View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATownArmy
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

re: I may not make it back alive

I'm about to start swapping out my HDD for an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD hard drive and doing a clean install of Windows 7. Dell does not have Windows 7 drivers for my computer (XPS m1730). As I said, I may not make it back alive...

Good luck!

Windows 7 is excellent at detecting and installing necessary drivers on its own, so hopefully it'll be a smooth ride. For anything that's missing, you can try the Vista drivers – they're surprisingly compatible, as it turns out!
Crox Rava

Fingers crossed, A-Town!

Photobucket
ATownArmy
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

re: UPDATE:

I survived! The physical swap was easy, new OS was easy, finding drivers wasn't too tough. I did have a general plan for which drivers to use going into it, and ended up only changing a few. I still can;t get Vent to work right because of an issue with my audio driver that hopefully I'll get fixed in the morning when I'm awake enough to see clearly. Now for the good stuff, SPEED! I took the times of certain tasks with my old HDD, and now with my SSD, let's compare (all time is in seconds):
Task

Shut Down
Turn On (to Password Screen)
From Password Input to Welcome Center
SWTOR Log-in Load Time
To Character Selection Screen
To Load Voss
To Load Ship
Time with HDD

21.55s
41.88s
12.26s
14.79s
43.98s
126.75s
37.96s
Time with SSD

12.89s
22.05s
8.35s
7.61s
27.49s
58.98s
22.77s

So as you can see, it cuts just about every task in half, which really helps on the larger taks, such as loading the planet Voss. For the record, I've had problems with it stuttering and freezing up while doing simple tasks (closing and opening windows, scrolling, searching) but that seems to have corrected itself over time, we'll see.

Anyway point is: I made it, I'm alive, lets go kill stuff!

Sweet! I'm glad it worked out, and it's awesome that you logged those times. I've got an SSD sitting around and I've been putting off the upgrade until I can make a few other upgrades along with it...but the load times in SW:TOR have been horrible so it's nice to see that you're getting around them so nicely!
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Gaming and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: