!) Reintroducing myself to unveteran meself. Since my first post, I have had quite a few life changes. I am now living in the great city of Fort Collins, Colorado. I am now a proud veteran of the US Navy (Feel free to ask almost anything about submarines, and I'll answer as much as I can, bear in mind that I can get put in prison and fined for some of the things I know.)

I now work for a company called ASML that makes photolithography tools. What is photolithography you may ask? It is using light of very short wavelengths (all UV, The tools I work on use 365 nm, but there are tools that go as short in wavelength as 13.5nm) to change the characteristics of a coating on a wafer, generally silicon, but can also be saphire, Gallium Arsenide, or various other materials. The coating that wasn't exposed is then rinsed off, leaving the exposed resist on the wafer. That preserves those area on the wafer from being altered.  This process is repeated many times to produce the chips that are used in all of the electronics we use today. I am a customer service engineer at a place called Avago. They make many chips for mobile phones, there is a very good chance that their chips are in all your phones. If you get phones in the future, there is also a chance  that one of my tools had a part in making it a reality.

I work from 3-midnight M-F which led to my going veteran, due to  lack of guild and server activity.

SO, the tl;dr of this all is: Coming back, new city, new job, new hours, glad that pax is growing

Awarded:

Soooo.... computers.

The real question is: Who's your favorite ATown?

Heya Wylan.... Wow.. the Nordiques? Nice. One of my younger brothers is a nuke in the Navy and just got his first assignment out of school to the Seawolf out in WA. The boat was out at sea when he arrived and I am not sure when it is supposed to come back. He isn't doing anything other than working out. My brother is worried they only go out on a couple deployments per year which means he will be doing nothing for the rest of the year. I know you can't break confidentiality but I thought subs are out more than they are in dock. How many cruises would you say you averaged per year?

Looking forward to seeing ya online!

Awarded:

Fast boats go out very often. The only make a 6 month deployment once about  every 2 years. In between, he may have out to sea periods from 4 days (the shortest one I did,) to 3 months (the longest not deployment out to sea period I did.) Usually it will be out for a week or 2, in for a week or 2, rinse repeat. Tell him not to worry, he will have PLENTY to do, probably more than he would ever want. Especially as a nuke (I was one.) His first 12-18 months onboard are gonna be hell, and he should work out as much as he can right now, because the time for that will get short once the boat gets back.

Awarded:

Glad to have you back!

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum