View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Areku99

re: The Writers' Thread

Alright, I know there are other people in the guild who write, whether it's a novel, play, screenplay, anything. So basically, this is a thread where we can discuss our projects, techniques, and the like.

I'll start the conversation off with a small question that I find to be rather thought-provoking. *ahem*

Why do you write, and what is your philosophy as to writing?

I'll only say this; I write as an emotional release. I write because I feel, and I know what impossible things I desire from this world. The fact is simple in that you'll find an idealized version of me, and the whole of what I want from the world in the form of the male and female protagonists of my stories. As for my form, I write for mass media, but I've yet to hit the big time. I may delve into theater and start from there, though, I really don't know. But if I start outside of theater, I doubt I'll ever go there.

While my work serves as an emotional vent for me, I also write on wavelengths; that is, I write a story that can be divided usually into two layers, and maybe more. For example, I wrote an eight-page play for a workshop. Knowing that I would be working with little kids as my cast, I wrote about a 'kid court'--a courtroom conducted as a real one, but kids run the show. Now, kids will see it (as will a non-thinking regular Joe) and say, "Ha ha, look, it's serious but the victim is a stuffed bear!" They'll look at the brawl scene as no more than slapstick. Now, the parents will be seeing this play as well. They're happy to see their kids perform, but I want them to be interested in more than their little angel testifying as to the treatment of a stuffed bear. How do I do this?

Well, most TV shows use innuendo. I find myself uncomfortable with writing innuendo and telling little kids to recite it in front of their parents for obvious reasons, so I made it all a (not-so) stealthy parody of the American Justice System. Problem solved, everyone's interested. And maybe they'll learn something. I write the obvious storyline (a faux trial where the 'defendant' faces the penalty of eating 'cafeteria meatloaf surprise') and the subtle messages within (the fact that the system gets a bit wacky at times). Everyone's engaged, and I feel like a genius.

Now, sometimes I'll get a bit deeper. In a TV miniseries I am writing, Innocence Lost, I delve into the subject of the morality of nuking cities, of abandonment, of blind loyalty, of revenge, and of what makes people fall in love, but I hide that, letting it show at certain points where I must. But on the surface? Two kids trying to survive a horrific post-apocalyptic world that they didn't know existed outside of their oasis, and of their need to communicate. That's how I 'layer' my stories. I weave it like a tapestry.

One final block of text, and then I'm done: I personally subscribe to the theory that one should leave something better than how they found it--however, I tend to only apply this to one thing: the audience. I want to teach the audience, and maybe even the cast and crew. I bare my emotions onto the page to teach them a subtle lesson, because in my opinion, we writers have a responsibility to teach the world how to love again, how to be beautiful again. George Sand said, "Art for art's sake is an empty phrase. Art for the sake of truth, art for the sake of the good and the beautiful that is the faith I am searching for." I hold mixed feelings as to this quote--is it really empty, what they call l'art pour l'art? I say art is art, and that art exists for itself, and--despite what some say, we writers are as much artists as the painter or the sculptor--but art can be for more than art.

And I leave you with this quote that I wrote myself: "The writer, at first, may write for himself. Likewise, the painter may paint for himself and the sculptor may sculpt for himself. But I tell you now, the greatest artist may create art for himself, or for the sake of art, but even the smallest work of art, whether crafted by pen, paint, or clay, can teach the world to be human again. And the artist who knows this can remake the world." --Areku

So with that long and flowery introduction...here we are! The writer's thread! big grin

This is going to sound a little bland after your post, but I honestly write because I feel as though I have to.
There's no philosophy behind what I do, no subtle deeper meanings, no intentional messages.
*If* someone takes away a lesson from anything I've written, good for them, but no piece of fiction I've put my mind to has ever been more than just a story.

What I *do* strive for is being immersive. While stories might start in my mind as a mere spark, they very quickly unfold over the course of the first few weeks into their own universes, each with distinctive quirks and differences.
I hammer things out to the very last detail, so that even if certain things aren't exposed right away to the reader, I know exactly why everyone in the fictional scenario acts and reacts the way they do.
For the same reason I attempt to make the characters as realistic and varied as possible. No easy archetypes here.

Nor do I stop at just writing things down for this. My main project has spawned myriad paintings and sketches, maps, jewelery, costumes, and in progress model weapons. Part of being so involved in so many hobbies and interests also gives me an ability for added realism when I write about things.

Honestly there are times I find it so distracting I'm glad I only work part-time right now. It's also why I try and stick to one project at a time in terms of my writing. Even simple things like fanfics can throw me for a loop if I'm too far into something else.
Areku99

I always liked the worldbuilding when I tried to write a novel, but that was half the reason I wasn't able to finish it--but I kept it on paper. I've come up with countless maps (usually 3 sheets by 3 sheets, a sort of grid if you will) and even tried to build a new language. I never did have the skills to do costumes or jewelery, though--but I tell you, you're going to have a hell of a fanbase when you hit the big-time.

And I agree on the one-project-at-a-time thing; I was hesitant to start a monologue to open a theater piece I was considering. The worst part for me is that I have a 'window of opportunity', so to speak. I have to meet these deadlines in my head that I don't know the specifics on or I get this HUGE case of writer's block that I'm incapable of overcoming. Worst part is, I only know when they pass once they do, and the spark inside me dies. So I have to focus all my energy on that project until it's done. Needless to say, I have yet to finish a project (save for the aforementioned eight-page-play) but now that I'm devoting myself in full to my work, I should be able to finish projects now.

Also, as a general question--how do you finish your novels? I never can--do you have a program that lets you know how many pages you'll have once it prints? I figure that Word won't measure that accurately :/

Remember those big rolls of paper they had in elementary school? I have one of those in white that I use for maps. Now that it's finally warm I want to get a new set of prisma colour markers and work on a full scale one outside so I can put it up on my wall. One of my early projects that became much to large for me to wrap my mind around at the moment and was shelved had a fully functional language, though it was lacking in diversity of adjectives. The language was meant for spies though, so it worked well enough for basic messages. Oftentimes it was woven into songs, so that what people assumed were just pretty nonsense words actually held hidden meanings.

I actually put a hiatus on my current project (save the non writing elements of it) just for the summer so I could have some fun doing some rps and little writing projects. I'm also working on a four part zombie apocalypse story this summer, but they're more in the novella category than novel. Quick fun reads that have the potential to go for much longer than the four parts, and the potential for me to back track in the time-line and write more stories in between.

I've finished two books so far, but they're not really at a point I'm happy with. I go back and edit them constantly, sometimes waking up in the middle of the night after a weird dream and realizing, "Nope, gotta change this."

As far as how I finish things, I always figure out my start and end before I even begin writing. Then I work out a chapter time-line, outlining what happens at each point so I can keep on track. Plus this way I keep things cohesive.
As far as page counts, I just estimate. I base my guesses on the word counts of other books out there, and how many pages those books are. I keep thinking I should just figure out the average # per page in a basic paperback (and maybe a larger size book ala HP) but never seem to get around to it haha.
Riddly Dun

Why I write? Geez. I like to tell stories. I want to make people laugh and smile. I want people to think about their own being, wonder and reflect on themselves and writing can give all these things. Though really I find it fun. I kind of get lost doing it sometimes. My mind wanders into ideas keeps that keep the story pushing forward. On most days when I'm doing nothing I making stories for random people I see walking down the street. It's always been natural for me to do it. Even when I'm upset I do a bit of writing in my journal and I feel way better than I did before. Things feel clearer and my mind is placed in the right place after I do some writing.

My philosophy on writing... I try to write stuff that's fun and entertaining. People with depth and reasons for why they are the way they are. Though entertaining is part the other is to make people think. When I was in high school I had a teacher that made me think of the world in a completely different way. He made me feel like it was OK to be in my head all day thinking of the most absurd things. I felt like it's OK to question your surrounding and the people around you. That it was OK to want a class to learn, not to get a grade. These Ideas I want to translate into my writing. Though my style is quite there yet and I have a ways to go before I feel comfortable with where I'm at with my writing but doing things like this really help me reflect on my writing and capabilities :D

Just thought I'd share some good news...I've been doing this writing/directing camp at the local college, and apparently I impressed the instructors, because we're discussing having me do something for a studio they own--first paid gig, here I come! big grin

Areku99 wrote:
Just thought I'd share some good news...I've been doing this writing/directing camp at the local college, and apparently I impressed the instructors, because we're discussing having me do something for a studio they own--first paid gig, here I come! big grin

Wow, that's great news congrats! Maybe I'll start asking you for tips on my writing. :D

Great news Areku!

Let us know what becomes of the whole thing.
Lord Marvel

Areku99 wrote:

Congratulation Areku! This is great news indeed Happy Wish you a big success with this Happy

Areku99

Thanks guys! Tomorrow we'll set up a meeting, hopefully to take place next week, so we can discuss formatting and the like for the storyline. I also am *probably* going to make a theater debut as an actor in my own play--one of the actors bailed before the show, and since it's a camp, not the 'real thing' we have to take her back if she comes back, every though she tried to kick me down a flight of stairs and bit another actor...

I mean, yeah, she's no more than eight, but still. -.-

So, yeah, big day tomorrow :P

Hey break a leg! I mean not on the stairs... erm. You'll do great!

Everything went off PERFECTLY! I managed to get the audience going, and I think we were a big hit with the audience!

Speaking of 'big hit', the other lead clocked me for real on the fight scene, but I managed to keep going. Wasn't mad, though. Happy

Hey that's great to hear! To you! *drinks root beer

(Real beer is too effing bitter :X) lol 'big hit' you made a pun.

I must confess that after seeing that Flash-series (link in sig) and reading that it was apparently a metaphor for Japanese and Koreans in that situation, I am writing a screenplay about the same thing. Damn, I'll write about anything. What about you guys, do things easily inspire you?

I usually get inspired by some ideas I get just thinking about silly things. Like what if cats could talk. Would they be complaining the whole time? What would they sound like? Do you think they would say horrible things about their owners only because they can't understand them? What is their opinion on cat nip? I just go on rants like that in my head until something pops up in my head and I laugh then I use that to make something funny later.

The opposite is true too. I would start thinking about moral or ethical questions in the same manner. Until I get a good situation to write about. That or I draw from everyday life and those situations/people.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: