View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badgomatic

re: New system.. working out the bugs

Well, deciided on a whim today to upgrade my rig. I picked up a new motherboard, cpu, ram, power supply, case, & case fan. I tore out my old HD, DVD-Rom, video card & wireless router card and stuck all the components together.

So basically went from a topped out 2.4 dual used workstation that I threw some ram (4 gigs maxed out) and components into to a 3.6 quad with 8 gigs..

I booted up, and unfortunately the new rig hates my old windows setup.. (which is fine since I was running 32 bit anyways)

I'm just reinstalling 32 bit now while I wait to get my hands on 64 bit to see if it will run, and then have some work to do setting it up.

Hopefully I can get this sucker running good and come out to play this weekend.. I guess I'll just cross my fingers that things will go right, and I won't be stuck using this old Acer netbook for the rest of the weekend.. Happy (The buttons kind of stick on this thing, so even typing up this blurb was a load of fun!)

It will run only on 64 bit if your running with 8 gigs 32 bit you can only use 2 gigs of ram
Badgomatic

Exactly why I'm getting my hands on 64 Happy

I have the system up and running now, but still stuck with 32 bit for the moment. The system won't initialize my PCI slot so my graphics card won't power up... Going to work out that kink once I upgrade to 64 bit (hopefully this evening).

Until then SWToR won't boot up (likely have to reinstall and download the patches again) and I can't run any other games I have on here..

Thankfully it appears the rest of the system works fine, but what good's a gaming rig without its graphical capabilities? Happy

(Win 32 bit will register 2.97 gigs of ram apparently.. it's all I can use for now lol)

Well I feel silly. I had checked out every avenue to determine the problem with my new setup. I tried both slots for the monitor, researched forums, tweaked with my bios settings, and even tried to find updated bios files/drivers.

In the end it was a power cable that wasn't connected to the video card. All that hard work trying not to look like an idiot when I walked into the computer shop,and it happened anyways lol!

Well, back online today then, see you guys in game! :D

Jump to: