View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palindora
Aestel Cooper
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

re: Aestel's Art

So I'm not much of an artist the furthest I've got previously was basic imaged editing, but was inspired by some of the great artist we have in the guild and decided it's about time I learnt to do things properly. My first attempt was my new Avatar which was fairly straight forward, so I decided for my next attempt to try a chibi face and here are the results:

Forum Image
V2 - Added some shine to the hair and made her complexion darker
Forum Image
V3 - Re-worked the eyes and hair using some different techniques.
Forum Image
V4 - Found some brushes to download for work with hair
Forum Image
I think I'll try some more complicated faces next before I move onto the full bodied chibi.

Last edited by Aestel Cooper on October 17, 2011 8:32 pm; edited 4 times in total

Ohh, great job! I really love your penguin =) But your chibi is an awesome start to some really cool things you can do! I just started drawing ponies and pairing them with some funny smuggler one-liners. I trace all the outlines, so I cheat a little, but I'm hoping the more I do it, the less of a crutch I need. So I think what you're doing is great and keep up the good work!

Before you criticize someone, try to put yourself on their ship and fly around a while. That way, when you criticize them, you're a few parsecs away and you have their ship.
Crox Rava

That's your first attempt? It's really good!

Photobucket
Palindora
Aestel Cooper
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

Captain Bubbles wrote:
Ohh, great job! I really love your penguin =) But your chibi is an awesome start to some really cool things you can do! I just started drawing ponies and pairing them with some funny smuggler one-liners. I trace all the outlines, so I cheat a little, but I'm hoping the more I do it, the less of a crutch I need. So I think what you're doing is great and keep up the good work!

I'm not very good at the outlines yet I'm just mimicking and then making small changes so I can get a better feel for it.

I used this guy as the basic style for my penguin but didn't like how the body and head were one circle:
Forum Image

For my Chibi I just followed a beginners tutorial on dragoart.com and tried to stick to it as much as possible to get the outline then just looked round at other chibi's to see what people did to color them in.

So yeah I think copying is a good place to begin with and hopefully as I get more confident I'll deviate more and more from the original.

Penguin is awesome :D

and those chibis are really nice too :D specially the third one, really great work Aestel Happy

AstralProjection

Yeah, great job for first attempts! Seems like you have a natural talent for art, Aestel, keep posting your projects, I'm sure we'd all love to see them : )

Love them!! I really want to hug that penguin o.o

Captain Bubbles

o.O I like your new sig Aestel!!

Before you criticize someone, try to put yourself on their ship and fly around a while. That way, when you criticize them, you're a few parsecs away and you have their ship.
Palindora
Aestel Cooper
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

Captain Bubbles wrote:
o.O I like your new sig Aestel!!

Well that's a shame cause I've got an even newer one now!

Good to see my fellow southerner doing some art Happy.

What equipment are you using? - mouse/tablet or art package software.

I've found certain combinations work well, but a wacom tablet is a great investment (if you don't already have one).

I like the style, plus it's so easy to progress quickly with digital art (a big bonus, as my first few digital pictures I did were hideous lol).

Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

I'm using the fairly low tech setup with GIMP and the touchpad on my laptop, so having to mostly stick to benzine curves so I can make use of the simulated pressure. I'm not sure how much real benefit I'd get out of a graphics touchpad though as I've never learnt how to draw by hand, I dropped art as a subject as soon as they would let me.

Jump to: