Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> RP and Character Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2
AstralProjection

re: What Type of Facility? [WeatherNet]

Clusterfact wrote:
My only concern with a refugee camp is that it would take weeks to set one up and have people transported there. How quickly are we reacting to the sacking? My impression was that it was an almost instantaneous reaction.

I was thinking kind of the same thing...that this would probably take place in the midst of the sacking. I'm sure they'd have taken prisoners and put them somewhere, which is why I was hoping we could make this a quick makeshift prison, more than a refugee camp. Problem citizens, captured troops, and whatever officials were inside the building when they took it would be there, not necessarily a full blown refugee camp.

If it's taking place after the initial sacking, but before the treaty, that's a little different. I think if the Council were ordering a few Jedi to this particular facility they would be doing it in the very beginning of the Sith Invasion, I doubt they'd care while the temple was under attack.

Flipping through the Coruscant D20 Sourcebook, there wasn't much in terms of a location that jumped out at me that fit what we've been describing.

We can always invent a complex, such as the Republic Ministry of Intelligence, etc. I think such a place was even mentioned in the Fatal Alliance novel...when I get home I can check and see if I can find the exact name.

However - an interesting target jumped out at me, something that most of us probably don't think of when we think of Coruscant:

WeatherNet.

WeatherNet is a complex intra-planetary network that chemically and physically controls the atmosphere and environment of Coruscant, trying to enforce such ambitious guidelines that they've set for themselves as ensuring that it never rains before sundown, and that the fog must clear before sunrise. They control planetary wind-currents, everything about the planet's atmosphere and weather, essentially.

Maybe the Sith had figured out a way to turn WeatherNet into a weapon against Coruscant?

Maybe the Republic was developing some sort of weapon based on WeatherNet's technology?

It's just a thought, but it's a pretty cool complex and I'm sure we could create some interesting scenarios around it. It would make sense there would be many scientific, and non-military personnel, but at least a small trooper presence, and the potential for some interesting plots is there. That particular WeatherNet complex was maybe being toured by the Republic Bureaucrat, when the Sith attacked. Maybe its proximity to a Republic Garrison had the Sith bring prisoners there after they destroyed the garrison.

Thoughts?

I have thought against cosmoport, I mean, why would you spend soldiers for guarding something, that your armada could make their target, if they would just like to stop people from starting off, they target cosmoport, and when someone tries to launch, they blast him into oblivion with canons of capital ships.
If anything they would destroy cosmoport instead of wasting soldiers for guarding it.

Kbrury

Yeah I kinda dislike the Refugee Camp for the reasons Clusterfact pointed out I'm pretty sure the sacking of Courscant maybe lasted a few days. The Sith had no intention of keeping people alive in prisons as they killed everyone who had a high rank and anyone in their way.

I like the idea of the Weathernet being used by the Sith, if used incorrectly it could kill many people. But back to the dilemma I think there needs to be a consequnce of choosing to save people. It's not really a dilemma if everything goes our way at the end.

The way I saw it before is we went against our original missions, many of our superiors were angry for going against orders. But the people and a few select officials including our narrator respected us for our decision which would eventually lead to the formation of Pax Republica. Just how I saw it. :P

AstralProjection

Well perhaps they aren't so much "taking prisoners", as they seize WeatherNet and round up all the troops and employees within. There happens to be an official or team of them (maybe one or two gets killed off to make this guy or girl value their life more) present during this capture of the compound that get rounded up with the others.

Maybe the Sith start executing prisoners, while the smugglers are sneaking around, prompting the humane side of them to intervene.

Maybe the troopers had orders to destroy the sensitive data/project here if anything was captured, and disobeyed a direct order to spare the other captives and fight to save them first?

Maybe the Jedi were ordered to stop a Sith Lord leading this particular part of the assault, and they let him escape instead of capturing him as planned in order to rescue the civilians?

That could accomplish what you're looking for, I think.

That sounds better, your a little too quick Astral.

AstralProjection

Lol sorry. I love to write. I've already written and rewritten whole scenes in my head as we've debated and changed our thoughts and come up with new ones.

Ah np its a good thing.

Clusterfact

Hostage situation at WeatherNet sounds good. big grin

1. Notable locale
2. Innocent people within
3. Motive for VIPs to be there
4. Important enough to realistically spur a seige against the facility

I'd like to make a motion that we explore this idea a bit.
Arkathos

And I second that notion fully! Astral, damn you're quick.

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
Kbrury

Gaiutus wrote:
And I second that notion fully! Astral, damn you're quick.

*Looks at thread title and plot thread* :P

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> RP and Character Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: