Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> RP and Character Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Kbrury

re: Getting Started

Well in the past backstories we tried to make, the core group of people who would later form Pax Republica were involved in the sacking but the group wasn't actually formed. Someone high up who sees/hears of our efforts requests for the group to be made after the Sacking.

CMDR Blue R

All right. But still our leader is Jedi Knight. So he can't be "long term assignment".

If we take REAL fact of Pax Republica and turn them into SW universe, we can form good start point.

What classes have our leadership? Why they are leaders? And then turn it into SW things and we can have good start and also virtual Pax history can be similar to real Pax history.

Quick example.

I was lately offline, because of broken internet connection.

And how can it be turned into SW thing?

Renek has crashed on uninhabited planet.

Returning to topic... Our leaders. Who are they? Maybe that they should be that group which was in Sacking? Legionnaire can also be in that group... Or they will be 1st members of Pax (with leaderships ofc)

And if so, we can have 1st point... Formed group. Not Pax Republica yet, but we can have 1st step. Later we can add another and go to creating of Pax...

Let me see.....

Gaiutus - JK
Consul

travisccook - JK
Arbiter

Kbrury - Smuggler
Arbiter

---Aux--- - JK
Arbiter

HybridLee - Trooper
Trial Director

Nwahs Nirom - JC
Trial Director

Cloud Kanno - JC
Trial Director

Lord Marvel - Trooper
Trooper Captain

Friscoo - JC
Consular Captain

Stealth B-2 - Smuggler
Smuggler Captain

Omega Reaven - JK
Knight Captain

=====================================
4 Jedi Knight, 3 Jedi Consular = 7 Jedi
2 Smuggler
2 Trooper
-----------------------------------------------------

64% are Jedi.
71% if we skip class captains.

In my opinion we should focus on that. Our leadership is mostly filled by Jedi...

Of course. We can just imagine PAX Republica... But if our virtual story will be fit to our real story this will be better, right?

Well, welll... 2 JC and 1 Trooper in trial directors.... It's getting to make a sense!
Two Jedi Knight and 1 Smuggler as arbiters.... And 1 Jedi Knight as Leader...
Jedi Knight fit to arbiter role...
Smuggler? Why not... Especialy, that before that Smuggler, there was Jedi... If we get Kevin class change as change of person... Or maybe this person WAS Jedi? Something like in KoTOR? There is thousands possibilities.

Last edited by CMDR Blue R on January 11, 2011 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

=============
Beware! Crazy user inside!
Other nickname: Finek
AstralProjection

Hey guys!

I'm definitely interested in writing if there's room for another. We already have a lot of great ideas, it sounds like. I think we're on the right track, first we should agree on a perspective. That will really guide the feelings and details that are displayed in the story. I see a couple of options here, as laid out by you guys or from my own ideas.

- First Person - Outsider

I know you guys said first person probably wouldn't work, but I think it can, given the right choice of characters. My initial thought to make this work would be to have it narrated by an "outsider" character. Maybe a refugee, survivor of the attack, or some sort of person who would "associate" with Pax in the present, and this association was born of the heroics that they watched forge the organization itself. Smugglers tend to be ideal narrators for this case, because they are largely neutral and may associate with guild smugglers. Possibly written from the point of view of a bureaucrat inside the Republic as well. Maybe an Assistant to General Garza or the Supreme Chancellor is recalling our case file. Having it written a la the Gnost Dural timeline entries as you guys mentioned would also fit into this category.

- First Person - Insider -

Another way to make this work would be to narrate from the point of view of one or more members. It would have to be agreed upon whose characters we'd include (I'm assuming the Guild leadership, at the very least). You could do something as simple as having the whole thing narrated by one character, like Kurik Gene or Gaiutus, though that bestows upon us the daunting task of doing justice to your personal character visions throughout an entire narrative, which we may not always succeed at. I know Kbrury based his character on Spike, and I've seen plenty of Bebop and could probably pull off writing for him, but depending on who we choose we're probably going to need extensive character details after we make this decision.

- First person - Insider - Multiple Stories -

I really liked this idea the most so far, and will admit I've been hoping we'd do something like this from the minute I heard about the project. The creative writer in me loves the opportunity to express the world from divergent viewpoints. The different perspectives of each character would add color, emotion, and opinion to what would otherwise be a historical account, and having multiple accounts that converge would allow us to express the gamut of feelings and choices that helped to forge our association. I feel this method of storytelling is most representative of what Pax Republica is - A place where many different viewpoints and backgrounds can unite under the same banner and kick ass while pledging a basic code of decency. This type of story would highlight how different we all truly are, and how working together to complement each other is what makes us truly great.

- Third Person - Omniscient

This is probably the easiest POV for us to tell the story from- nevertheless, I'm not necessarily going for easy. I'd like dramatic, engrossing, and just all around awesome much more than I'd like easy : ) The advantage of this is you don't have to express thoughts, and can tell the story in a matter-of-fact way, as only the great eyeball in the sky can truly see it, knowing ALL the details without having to see them.

Other things we'll need to get together/agree upon before we start:

- Dramatis Personae - We'll need to list the main characters for our own benefit during the creative process, and agree upon adding or subtracting from that list if something isn't working.

- Outliers and Cameo appearances - Are we going to give brief mention to any guildmembers that aren't main characters? Any ally guilds? Groups of them as a whole? We'll need to decide if this is okay or off-limits. Personally, I'd like to do it, but we run the risk of offending those we don't mention, etc., so we'll have to decide carefully where it will fit.

- Biographies - We'll need to collect the Biographies of these main characters, as well as any outlying characters if we decide to mention them.

- Timeline of Important Events - The leadership can help with this a lot. If there's something you REALLY want included as an important event in this story, speak up. I'm sure we can write around it and make it happen. We can flesh this out together in this forum before we start writing so we know clearly where we're starting, where we end up, and how we got there.

- Important Quotes - Give this some thought, folks in charge. I'm happy to come up with some pretty "catch phrases", if you will, that exemplify what Pax Republica's ideals are. If they come from you, all the better, since this is your baby, and we're just joining in the fun : ) Things like a guild motto can be born from this sort of writing. If you have trouble of thinking of them, read quotes from old generals, they sure knew how to wax eloquent in the midst of bloody murder.

As far as the previous discussion here goes:

-It's not *too* much of a stretch for Jedi to be a member of this organization. Especially if it's sanctioned by the Republic with a noble ideal. Some Jedi may be ordered to take part to ensure it's steered in the right direction.

- While we don't necessarily want to use someone directly in canon, I think that whoever we use for a "liason", or contact should be someone who works directly for one of those important characters that are part of the canon, specifically in the Republic government.

- I liked Kbrury's cold war description in line with Pax's existence. I think CMDR is right, though, we should make a concrete decision on what, exactly, Pax Republica is designated, e.g. political outreach group, paramilitary group, public service group, militia, etc.

Sorry I typed so much. I feel like I barely scratched the surface. Sorry I'm jumping in late, too. I was thinking we were having forum troubles when I saw those PM's, that's what I get for not opening them up on my phone : P

Yes it could be better though I'm not sure if everyone in leadership has a character we can use. I also think a true representation of the guild could be one that mixes all the rankes together, a few in leadership, and the regular members.

Anyways I posted a couple threads so that we don't keep talking about multiple things in this thread. Feel free to create threads about other things.

CMDR Blue R

So... Voting on perspective?

=============
Beware! Crazy user inside!
Other nickname: Finek
AstralProjection

Lol, as I'm typing that Kbrury's making separate threads for all that stuff like a smart guy.

Do you want me to cut and paste some of that stuff into the right threads?

Yes please I already quoted your post for the perspectives thread but not the other one. And CMDR the poll is up here. http://www.pax-republica.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6180462&gid=118791

AstralProjection

To amend what I said, too, First Person - Outsider, really included some Third person options too. I usually stop to proofread before I post, because I write off the outline inside my head, which sometimes shuffles around : P

The way I see it the outsider account could either be some sort of bare-bones, historical recount of the situation, or it could be an outsider that was actually there, and thus can give us the first person account.

My favorite choice would be:

Multiple first person narratives, kicked off by, and then re-united by the account of some Republic liason or contact. We can decide who this guy is and what his relationship is to us, or why he is looking up this story or recounting it to someone.

The way I see it is:

- Stressed out, overworked Republic assistant to somebody important, drinking away his woes in a cantina on the streets of Coruscant or Corellia.

- Through the distant chatter in the cantina, he overhears snippets of a conversation where the world "Hope" is used, probably in a negative fashion, e.g. talking about how there's no hope left for the Republic or something.

T- hen we digress into his thoughts, thinking about how he thought hope for the Republic was gone too, but how he witnessed events that changed his mind, and new groups were being forged to protect the ideals that the Republic stands for every day. Close the intro with something like "I was there...I saw it with my own eyes, there is ALWAYS hope..." end prologue

- Launch into an account of the formation of Pax Republica from the members' first person views.

- Sum it up by returning to the cantina, where the Republic employee walks off, his faith in the galaxy renewed after recalling such noble events.

I think we are getting a little hung up on singular first person perspectives. Most stories that get told through first person perspectives are multiple people talking from their perspectives. All first person and all different, even if they are talking about the same event. Think police reports using eye witnesses. Multiple first person perspectives, at possible differing times and locales, tied together to tell the story of an event or a series of events. First person is a very flexible and emotional narrative. The real trick is identifying which character in a given scene is going to deliver the necessary information, while meeting the most interesting viewpoint of it.
AstralProjection

Amorl wrote:
I think we are getting a little hung up on singular first person perspectives. Most stories that get told through first person perspectives are multiple people talking from their perspectives. All first person and all different, even if they are talking about the same event. Think police reports using eye witnesses. Multiple first person perspectives, at possible differing times and locales, tied together to tell the story of an event or a series of events. First person is a very flexible and emotional narrative. The real trick is identifying which character in a given scene is going to deliver the necessary information, while meeting the most interesting viewpoint of it.

I agree completely...that's why I'm hoping (?) We are all kind of okay with this type of account?

We have a "storyteller" encapsulating the individual first person accounts of those present. It would be almost like reading police statements, in the sense that they're getting each person's individual account, but the person relaying it all for the sake of the prose is our Republic Liason popping into a busy Coruscant bar for a nightcap.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: