View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satiata
Member - 5 Years

re: Tablet?

so, I realised that I actually am not as opposed to reading books on an e-reader as I thought I was - and my kindle list is growing. reading on a phone is kind of painful, though.

I don't HAVE a kindle right now, and I'm eyeing a Kindle Fire HD, but I'm a little annoyed by it only having a pretty 'meh' version of android (apparently there are ways to get a full android version but this may mess up the kindle support so gah!)

I do not know at this point if I even need anything differently than just a kindle, but since a tablet can do all kinds of fancy things, and even games (cough. cough. like I'd need even MORE ways to destract myself -.-) I'm open for suggestions! bring them on! :P

ps: one thing that I'd really like to look out for would maybe be a tablet that has a sim-card slot, or a usb-stick slot that supports my internet stick, so if you know one that is reasonably priced, shoot(the kindle I want to get is about 140€) this isn't the most important factor, but I know that some tablets only work with wi-fi.

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Soulless
/soul
Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

I don't like tablets for reading, I prefer an e-reader due to e-ink as it makes it feel more like a book.  e-ink e-readers are pretty cheap in comparison to tablets.

If you want a tablet, nothing really beats an iPad at this time.  It's just too strong in quality, and I'm an Android person.  The new iPad Air is really sick, and if that is out of your price range, the previous gen will now be knocked down in price with the Air out.

If you prefer Android, Samsung is your best bet for quality tablet.  The best price point with feature rich for Android would be the Google Nexus tablets.

Yeah, I agree with soul.   I can read my kindle for hours at a time without my eyes getting tired because the e-ink is really just like reading paper.  In contrast, I can't look at a backlight screen (ipad, iphone, android) for nearly as long.   

So if reading is your primary purpose, go with a e-ink kindle.  If your primary goal is mobile games and all that stuff, the i-pad is the best tablet out there. 

Wylan
jpotter56
Veteran

Awarded:

I have a Kindle Paperwhite (The touchscreen e-ink backlit reader) and a tablet  (10.1 inch screen.)  I prefer the kindle for reading, but I have no qualms about using my phone. If you want an SD slot, you gotta go android.

Anything above 7 inch on a tablet makes it rather cumbersome, while the 7 ibcs tablets and most kindles are plenty portable (i.e. fit in a purse, or pocket if you have a large enough one. My kindle was perfect when I was on the sub since it could fit without a problem into my uniform pockets.

Personally, I am an android fan, and I like the Samsung tablets, they are quality, but you pay more for them. My tablet is an Acer Iconia, with an SD slot AND a full size USB port. That last item was a necessary item for being on the sub since everyone had portable HDDs. Nowadays, if a tablet doesn't have a full size USB, it will generally have USB to Go, which allows you to get an adapter and connect full size usb plugs to it. I also prefer to keep all of my devices the same flavor to take advantage of all the Apps that I have purchased. I have an Android Phone, MP3 Player and Tablet.

One thing to bear in mind, the Kindle tablets, while inexpensive and quite nice, pigeonhole you into using the Kindle App Store ONLY (Unless you root it.) It does have a good number of apps on it, but no where near the amount as on Google Play. I also am not a huge fan of its UI.

In regards to reading stuff on a tablet/MP3 Player/ Phone, If you set the background to black with white text, it is a lot less hard on the eyes... and uses less battery power.

Well, that was a lot more than I expected to say regarding this. Even though I am an android fan, I have no hesitation in providing an impartial critique of any electronic device.

One more thing in passing: If you want a tablet, I suggest looking on places like Newegg for Refurbished models, as they can be MUCH less expensive.

Awarded:

I was going to say, but other said it already:  as great as the iPad is, it doesn't have the USB slot that Sati is hoping to have.  I'd have to suggest kindle fire if you plan to read a lot, or the Nexus tablet/I think there's a Galaxy Tablet?

Awarded:

jpotter56 wrote:

One more thing in passing: If you want a tablet, I suggest looking on places like Newegg for Refurbished models, as they can be MUCH less expensive.

^^^^^^^^

A suggestion for a good tablet for the money: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29G0RA4408

I plan on getting one when I can afford it.

Since Raptr was installed.
Satiata
Member - 5 Years

well. I guess I should have mentioned this:
ABSOLUTELY NOT AN IPAD. lol :P

anyway. thanks guys. and yeh Wylan, that's my main 'irk' with the Kindle, that it has a quite limited android version and knowing my luck all the things I'd be tempted to get would not be available. lol

(ordering from newegg is also not really an option because of shipping cost, tax + customs dues)

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Blasthardcheese
Blast Hardcheese
Member - 4 Years

Eeew. iPads are for stupid people.

Er... I mean people who are not technically inclined. In any way. At all.

I wish I knew what kind of places that you could get something like that from so you don't have to deal with that kind of thing. Although, that PIPO M9 comes from China. So... I doubt that helps, but I'd recommend grabbing that one if you could. Dunno what is close enough to you that would sell it.

Since Raptr was installed.
Satiata
Member - 5 Years

if all else I'll just order from amazon. lol

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Gaming and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: