View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart of Hircine

re: windows programs on mac?

I heard of a type of program that you could run windows made games for mac but I don't know of any and I kinda need help with finding one.
Areku99

I wouldn't doubt there is one, but I doubt that it would operate smoothly. :P

Parallels will allow you to run Windows natively inside of a Mac instance. You need to buy the software and also have the windows to install. I haven't actually tried it myself but I was to buy any software for this it would be Parallels. Something for you to take a look at.

It's called Boot Camp and comes with the Mac OS. You still need a copy of Windows to install, and not an upgrade copy. I am actually upgrading from XP to Windows 7 as I type this since Boot Camp is no longer supporting XP updates. My SWTOR experience has been exclusively on a Mac, and it has been great other than a few issues related to running XP rather than 7.

Yup, Parallels or VMWare Fusion (that's my personal preference these days) will allow you to run a virtual copy of Windows from within Mac OS. Unfortunately, as the other posters pointed out, performance will probably be pretty crummy, since your computer will be running an operating system within another operating system.

Boot Camp, which Arkos recommended, is the best solution for games, which involves installing Windows to a separate partition on your Mac (so you'll need a good chunk of free space to do that). You need the Windows installation disc, and depending on your version of Mac OS, you might need the installation discs that came with your Mac - you'll use those to install hardware drivers once Windows is installed. If you have Lion, it prompts you to download the drivers you'll need as a first step, so you don't need the discs handy if you can do that.

Inside Applications/Utilities, you'll find the Boot Camp Assistant – that's what you do to get started. It'll 1.) Download drivers, 2.) Partition your hard drive, 3.) Install Windows. If you decide to move forward with that, good luck!
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Gaming and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: