View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joal_selrid

re: need help making a new computer !

hey folks, well currently i play on a macbook pro with a windows partition. I do lag sometimes while playing on the lowest settings. In a nutshell lets just say the gaming experience isnt as fun as it should be. SO, i've been getting interested in making a gaming computer, however one problem, im no computer wiz. I need help =( so anyone willing to gimme advice please do ! i have found a build that looks good to me, but anything may look good to the untrained eye

FINAL SPECS
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K - $209.99
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 - $144.99
Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC 900MHz 1GB - $214.99
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance CL9 DDR3-1600 RAM - $44.99
Boot drive: Samsung 64GB SSD 830 - $94.99
Storage drive: WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM HDD - $99.99
Power supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX - $59.99
Case: Fractal Design Core 3000 - $64.99
Optical drive: Samsung SH-B123 12x BD-ROM - $59.99

TOTAL COST BEFORE TAXES AND SHIPPING: $994.91

Thoughts? if you have any better builds lemme know, my budget goes to like 1000 max

Looks like a solid build!

A few thoughts, since I've been pricing out upgrade components myself:

-Check out the benchmarks on the GTX 560 Ti cards from Tom's. That's exactly the GPU I'm looking to pick up, too. The Zotac card comes out consistently on top in their benchmarking. I'm not familiar with the company, so I'm looking into them. I've also heard good things (anecdotally) about the MSI Twin Frozr II. They're a little more expensive (~$30) than the Gigabyte card you're looking at, but not much. I'm also a big Gigabyte fan!

-My system admin friend refuses to use Asus components in anything he cares about. He says he's had an unparalleled failure rate with them over the years. Of course, this is all anecdotal and he could have just gotten unlucky, but I usually value his advice because of the sheer amount of builds he does at home and at work. He and I have both had great experiences with Gigabyte and MSI boards.

-The case you're looking at is a tiny bit smaller than my current case, and I can barely fit and run cabling for my components. I've only got a GTX 260 so if your card is physically larger it might be rough. Here's another case that I'm planning on using for my next upgrade cycle. It's a pretty solid (and roomy) case from what I've heard and it appears to be one of the standards for gaming rigs (along with the crazy Cooler Master one that's like $100 more). This one's the same price as the one you're looking at!
Joal_selrid

haha thanks for the adivce man, ill reconsider the asus and the case

Check this one out. Still a mid case, but it's wider. I have the next version up of this one, but this is more in your price range. Plus thermaltake cases are some of the best cooling ones out there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133074

Also Known as: Zelinc | Tehron | Dan | Tanksalot | Carl-Weathers
Joal_selrid

that one's nice :x i can't decide

Awesome setup there!

Processor - Best for performance vs. price there is.
Mobo - will suffice.
GPU - I suggest spending a few more bucks to get the MSI Twin Frozr II version of the 560 ti. It's the version I use, and the cooling is incredible. Definitely worth the extra money.
Memory - No games really utilize more than 8 gigs. You should be fine there.
SSD - SSD's are awesome, I wish I had one.
HDD - I would prefer 1TB, but if you think 500gbs is fine, then that's up to you.
PSU - Good choice Happy Corsair all the way.
Case - Haven't really looked into it but it seems nice.
Disc Drive - Do you really need a blu-ray drive? You could save $40 with a DVD burner and put that saved money towards the MSI 560 ti.

This PC will own. Nearly identical to my setup, except I have 16gbs of RAM, no SSD, an Antec 900 2 v3 case, and an 850W PSU (for future SLI).

EDIT: Maybe you should think over the case one more time. The GTX 560 ti is a REALLY big card and you might experience some trouble with space. I suggest getting this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

Or, even this case if you want to save money: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

Antec cases own Happy

Joal_selrid

thanks matt ! that helps alot =0 see without input id be lost --.--

I'd nix the blueray too...the extra cost could go into a better place, like case options or a high wattage powersupply. 650 is good, but if you can go higher it'll make upgrading your graphics card less painful later on.

I'm on my second computer with an Asus motherboard and I *think* Adams is an Asus too, and neither of us have had any issues. My first comp went 4 years without a hitch before my ps failed, and Adams is just over 2 years old now.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Gaming and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: