View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

re: Played Batman Arkham City/Origins on PC?

Has anyone played Arkham City/Origins on PC?  I'm thinking about trying it since I no longer have a console.  After so many years of loving that feeling of a controller in my hand, I am like nervous about what it would be like to do an action game that isn't a shooter on PC.  Do the controls feel right?  Seems weird without an analog stick.

Shawn, you do know, that you can just buy console controller and connect it to PC?

For example, I`m using X360 controller to play lots of games on PC :) (played Arkham City with it)

Also Arkham City is great game, I really enjoyed it :)

Arkham Origins, I would advice against it, since there are still bugs that sometimes prevent you from progressing through the game, and developer seems to be unable to handle them...

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Honestly, I kind of knew that but forgot it!  And I remember trying to use those back in like 2001 and they were unreliable so it left a bad taste in my mouth, but I bet with USB it's pretty easy now huh?  lol.  

Could I do that with BF4 as well?

Sounds good about Origins thank you Happy

And it just occurred to me that I could download a Demo from Steam so I'll try that out too Happy

Awarded:

WTF!!  I didn't realize I could take the Xbox 360 controllers I already had and just download a driver and plug it into my computer!  I thought you had to go out and buy a special cable or something!  I'm such a nooooob!

thehehehe. well, enjoy your game then! :D

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Except that it's about 2 hours later and I still can't use it  Yeah.  It won't work on my PC.  Freaking figures.  

All well, time to try the demo with PC controls anyway Happy

Awarded:

I won't lie, the 15 minute demo with PC controls was fun!  I don't know why I thought I'd have a tough time getting used to it. 

well it IS different than to playing with a controller, so there's really no surprise in being a little wondering about it. hehe. some games really do play better with a controller or on the PC, so it's not a completely out-of-thin-air complain or whatever. (for example I thought that the first dragon age played a lot better on PC than on the console, but I liked DA2 better on console)

I don't have arkham for PC so I wouldn't be able to compare -.-

either way, pretty damn good game(s), so enjoy yourself :D

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Swishiest
SwishiestBog
Veteran Officer

Awarded:

I beat Arkham Asylum 4 times (on my 5th time right now) and City once on the PC.

There are some issues with the mouse + keyboard set-up for City. If I recall correctly, combat wise, your gadgets become a confusing mess. Of course, that's only if you care about using them all.

But aside from that, I prefer the mouse + keyboard. In combat I've always found it allowed a good flow, which is important.

Place your trust in the Swishtem, for the Swishtem trusts you.
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Yeah, in shooters I like it a lot, I'm doing pretty well with BF4.  I can't imagine playing a game like Super Mario 64 or some kind of 3D platformer without an analog stick.  I can imagine the gadgets being crazy but I'll figure it out.

I do wish someone could solve my Xbox controller problem.  Maybe I should buy a specially designed xbox controller that is made for PCs?

Awarded:

Just connecting a Play and Charge cable from the 360 controller to the PC won't work.  They make an Xbox 360 controller for windows in a wired and wireless edition.  I got the wireless one that come with a normal 360 controller and a USB Dongle (yes that is a technical name, look it up)  I connected the dongle (sorry i love saying it call me immature) to a USB port in the back and ran the cord through an opening in my case meant for liquid cooling and used two sided tape to hide it inside.  I have cable management OCD and the more things on the outside of my case is more things for my kids to get their mitts on.

The other version is a USB corded 360 controller you can just plug in and use.  I prefer wireless especially when using my wired headset.  I've played all the Batman games through steam and love using the 360 controller.  I guess I could try mouse and keyboard but its just not what I'm used to.  I tried Bioshock Infinite with a mouse and struggled but I only tried to use it for an hour and gave up.

Satiata
Member - 5 Years

mh. not sure but normally there shouldn't be any problems because as far as I know the xbox controllers are already 'optimised' for games for windows, which is also part of the reason why you normally need to do some tweaking if you want to play with a ps3 controller (apparently this is not the case with ps4 controllers but i haven't tested it yet)

if you still have trouble I'd just go check a forum specificially for the game as I'm sure there's others asking the same questions (there normally are)

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

PolishRifle wrote:

Just connecting a Play and Charge cable from the 360 controller to the PC won't work.  They make an Xbox 360 controller for windows in a wired and wireless edition.  I got the wireless one that come with a normal 360 controller and a USB Dongle (yes that is a technical name, look it up)  I connected the dongle (sorry i love saying it call me immature) to a USB port in the back and ran the cord through an opening in my case meant for liquid cooling and used two sided tape to hide it inside.  I have cable management OCD and the more things on the outside of my case is more things for my kids to get their mitts on.

The other version is a USB corded 360 controller you can just plug in and use.  I prefer wireless especially when using my wired headset.  I've played all the Batman games through steam and love using the 360 controller.  I guess I could try mouse and keyboard but its just not what I'm used to.  I tried Bioshock Infinite with a mouse and struggled but I only tried to use it for an hour and gave up.

OOOOOH, thank you so much.  There was a lot of conflicting information on the internet, and the conclusion I've come to is that older controllers like I probably have can't work with PC, but the newer versions of the last few years are Optimized for Windows like Sati says.

For now I'm happy with keyboard and mouse but if I have any issues I'll consider getting a 360 controller for windows :)

Jump to: