View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Palindora
Aestel Cooper
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

re: Achievements

So I completely missed this announcement last week (from the eurogamer meet and greet), but apparently achievements have made it into the game. This was something I was a little disappointed when I first heard it wasn't going to be in for launch, so happy its made it in there. big grin

http://darthhater.com/2011/09/26/eurogamer-expo-2011-meet-and-greet-qa-highlights/

Quote:

Q: Will there be achievements in the game?

SR: There will not be achievements in game at ship, correct?

DE: Not correct.

SR: Not correct?!?

DE: Not correct. Achievements have made ship in fact. They're not going to be the achievements, the crazy achievements that you have to place everywhere, that are like, "Hey if you drink 6 beers and fart in a cantina," those are not going the achievements to go in. Version 1 of the achievement system which go in, which is actually doing big, heroic stuff, because there's a ton of great optional content in The Old Republic, like, "Hey, I went to every world and kicked the world boss's ass." Those kinds of achievements. That's going to be the level one system. People need reasons to go back to planets and run around and do that other stuff, so that will come second. The first system is, "Hey, here's my bragging rights, here's the bad ass stuff I did in-game."

Wow thats cool thanks for the info Aestel. I hope they include the date that you get the achievement for all to see.

It would be nice if there is also an achievement for getting in the early access and logging in on the 20th.

I don't know about this. I think the idea of achievements is cool, but it reminds me too much of WoW. Like where there were races to get the first level cap character achievement, and first dungeon clear achievement.
AstralProjection

Atrayu Yung wrote:
I don't know about this. I think the idea of achievements is cool, but it reminds me too much of WoW. Like where there were races to get the first level cap character achievement, and first dungeon clear achievement.

Personally I like it...WoW wasn't the first place to implement something like this. While I agree with you that association with WoW sometimes leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I think that any system that awards people with anything, even if it's a nominal, frivolous thing like a producer credit on a TV show, will contribute to the overall longevity of the game.

The more things you give people to chase, the longer they will continue to play, it's been demonstrated many times.

It`s always good to have achievements in game, specially if you get some rewards for them, gives you something to do when you are max lvl and don`t really have anyone to play with or if you are on lock in all Flashpoints :DHappy

Garlen Durakkis

I love achievements on any game. They make me feel like I accomplished something lol
Namluck

I never was that into achievements in WoW, but I am going to make it a point to work for achievements in TOR. I want to experience everything the game has to offer!

I'd rather have them than not have them... thanks Happy

Landscaper

I'm a collector, so this is right up my alley! Thanks for posting .

On a side note, I notice Zoran mentioned the 20th of December being early access, is there a source confirming this?

Landscaper, 'cuz I mow 'em down baby!
Blind Equilibrium

Landscaper wrote:

On a side note, I notice Zoran mentioned the 20th of December being early access, is there a source confirming this?

The 20th is full release, the actual early access date has not been announced to my knowledge
Wolfwood Barbarossa

Awesome! I love well thought out achievements and not the stupid stuff like hug all of the little animals.

Blind Equilibrium wrote:
Landscaper wrote:

The 20th is full release, the actual early access date has not been announced to my knowledge

This is correct. Release date is 12/20/2011... it seems like everyone should know this lol :P

Zoron Ror

Matternous wrote:
Blind Equilibrium wrote:
Landscaper wrote:

This is correct. Release date is 12/20/2011... it seems like everyone should know this lol :P

I worded it weird lol, I meant to say i hope we get an achievement for early access AND when the game is released. Happy

I think Achievements are GREAT.

Some of the most fun I have had in gaming is spending insane amounts of time to get them, things like

Lucky Winner

Hit the jackpot at a slot machine in Bioshock. I usually don't gamble in survival style of games but I did try for this fo quite a bit (used the load/save technique so I didn't lose money).

In MMO's they can make the 100th run of a flashpoint feel fun again.
Idea.

Amorl wrote:
I think Achievements are GREAT.

Some of the most fun I have had in gaming is spending insane amounts of time to get them, things like

Lucky Winner

Hit the jackpot at a slot machine in Bioshock. I usually don't gamble in survival style of games but I did try for this fo quite a bit (used the load/save technique so I didn't lose money).

In MMO's they can make the 100th run of a flashpoint feel fun again.

This!

Achievements are everything that I gun for in MMOs. I'm a completionist at heart so ill be hunting down those achievements like nobody's business Happy (when i get the time of course)

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: