View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boat Van

re: Attention Steam Users (so like everybody)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1191

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don’t have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

Yikes, better change some passwords guys.
Arkathos

Warning: Language.

Fuck hackers, nothing but a bunch of shit-faced scum bags. Deserve life in prison or worse imo. Thanks for the headsup bud.

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
Cmelt

I saw that too. Like they said they merely had access to this info and Valve seems to think they never touched any of it. So no need to panic. But thanks for posting this.

"The high destiny of the individual is to serve rather than to rule" -Albert Einstein
Boat Van

It's all good, I could not have said it better.
Sticx45

Should we go back to corporeal punishment for hacking abuses? 1st offense is 2 fingers, 2nd offence your left hand, 3rd offence death?
Arkathos

Should we go back to corporeal punishment for hacking abuses? 1st offense is 2 fingers, 2nd offence your left hand, 3rd offence death?

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
FullMetalSeraph
Member - 1 Year

Gaiutus Baltar wrote:
Fuck hackers, nothing but a bunch of shit-faced scum bags. Deserve life in prison or worse imo.

Amen to the amen...

Awarded:

Good idea to use a credit card ONLY for online purchases if it's viable for you Happy. Preferably a card with a good history of fraud protection and non-liability for the cardholder (Visa is my choice)

UnbarringTomb

Hopefully my account dident get hit,lol i love steam way too much for this to happen

Something tells me that Episode 3 is going to take even longer now.....
AstralProjection

Travis, you're so wise.

I don't know about the other companies, but my experiences with Visa fraud protection have been nothing but positive.

I've had more money stolen from me by US Postal Service Employees than I've ever had taken by hackers, but in all the cases Visa Fraud Protection (and the Hollywood PD) took care of everything and I never lost a penny.

Provided you're paying with a credit card, you're probably fine - like they said just pay attention to your statements and make sure there are no weird transactions on there, and if there are, report them asap and you'll get your money back.

Funny thing is, I deleted my steam account and everything attached to it two weeks ago in preparation for TOR. Deo Gratias!

As a side note, an appropriate punishment for hacking and spamming should be castration. They probably weren't using them anyway.

I'm probably going to walk around wearing a tin foil hat for the remainder of this month. You can never be too safe.
Adroc

Holy crud!!!! I'm just learning about this....those so called hackers are nothing but criminals. i hope they get found and put in jail if at all possible.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Gaming and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: