View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Desist Jungian

re: 1.2 reactions?

I haven't soloqueued a whole lot since it dropped. I think I've soloed like 4 matches. The rest of the matches I played with my decently geared guildmates. I think I've lost like 4 matches total with only a handful of close games. 2 of those losses were to the Republic. Now I normally run with 3-4 dps and in 1.1 that sortof gimped us. In 1.2 it's not nearly so bad. Everything dies fast. Being against multiple healers doesn't mean the game is most likely lost anymore. I still think the guard healer combo is pretty strong though, but I'm fine with that.

I think it's still a little too early to judge how PvP has changed though. People have to get used to the way it is now, relearn how their class works and see what their limits are. This is something that's really going to take months to happen.

The warhero gear stats are interesting, I think overall it's a boost in stats but it juggles around stuff. The grind to get the stuff is rough though. The warhero chest piece is gonna take a week of grinding to get. I think the difference between warhero and battlemaster will be small, but the difference between battlemaster and critcrafted/optimized modded warhero will be larger. No duh. Fortunately at the moment nobody is going to be at that max level anytime soon. At the moment I don't think the imps have much of an advantage as far as aquiring gear. I think when rated warzones are introduced the gear will be easier to get.

The endgame PvE FP and operation were needed for the hardcore PvEers. I'm afraid that too few of us are geared and organized enough to actually do them. I think that's on us really though. I guess if we had a larger pool of people on our server it'd be better but I don't know. It's kind of a shame because I know quite a few people that that's all they want to do and can't and probably won't get to.

I kind of like how crafting stuff works, but I hate how the non critcrafted stuff is useless. I can't RE them. I can't sell them. I'm going through mats like crazy and I can't do anything with most of the stuff I'm making. It's very sad.

I really wanted to make some alts too. All this legacy stuff I can't afford. And stuff that benefits alt making, but wait.... I'm nearly broke and I don't want to PvE much. PvP doesn't give much money now. I had a hard enough time getting by in 1.1 lvling an alt through pure PvP. I'm pretty convinced that you had to be a slicer to get any kind of money. Now. I think it's impossible. They've killed my desire to make alts. Not because I don't want to experience the class story or a lack of interest in other classes, but because I'm forced to grind through the same planet PvE quests I've already done on another character. Those quests were fine the first go around sortof. I don't want to do them again.

Anyways. I'm pretty good at qqing. I haven't even mentioned marauders/sentinels and tankassins, but I'm gonna stop.

Bioware definitely needs to fix a lot of things and add more things. The game still has some rage inducing bugs and problems. World PvP is still pretty non-existent.

Overall, I like 1.2 at the moment. New shinies. Things to see, people to kill. QQing all around. Life is good.
Viperblades

I don't think anyone is trying to use PVP to get rich, they just want it to pay for itself.

Right now in a bad match your paying credits / comms for other people to farm you.
Quirquie

ATownArmy wrote:
PvP AND PvE are not how you make credits. You need to be crafting and dgathering. They've said since day 1 that crafting will be an integral part to gameplay, but people ignored it and the GTN because they made all of their credits lvling and doing PvP/PvE. now theyre saying: "There is a whole aspect of this game that you are not experiencing. Experience it or starve!" A little extreme, yes, but once you get into making credits on the GTN, its a lot of fun, and takes very little time.

If I ever make any thing that would be worth selling, I always give it to someone in the guild and I always will, so I guess I will just be broke forever.
Nordak Stiller

1.2 hmmm well I'll say it's good, to me it's just a bunch of stuff that should have been in game at release. So for me it's just meh, don't get me wrong I do like it and the legacy deal is cool but one mess up I think they made was you can't branch all over your tree. I have my toon married and he has an allie and b/c of that I can't branch out to let him have a rival or siblings.....whats that about?? But I feel if the legacy system is there it's there if not oh well I can do without and still injoy the game. I would have liked to see more attention paid to fixs and some other additions like others have mentioned above me. I think 1.2 was more of a fix/lets add some eye candy to get people back that have left sorta patch. For me it was nothing to get excited over, I do that when theres a HUGE change or addition like almost an exspansion type change/addition. 8) But all and all I like 1.2 they did a good job.

getting everyone rich by the trade network is never going to work. I know a lot of people don't want to hear this, but by and large, MMO markets are often somewhat of a business simulation. they kind of .do. work by the 'real life' rules, even if people try to de-establish that. the only difference is that there is nobody out there slapping people when they completely dominate the market. (liberalism at its finest, if you wish to call it that)

while I personally am of the kind who eventually starts paying more attention to markets, I am most of all a crafter for friends. I have never been one to make a dime with a kiosk or an auction house (while I had a kiosk in both Final Fantasy games, in LOTRO I stayed clear from the auction house unless I really really needed to have an upgrade no guildie could make for me)

if they want to force us to use the market, that's one thing. making the game one possibility short of getting credits is definitely a bad idea though. of course there's still easy ways for people to make credtis - but they don't want to use these methods.

oh and something else to PVP now that I played a few days:
I'm still 100% at the point where I say 'late games need to go'. it's just really frustrating. but apart from that I think I'm starting to get a general idea how I can be somewhat helpful. what I .don't. like is that I'm automatically thinking 'ok let me get my 3 medals real quick and then I concentrate on being extra helpful'... especially in games such as huttball where it's often just so plain obvious when I'm healing

Asuka'Raein - Sage
P-Rife
PolishRifle
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

Satiata wrote:
oh and something else to PVP now that I played a few days:
I'm still 100% at the point where I say 'late games need to go'. it's just really frustrating. but apart from that I think I'm starting to get a general idea how I can be somewhat helpful. what I .don't. like is that I'm automatically thinking 'ok let me get my 3 medals real quick and then I concentrate on being extra helpful'... especially in games such as huttball where it's often just so plain obvious when I'm healing

Yeah I was getting irked last night waiting in a queue only to be transported into a 5-0 huttball game by the time I made it on the field the other team scored number 6 game over and had to wait in queue again forever.
On the other hand, I switched to a my sawbones alt (lvl 11) and ended up with 8 medals by standing near turrets, healing sentinels, and occasionally taking down imps with my 4 skills (approx 50K damage 60K healing, 3k objective). End of the game I got 60 WZ comms and some credits. I may not get enough WZ comms by the time I hit 20 to get the PvP gear.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

My thoughts on 1.2:

It's freaking awesome.

Time to look at the game like a new game. People are throwing the word "grind" around a lot these days. Working towards gear is not a grind. Having to kill 100,000,000 mbos to get a level, or 500 of a mob type to gain some boost to stats (like in LOTRO) is a grind. Doing a hundreds/thousands of WZs for gear for pvp is not really a grind, it's progression, it's putting in the time to advance your character, because the thing you're doing (WZs) are the end product and they are fun.

To succeed in WZs now all you need is balance, communication, and smart play, like it always should have been. I've won 75% of the games I've played since 1.2, and I do just as well on medals as I always have, because I play my tank class like a tank class and let others worry about big numbers. I guard the healer or whoever is getting focused. Healers need a tank to protect them, tanks need healers to keep them up, DPS can focus on killing things. It's awesome! So the Sith may be a bit ahead of us because they have more numbers and can get in more WZs against each other, etc. etc. Well guess what, this is Star Wars. The Republic/Rebel Alliance has always been outnumbered, because just like in that galaxy, in this game, people want to join the side that is more "powerful" and will stop at nothing to win, and we, the Republic, the underdogs, have to find a way to out smart them to overcome their numbers.

Game-mechanic wise, they are going to bring in character transfers of some kind soon. They said it's their highest priority along with rateds. that will solve many issues, and I imagine rateds won't come until their are cross-server WZs, meaning we'll have more Republic to help us and get our teams balanced. The sky is not falling!

PvE: Yup, the new FP and Opsa re hard! And they are working as intended, for the hardcore raiders to have a new challenge. We should be focusing on adequately completing and understanding the PvE content we already have that we haven't fully mastered. It's that simple. The argument that this should be content that people can just jump into because it's new doesn't fly. This is 1.2, not 2.0 where there's a level cap and you can start fresh.

It's so exciting how much we have to do and play with. Legacy brings a lot of neat stats to the table. They want things to be expensive, like mailboxes and stuff on the ship, because they want to keep the Fleet populated.

I'm so excited that I can customize my UI, customize how my gear looks now that we can pull Armoring out, comms and gear is easier to understand, we have lots of different challenges to overcome, WZs are fun now because healers aren't OP and good old focus firing and communication gets the job done. I don't like the daily grind (that is a grind to me, because you have to do the same missions over and over in order to get something to take on the real content you want to do, like Operations) so I'll probably avoid that and find other ways to make my gear great! I'm sorry to see people go, but if you don't like the game, then yup, you probably shouldn't pay to play it anymore!

My 1.2 reaction is probably different than what Physta experienced, but I would expect the end-game warzones to be different.

For me? Freaking awesome. Powertechs, Sorcs, Operatives that were all out of line with reality got toned down. Our Sith opposition was heavy with them. I tend to see a lot more balance on our end of the spectrum, and it's paying off now. The good enemy healers are still good, but not unkillable, just how it should be.

Yes, players like Ghosttown running with their full team could not be killed, at least not without 4 or 5 people focusing them for 60 seconds straight if not more, because of the guard/crossheal combinations. I was probably the best healer-lockdown spec in game, use both my interrupts on the right heals basically every time they're up, and I still couldn't stop a good BH or Sorc healer with 1 or 2 other people helping me. That HAD to be toned down before ranked warzones, and they did it. I expect they'll slightly tweak Sentinel and Shadow DPS downward prior to Ranked matches and everything will be in a great spot.

I *love* Novare coast...best Warzone so far IMO. I would play this one all day. Partial capping, comeback mechanic, real terrain elevation changes and LOS issues, all beautiful things. Not to mention the little AOE deathtrap tents where they put the nodes : P I'm not even an AOE spec and I think it's awesome. Can't imagine what mortar volley can do in those things now.

Crafting changes and item changes were great for me. I'm finally back in my Bladefury gear looking like a badass Jedi, using my white Crystal in my BM saber, and not wearing gold spandex space-samurai garb.

Legacy was just fun for me. I like to play alts slowly, and experience the story, and it made it easier and more interesting to do so. Not necessarily a "reason to play the game" feature for me, so much as a fun, unique mechanic with a LOT of possibilities.

I'm not seeing the problem with the medal system yet, but like I said that could be different being in the 50 bracket, I feel bad if the under 50 bracket has gotten so bad in terms of quitting...I had a few random 15 min blocks here or there the last couple days because of my schedule so I just pugged a few warzones to satisfy the creeping insanity I was suffering from wanting to see what the 1.2 fuss was all about.

My thoughts - healers doing less, but dps also doing less damage, by a lot. I'm doing a little over half the damage I was prior to 1.2 for some reason, even though the only guy topping me was Tormm, which is to be expected. The good healers are still outhealing DPS, even among nerfed classes, just not astronomically so.

I went up against a couple quality premades, and a couple pug groups, and won them all except an Alderaan against an Omni premade. They beat my PUG team so quickly that I only got 2 medals and got zero comms, but the new medal system was so easy for me every other match I had a minimum of 8 medals, and they were all shorter-than-normal matches for me, a full length match I'm getting double digit medals every time, and pre 1.2 averaged 5-6. So for me - more medals = good, better than the slight chance that you get beaten so quickly that you get nothing, though that was very
frustrating when it did happen.

Keep in mind, the only Battlemaster pieces I have are my lightsabers, so I'm doing this in the old Champ gear, which is significantly worse than BM gear now for PVP.

I think if you're seeing this trend a lot prior to 50, your best bet is to try to queue up with a group, or push for 50 where it gets a lot better, I'm still not seeing a lot of people bailing in 50 warzones.

It might be good to push for 50 anyway, as in about a month I'm guessing more people will have the new tier of PVP gear or augmented PVP gear and they'll have a significant advantage.

Update to settle the "no rewards for less than 3 medals" beef some of us are currently having with BioWare : )

See Daniel Erickson's post here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3995612#edit3995612

You will see those harsh penalties going away, so rejoice, all will be happy!

Awarded:

Nice find Tarith! This is a good reason Oli is waiting a few weeks to come back to 1.2... Bioware DOES LISTEN TO US (does no one remember how they actually changed the name of an Advanced Class due to our feedback?), more I think than other gaming companies I've seen, you just have to give them faith and patience.

no, I don't remember that, because they only started letting europeans into the beta in summer 2011

anyway, yeah the whole only one medal is needed deal is definitely good news. it means I will go all 'ok ok I'll get my one medal no doubt, I'll just concentrate on healing' lol

and yeah, today confirmed again, it's definitely over all a better system now, simply because people need to learn to actually work together and not just all jump on one person to get kills. if you finish a game in a minute you get lots of commendations.

what's sad is that apparently people don't seem to 'get' the system (either that, or they don't like it because they can no longer steamroll people)... so I hope bioware will not listen to naysayers tooo much.

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Necro'ed for fun :)

Awarded:

HOLY NECRO BATMAN!!

But whhhhyyyyy???

Awarded: