View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Viperblades

re: 1.2 reactions?

Ill admit so far my reaction to 1.2 is that im going to finish the story lines I like and un-sub. I love pvp but this whole rewards system is just stupid when you consider the factional imbalance.

Is anyone else frustrated with this?
Satiata
Member - 5 Years

well, I do have my concerns about it since depending on the match setting now chances of me ending up with zero commendations/valor/credits have drastically increased. I heard it's a lot harder for tanks now aswell. but it's still too early too say. about the gain difference in general between winning and losing, they might have to look into it.

I actually liked the system of still getting 'something', but more than 4 medals not meaning anything for gain. sure, they should increase that number since now you can get a lot more medals (if you can get the medals they seem to rain on you)

right now - at least for me as a scoundrel healer - it looks like there is only either or:
a lot of medals - or very few. there seems to be no in-between.

for the patch as a whole, though... I LOVE IT. it might be because I'm not just interested in PVP, though. however, it does concern me a little since we are on a PVP server and for lots of folks that's all they care about. lots of the imps are already better equipted than us aswell, so more Rep player may be thinking like you do :/

that however doesn't change that I got me a birdie yesterday and yes, little things like that do indeed make me super happy. I can't wait to figure out how to get the tauntaun pet from Hoth aswell. I've spent hours on my legacy, and apart from tiny changes I haven't even started playing around with my user interface yet.

I can't wait to see the new flashpoint, even though I definitely need to gear up first. (so the new operation definitely has to wait a while)

it's awesome you can trade between chars on opposing factions now, and I am really looking forward to starting a chiss gunslinger.

I also already tested playing my juggernaut with her new smuggler/ia buff yesterday and it's a nice little gimmick. I've not let her use dirty kick yet but i'm sure that will be fun aswell ;D

I haven't even started playing around with the new crafting system, so we'll see about that one.

Asuka'Raein - Sage
Maereth

The "Cap" on medals is now 8 - but there's a minimum as well. If you don't get 3, you get nothing. Nada, zilch, zero, empty pockets.

So, if you join late in a match, there's a hefty chance you'll get nothing out of it... Which sucks while leveling.

Awarded:

I dont get what's not to like about 1.2. It's not perfect, but it's better than the game has been. I think every aspect of the game got an improvment. I think the only big thing that would've made it better is if rated war zones made the cut, and hopefully they will be in very soon. The only things not to like about 1.2 are the things that you wouldn't like about the game before 1.2 also (not a very elaborate PvP system, few end-game options).

Awarded:

Maereth wrote:
The "Cap" on medals is now 8 - but there's a minimum as well. If you don't get 3, you get nothing. Nada, zilch, zero, empty pockets.

So, if you join late in a match, there's a hefty chance you'll get nothing out of it... Which sucks while leveling.

Yeah I jumped into a match late got 2 medals and ended up with nothing despite my team winning. If I had know that was going to happen I would have quit and waited to join a new match after my time in the "quitters penalty box"

Maereth

ATownArmy wrote:
I dont get what's not to like about 1.2. It's not perfect, but it's better than the game has been. I think every aspect of the game got an improvment. I think the only big thing that would've made it better is if rated war zones made the cut, and hopefully they will be in very soon. The only things not to like about 1.2 are the things that you wouldn't like about the game before 1.2 also (not a very elaborate PvP system, few end-game options).

That and ugly as hell gear for 99% of the options. Going bankrupt just trying to crit-craft something if you're unlucky... Legacy being essentially useless (still), the inability to queue with 5-7 people (haven't tried a full op yet, but 5 didn't work so it doesn't look promising), severely heavy difficulty ramp up for the new FP/Op... I've heard you need near-full Rakata to even look at the new op.
There's a lot of changes they put in that aren't really helpful to what they wanted the game to be. I get that they're learning, but still.

So far I'm loving most of the changes that came along with with 1.2. Legacy system is definitely a step in the right.direction. Do I need to know the relation all my characters have to each other? No but it's still a unique and interesting interface. And throwing sticky grenades with my Shadow was a blast. The dailies on Corellia are really fun. Even got to try out the new FP on story mode and it was very good. So in terms of PvE and new character immersion options 1.2 is a great step forward. Let's not forget the custom UI. That initself was something I wasn't very excited about since I had no real problems with the UI in the first place. But once I started playing with it, there was no turning back

That being said I share the concerns about the PvP as my guildmates. With the current system in place it's almost as though they are encouraging people to quit WZ's. I played 6 matches yesterday during the day and ended up with 250 comms we lost all 6. Had one match with only 3 medals and got 14 comms for it. With no auto-end timer you could literally get into a match of 4 vs 8 and your only option would be to quit. Unless of course your a bit masochistic with your characters, coupled with the reduced payouts if your on the losing team we may start to see people leaving WZ during the match a lot more.

So other than my concerns with the changes to the PvP system listed above I think BW did a good job with this patch. Although I do hope BW is looking very closely at faction imbalance or we may soon all be playing Star Wars The Old Empire.

Photobucket
ATownArmy
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

Piece-by-piece:

Yes, the gear is ugly. You got me there. But a lot of the gear in the game is ugly, especially end-game gear. That's been a problem before 1.2.

Making crafting expensive is something they should've done sooner. Pre-launch they said that crafting would be hard and only a few people that put in a lot of time and effort would be able to craft the best of the best. Pre 1.2 any1 could craft just about anything. This is a step in the right direction, but I dont think (and actually hope) that it's not done yet

legacy is exactly what it should be. A few lil thumbs up through game mechanics for leveling alts. Nothing to give you a PvP advantage, but something to show that you've put in time. A few extra stats, emotes, buffs, lil stuff like that (though the stats and buffs are a lil help in PvP)

As I said, it sucks that rated warzones didnt make it, but I'd rather wait for it to be right than rush in a broken system.

And people have been asking for harder PvE since 1.1 launched. There is a good population of people that have full 16 man raids in full rakata gear that are bored with PvE, they need something to keep them entertained.

It's not perfect, but it's a lot of fun and a great improvement. I think everything that 1.2 brought is an improvment, and the people that dont like it, just dont like change, or expected 1.2 to change to fit what they wanted specifically.

ATownArmy wrote:

legacy is exactly what it should be. A few lil thumbs up through game mechanics for leveling alts. Nothing to give you a PvP advantage, but something to show that you've put in time. A few extra stats, emotes, buffs, lil stuff like that (though the stats and buffs are a lil help in PvP)

One thing they never made clear, and what pissed a lot of people off (myself included) is that things cost both a certain Legacy Level AND a buckton of credits. SO you can grind out the levels easy.. But to get something convenient, such as the mailbox on your ship, you have to have a rather-high LL and a bunch of credits. Yeah, it's a credit sink, and the game needs them. And yes, you gain a good chunk of credits as you level up to get the LLs. But what about those that didn't PvP a lot before, and didn't have the "perfect" raid group, and had to spend all of our credits on the expensive as hell repair bills. I, for one, was dropping close to 100k a raid night. And if you didn't pvp heavy or do every daily in the game every day, keeping credits up was hard. Yeah, people like Bubbles had over 5 million credits. But a really hefty percentage of the population wasn't even breaking 500k. So, I'm LL24... And I can't use half the stuff I have unlocked because I can't afford it. It means the actual Legacy system is useless as an in-game tracker. It's a minor, MINOR part of the system - it's just a giant credit sink under a new name to make it unique, with a few small twists that aren't a real hindrance. What a lot of us expected was not a giant credit sink, but an option - using LLs OR credits to unlock something - not both. And if it was either/or, I'd love the system. But not as it is, because credits are still hard to gather up in the numbers they want.

ATownArmy wrote:
Piece-by-piece:
It's not perfect, but it's a lot of fun and a great improvement. I think everything that 1.2 brought is an improvment, and the people that dont like it, just dont like change, or expected 1.2 to change to fit what they wanted specifically.

So you think the new pvp rewards system is a good idea? Change for the sake of change isn't always a good idea. There are water valve designs that are 50+ years old that are still in use because they work.
Maereth

Viperblades wrote:
ATownArmy wrote:
Piece-by-piece:

So you think the new pvp rewards system is a good idea? Change for the sake of change isn't always a good idea. There are water valve designs that are 50+ years old that are still in use because they work.

We still use levers, pullies, and ramps for the same reason. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Awarded:

PvP reward system has been dogged since day 1, and not just in SWTOR. Since december people hated having to cwap WZ comms for merc comms for bags for tokens for gear. they got rid of 3 of those steps, now its comms (though 2 different kinds, you ideally wont have to convert them, though you can if it works out best for you). Like I said, I may not like every change that they made, but I see why they did them. They'll tweak the reward system just like they have since day 1. It's only 4 months into a brand new MMO that has to keep 1 million people with 1 million preferences of gameplay happy.

I'll say it for the 99th time, its not perfect. But it's trending in the right direction, but to say that 1.2 is going to make you unsub means that you'd rather have 1.1 than 1.2? I understand if you didnt like the game before the patch, thats fine, a lot of people didn't, but you cant say that the game is worse in post 1.2.

ATownArmy wrote:

I'll say it for the 99th time, its not perfect. But it's trending in the right direction, but to say that 1.2 is going to make you unsub means that you'd rather have 1.1 than 1.2? I understand if you didnt like the game before the patch, thats fine, a lot of people didn't, but you cant say that the game is worse in post 1.2.

From a Pvp point of view i'd rather have 1.1. since we don't have pre-mades sub 50 alot i solo queue often. now since people leave more often i'm getting thrown into losing WZs and no matter how much i contribute I get 0-to 35 comms.
Quirquie

I have only played 2 wz's so far, the first (voidstar) we won, I barely died in the first round and never died in the second round and at the end they gave me 5 more badges for a total of 12, I have to admit I didn't pay attention to the rewards I got, I was too busy seeing what I got badges for. The second (huttball) we were up against a Kajaidic premade, so I got focused a lot and I still left with 5 badges, but I got absolutely no credits at all, that alone will probably keep me from doing many wz's before I hit 50 as I need to make credits, I am always broke and it will just get worse if I do not quest more now.

So my only dislike at this time is no credits for losing even if you get the required 3 badges. Is this true for level 50 WZ's as well?
ATownArmy
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

PvP AND PvE are not how you make credits. You need to be crafting and dgathering. They've said since day 1 that crafting will be an integral part to gameplay, but people ignored it and the GTN because they made all of their credits lvling and doing PvP/PvE. now theyre saying: "There is a whole aspect of this game that you are not experiencing. Experience it or starve!" A little extreme, yes, but once you get into making credits on the GTN, its a lot of fun, and takes very little time.

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: