Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Applications and Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebmac!

re: My experences beta tanking.

Tanking as a knight.

(my experiences as a sith jugg, immortal (defense) tree.)

I've ran a few flashpoints, I've been in a few instances, and open world area's. Tanking is tanking... but tanking as a knight is a new challenge... Since half the things you fight in TOR use a blaster, you are constantly, doing your best running around and grabbing agro. It does help when you have your area shout, but that comes post 20, so the first few levels, I would honestly suggest leveling in the DPS spec (I forget the name), You still get your taunt abilities (post lvl/16) but you will be in a different form, so there for not "building" agro as quickly, but the other side is you'll be doing more damage, there for building agro. once you're able to do the area shout, it's much better.

Communication will always be key, some tanks suffer from tunnel vision, so when they are focusing on one mob, and something walks by you might need to shout, hey tankietank, need help.

Just because the dps "should" pick up the normal mobs, it's the tank's job... so give a brother some help and notify everybody.

Awarded:

Thanks for the update! This definitely sounds like an interesting challenge with all the ranged, but it's like real Star Wars so let's do it!!!!

Jedi Knight is actually a lot of fun. Most of the Jedi that I see running around are Consulars, the Knights - especially Sentinels - don't seem as common, but that's just my own anecdotal observation. The Jedi dialogue responses do seem a bit ... 'stuffy' even the Dark Side ones (Smuggler is still my favorite dialogue). The combat for the Sentinel is similar to the WoW Rogue, which I played for almost a freaking decade so that's right up my alley. You build Focus instead of Combo Points using saber moves, and after a while you get a feel for which attack orders are best. Personally, running around with two light sabers is just fun as hell ... the only bad part about the Jedi Knight is that the class questline is currently bugged, and you can't get off Coruscant. BAH

Awarded:

I noticed at low lvls Knights had a big advantage in PvP being able to do high dps while cloaked. Until other classes get detecting abilities, it seemed almost OP that the Knight could sneak up and jack someone up to less than half their life before they can really react. I'm sure that will balance out, but it seemed like a hell of an early advantage to me.

Though the best PvE that I saw at low lvls were definitely Consular Healers. They get their tank companion to get agro on everything in sight, and just slowly heal him. It seemed to take forever to kill anything, but they couldn't be killed, either.

Again, I'm sure it'll all balance out, especially at higher levels, but I never got a char above lvl 15 because I was trying out so many builds.

Currently playing the sith jugger.

Tanked the first instance so far, was pretty easy (had a companion as healer) - agro was a problem at low levels - but easier now im L17.

For solo PVE, a bit hard currently as a tank as I don't have a healing companion - mobs take a long time to do & my health just slowly saps (with myself & companion does moderate damage).

As soon as I get a healing companion I bet I'll be able to solo most 4man quests I bet Happy.

Stornskar wrote:
Jedi Knight is actually a lot of fun. Most of the Jedi that I see running around are Consulars, the Knights - especially Sentinels - don't seem as common, but that's just my own anecdotal observation. The Jedi dialogue responses do seem a bit ... 'stuffy' even the Dark Side ones (Smuggler is still my favorite dialogue). The combat for the Sentinel is similar to the WoW Rogue, which I played for almost a freaking decade so that's right up my alley. You build Focus instead of Combo Points using saber moves, and after a while you get a feel for which attack orders are best. Personally, running around with two light sabers is just fun as hell ... the only bad part about the Jedi Knight is that the class questline is currently bugged, and you can't get off Coruscant. BAH

Yeah, boo for the bugged JK Storyline...I agree that Sentinel feels very rogue-ish. Having tried all the classes now I'm glad I chose it, whenever I play the other ones I find myself wishing I was playing a Sentinel...it just feels "right" for me.

I have been poking around as a SW since the JK story is stuck for me, and noticed two interesting things - first off, even their responses felt kind of "stuffy" to me to use your terminology...for being a Sith Warrior, and picking the evil options, my character was incredibly well spoken and mannered. Not that I mind that for the type of nerdy, intellectual characters I like to play, but if you were going for some kind of basic "Die, scum!" type response for your Sith, you're probably not going to get it very often, despite thinking that what you chose will yield such a result.

Also was surprised that it takes me half the time to get a Sith Warrior through the 1-10 levels that it takes me for a JK...I think it's mostly due to the size of Tython areas, or how they're arranged, but it was so much easier it surprised me.

Trooper and Smuggler went by quicker for me, but not that quickly.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum