Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Applications and Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synaes

re: Learning to tank

Hello all,

I recently joined the guild and am going through the trials at the moment. I've been meaning to join up with people and work on some of the content but have been hesitant to jump into ops and such. The main reason for this is that, while I've leveled as a Defense Guardian, I've only really tanked for Doc. He hasn't really complained. Then again, I don't know about you, but I'm not too sure I can trust that guy's opinion on things. Other then that, I've traditionally played DPS classes in games, so I know all about how to blame the tank for things, just not so much how to tank myself.

I've been working on wrapping my head around http://pax-republica.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9912854&gid=118791 so that I can make some sort of contribution aside from just crafting conquest mats. I've already seen some utility and gearing choices I need to adjust. Aside from that, the article is just 'information in a vacuum' until I can actually try it out. I tend to learn by doing more so then hearing/reading. Unfortunately, this learning method can be painful for those involved (well, trying if not 'painful').

That in mind; Any Knights (or any other class really) willing to go through a bit of trial and error? I was thinking small group content might be best, but open to suggestions. As I mentioned in my app thread, I've played almost entirely solo up until now which seems like a bit of a waste of a tank. :)

Aside from sacrificial lambs, I'm looking for criticism and feedback. In all fairness, I'm looking for criticism/feedback to improve my tanking, but I will accept compliments on my dashing, good looks and/or biting wit. Also, praise regarding my sense of modesty would be welcome. ;)

I'm usually on after 9 PM Eastern and realize this can conflict with normally scheduled guild events so would try to do any sort of in-game learning on nights where things are scheduled earlier (or nothing is scheduled). In addition to in-game activities, any other links that may be useful in learning how to properly roll my face across the keyboard would be appreciated.

If nothing else, I haven't been overly vocal in TS, so hopefully this will give me the chance to get familiar with a few of you as well as make for some good stories down the line: "remember when Ashas was learning to tank and [insert embarrassing incident here]?" Or, "remember when  Ashas was learning to tank? Man, I'm glad he switched to DPS." :)

thanks

Empiricus
Empiricis
Officer

Yeah sure I can run you through some flashpoints and what not, see how your lightsaber form is. 

I should be on about 9 as well, so we'll see if we can get something going about then.

Tech Officer

Awarded:

Absolutely! And anytime we have a story mode ops forming, please don't be shy to speak up and say "I'm learning how to tank and would love to learn this op!". One of the experienced tanks (and there's almost always someone around) will generally be happy to walk you through the tank mechanics for the particular raid and offer constructive criticism as we go :).

Synaes

Thanks. Honestly, I don't have an idea how forgiving various content is, so that has been a big part of my hesitation. I just hate the idea that I am wasting people's time...so I come here and ask if anyone will let me waste their time..makes sense right? :P

Kidding aside, i appreciate the responses and look forward to learning a thing or two. Hopefully there is still some brain capacity left for both this and my daughter trying to teach me how to play Pokemon....If you ever here me say "Pikachu, use Iron Tail" during an OP, you'll know something has broken....

edit: also, may be late or not on this evening due to emergency furnace service. Seems there is no hot water in my house and someone is working on it now, so can't really focus on game until that is done...

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Haha, tanking for doc, that made me chuckle :)  Welcome!  I like to consider myself a pretty skilled Guardian tank, and I'd love to take you on as somewhat of a Padawan :)

I am also there for ya. I am a DPS, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. If you need someone to tag along on an OP or flashpoint, just let me know!

Thanks all. I see there are a number of guild events scheduled for the coming nights, but I should be around after 9. Thurs/Fri/Sat look to be open, so I'll plan to set those evening's aside if anyone is around those nights.

Nwahs, I believe you mentioned disliking grinding flashpoints in the Conquest thread. That said, would the next conquest event be a good way to 'dual purpose' my attempts to tank? Previously, all my contributions to conquest were from crafting, but if that's not going to be as viable next time around, then flashpoints look attractive. I just don't want to slow people down hitting their personal goals since  I know a lot of people have alts they want to grind it on as well.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Yes, with Conquest, and the fact that some may want to learn to do Flashpoints or get that starter PvE gear, I'd be willing to do a few flashpoints :D

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum