View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muldoono

re: XBox One

Hi All...

Does anyone have any experience or insights on the new Xbox?   I've been considering buying one in late March or April and would appreciate some Paxian advice.  I've never owned a console before, but the new Xbox has me intrigued with its TV integration and voice controls.  Plus the games look pretty nice.

All comments welcome.

-  Muldoono

Awarded:

i want one but i can't afford one yet.   so i can't say yet.  

Waars.... I thought you were independently wealthy... Like the Donald Trump of gaming.

:-)

Tech Officer

Awarded:

I thoroughly enjoy mine for what it is - a great living room device. I can come home from work, say 'Xbox On' and have access to what I want. Netflix, an occasional game, ESPN streaming, my cable box, internet explorer, etc...

It's certainly not perfect - I think it'll be something -really- special in another year of software addons.

Satiata
Member - 5 Years

I have a PS4 myself, but yeh, if you want an allrounder the xbox one is a solid console with a nice collection of games out already. if you've never owned a console before and usually play on the computer it may or may not take you some time getting used to the different way of 'handling' a game, but in general that's something you should get a hang of quickly.

I can't say anything about how good exactly the voice controls work on the xbox one but from what I gathered in the gaming communites I'm a member of people have at least not really been complaining about it :P

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Dordrac
Member - 1 Year

Awarded:

I'm still considering which console I want to get (if I even want one, that is). Right now they're just a bit too expensive for me to justify buying them as I play nearly all my games on PC. The only games I'd buy on PS4/Xbox One would be exclusives.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

i'm leaning to PS4 because of the lower price and better specs.  I watched videos of someone going through menus of both systems, PS4 looked WAY faster just going through menus, and the menu system was more lean and easy to use.  Only thing I'd miss would be Halo.

I'm pretty sure PS4 also has voice control feature ("Play station on") and I heard they'll be adding to this in a future patch.

yeh it does, haven't tried it yet though since I'm a fan of controlers. hehe

one random thing about the ps4 that I noticed is that my blurays look better than on the ps3, but I guess that's because it's Full HD and not 'just' HD ready

that's actually one thing that may be speaking for the PS4 instead of the Xbox One, thinking about it, since you said you want it for entertainment. while the Playstation doesn't have that fancy 'out of tv' sparkly thing going on (I forgot what it's called, illuminious or something like that), it has Full HD, while the Xbox one is HD Ready, so if you have a Full HD TV you may want to look into that.

since you said you've never played on a console before, I'd also advertise to see which controller you like better.

I'm not even kidding, my initial decision back on the last console generation was made based on the controller. the xbox controller gives me cramps. -.-

edit:

in the end the thing is still a console, though, so I'd check what kind of games are out, if they interest you enough to validate the cost, and maybe if you're still unsure there's still the option to just wait a few more months for the price to drop (or special edition packs are coming out that already include the game you want. they often include 'gimmicks' like a second controller, too)

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Tastierkakes
Tastierkakes
Officer

I haven't bought a Xbox One or PS4 yet and will probably eventually get both, so I appreciate all the comments about them.  I haven't made the jump into either yet because there are so many Xbox 360 games I still need to get to.  Heck, I'm 200+ hours into skyrim and still no end in sight.

Satiata
Member - 5 Years

I was actually toying with getting a 360 now that the price has dropped so much and there are a few games out there that I want to give a shot. most of the exclusives never interested me enough (the only one I was really pissed off about was Alan Wake really, as that was supposed to come out for the ps3 and then 'last minute' was made exclusive for xbox 360. I got it for PC when it was released later on - and was really disappointed in it )

but yes, very true, there's still plenty of games around for the 360 and the ps3, and they are relatively 'cheap' now, so maybe that is an alternative

both the Xbox One and the PS4 are not able to play the last generation's games.

(Playstation is coming out with Playstation Now where you can stream old games, but there's hardly any information available on that just yet. I'm sure Xbox will come out with a feature like that eventually, too)

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Muldoono

First... Thank you to all the Paxians for the feedback.  And Sati... Only your hands could cramp while your playing because you play until you win or pass out.  The rest of us mortals don't have the stamina for that.

I'm going to look at the controllers more closely though.  As I've said I have never owned a console unless you consider an Atari when I was kid.  It's something I never considered.   I've been so focused on the cool TV integration I haven't thought through the basics.

Shawn makes good points too... That the PS4 hardware seems superior.  Not only on paper, but more and more feedback is coming in that the PS4 is winning the FPS / Smooth / Quality video war. 

So I get that its almost a cult thing of Xbox vs PS4.  I wonder if anyone has made a purchase on the new consoles and then wished they had gone the other way.  Its probably not a fair questions since we are so early in both of their launches.  I would imagine (but have no basis to judge) that both platforms are having launch issues so I'm not sure what is short term and what is a real shortcoming.

Now if I could only get them to put SWTOR on one of em.

- Muldoono

Muldoono wrote:

First... Thank you to all the Paxians for the feedback.  And Sati... Only your hands could cramp while your playing because you play until you win or pass out.  The rest of us mortals don't have the stamina for that.

lol. you might have a point there -.-

I've heard of a few people who were a little disappointed in their purchase, actually, but then again you never know how sincere people are in their claims and if they may just be 'fans' of the other system and trying to talk the 'wrong' one down. internet and all. personally I think the whole 'console wars' thing is just ridiculous, and if you take the 'PC master race' folks in it becomes downright absurd. I'm a gamer. if I had the money I'd have them all :P

yeah SWTOR on console would be pretty cool, but probably not going to happen since it wasn't developed with that in mind. looking at games that were made with console versions to begin with, they just play really differently...

FFXI, FFXIV, DC Universe, the coming TESO... I just don't see it happening with SWTOR (though I remember there being plans for bringing WoW to console a few years back, so I guess it is theoretically possible, I doubt Bioware would take the risk of working years upon years on a console version)

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Gaming and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: