View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Kbrury

re: Member's Cookbook : Recipe Inspiration

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/beef-lombardi-10000000488973/

This is one of my favorite recipes, also you can change up the ingredients quite a bit as it is pretty versatile.

YIELD: Makes 6 servings
COOK TIME:41 MINUTES
PREP TIME:10 MINUTES
BAKE:40 MINUTES

Ingredients
1 pound lean ground beef
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 (6-ounce) package medium egg noodles
6 green onions, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs

Preparation
Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain.
Stir in chopped tomatoes and next 4 ingredients; cook 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and bay leaf, and simmer 30 minutes.
Cook egg noodles according to package directions; drain.
Stir together cooked egg noodles, chopped green onions, and sour cream until blended.
Place noodle mixture in bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with beef mixture; sprinkle evenly with cheeses.
Bake, covered with aluminum foil, at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover casserole, and bake 5 more minutes. Garnish, if desired.
Note: Freeze casserole up to 1 month, if desired. Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bake as directed.
To lighten: Substitute low-fat or fat-free sour cream and 2% reduced-fat Cheddar cheese. Reduce amount of cheeses on top to 1/2 cup each.

Forum Image

VariabIe

I love a good recipe swap, although admittedly, I'm more of a griller (my wife is an excellent cook).

My wife and I have made a concerted effort to eat better and lose weight for about 6 months now, and in that time with a lot of trial and error we've managed to come up with a virtually zero carb version of a margarita that tastes great.

What you'll need:
Tequila:
Now, if you aren't a connoisseur, many liquors are ruled by the "you guy what you pay for" premise, and tequila falls squarely within that realm. Patron is a popular choice, although for my money, you can't get much better than Don Julio, as it has a nice smooth agave taste without disrupting the other flavors or doing what tequila tends to do and kick you in the back of the throat.

Orange Liqueur:
You don't need much. Grand Marnier tends to have more calories, but it also seems to do a better job of smoothing everything out. Cointreau would be a good pick as well.

Lime Juice:
Fresh squeezed limes are ideal, but they're a pain. Key limes are even better if you like your margaritas with a little more tart (which I tend to). In the end, I've found the juice from concentrate to work just fine, particularly this stuff.

Sprite Zero:
You won't need much of this either. Essentially, this gives the drink the slightest hint of fizz, and dilutes the overall mixture a bit so you don't kill yourself after 2 drinks (which you may or may not be prone to anyhow).

Non-sugar sweetener of choice:
I used splenda in my experiments.

Instructions:
Note that much of this is to taste, so if you feel you'd like a little more this or that, feel free and give it a shot. It might take a few drinks to dial in the flavor you like, but then that's the fun, isn't it? big grin

- Fill a 12-16oz glass with ice.
- If you are using the key lime juice I linked, 4-5 good squeezes into the glass is about right, otherwise, I would estimate it at around 4-5oz of lime juice.
- Add a 5 second pour count of your tequila
- Add a splash of your orange liqueur
- Add a heaping tablespoon of non-sugar sweetener
- Fill the remainder of the glass with Sprite Zero
- Mix, taste, decide what to do different with the next drink, and enjoy

Recipe thread! Marvelous idea.

VariabIe wrote:

My wife and I have made a concerted effort to eat better and lose weight for about 6 months now,

I initially read that as "eat butter and lose weight" and was amazed and excited.

Here's an imprecise recipe I've been experimenting with lately. I call it
Minimal Supervision Rice Biryani Adapted from the recipe on the label...

First, cheat and buy something like this.
Forum Image

Ingredients:
    3 tablespoons of that paste. Less if you feel like adding other spices and experimenting.
    (optional) other spices of your choosing
    3 tablespoons of olive oil, or your preferred cooking oil
    250 mL or more of basmati rice You can rinse it if you're not frying it. I guess.
    between 250 - 500mL of mixed frozen vegetables
    1 sliced onion Or diced, but slices are easier to pick up with a fork.
    1 sliced or diced roma tomato (use 2 or maybe a bigger tomato if you want it tangier)
    (optional) about 3 tablespoons of unsweetened yogurt

In a saucepan, fry the onion, oil, paste, spices, and rice together for a few minutes on a low or medium heat until the onion is a bit browned or you're worrying about the paste sticking to the pan and burning... or your oil is burning. Then...

Throw the mixed vegetables in on top of the rice, and the tomato on top of that, then shake the pan level and add enough water to almost cover the mixed veggies.

Cover the pan (I use a pie plate for this) and bring it to a boil, then turn the heat down to like 2 or 3 or something so that it's just barely boiling and you're pretty sure it won't boil over or burn if it gets dry.

Go watch some TV or play a game for 20 to 30 minutes, then come back and check on it. If you get roped into a LoL game by your guildies, be sure to turn the stove off first and let it cook slower with the heat already stored.

Finally, when you're back, if the rice tastes cooked and it's still warm, take it off the stove, stir in the yogurt, and enjoy. If something's wrong at this point, time to experiment and salvage it however you like.
AstralProjection

Here's the family recipe for the best Italian-style Roast Pork you can make...it's the next best thing to living in Philadelphia and having awesome Italian food everywhere.

You can eat it plain, but for best results eat it on an Italian hard roll with pepper rings...mmmm!

For you gluten free folks just leave the roll out ; ) My 4 year old just got tested for Celiac yesterday, I may be joining the Gluten-free chef club when I get the results back.

Meat lovers love this recipe - lots of great variations exist including throwing in red peppers to roast with it, or wrapping the roast in Prosciutto, but it's really perfect without anything extra.

A lot of real butcher shops will sell porchetta spices pre-mixed, though you can usually fill a spice ball with your own mix of a few tablespoons each of rosemary, fennel seeds, and dill, and it will come out fine. use a 3:2 ratio of rosemary to the other spices for best results, I think.

Some recipes call for red cooking wine, but our family's uses white wine.

Select a boneless pork shoulder roast. (It's sometimes called Pork-Butt). If a butcher is going to specially roll and tie one for you, ask him to trim a little more of the fat off of it then he normally does. If possible, have him put a few fresh cloves of garlic on the inside before it is rolled. This makes the end product even better, but it is not mandatory.

Choose a roasting pan with a lid, which is not very much larger than the roast, 2 or 3 inches of space all the way around is a good fit. I like to use 2 to 3 average size cloves of garlic for every pound of meat that I am cooking. So for a 7 pound roast you are probably going to use about 15 to 20 peeled cloves of garlic.

Put the roast in the center of the roasting pan, and put the garlic cloves all around it on the bottom of the pan. Take the porchetta spices and either put them in a stainless steel spice ball, or tie them into a piece of cheesecloth. You'll probably want to use about 4 or 5 tablespoons of spice for a 7 pound roast. Before you close up the spice ball or tie off the cheesecloth, make sure that you put one small very hot dry red pepper inside for every two pounds of meat. This will yield a slightly spicy roast pork sandwich, but you can adjust it if you like yours hotter. Put the spice ball on the bottom of the roasting pan alongside the roast.

Take a few cups of dry white wine and pour it over top of the spice ball, into the bottom of the pan. Fill the pan with cold water until the roast is about half covered. Most of the spice ball will be submerged in the water now. Put the lid on the pan and put the whole thing in the center of the oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees. After about two hours pull the pan and put it on the top of the stove. Carefully remove the lid so that you don’t get burned by the steam. The roast should be getting nice and brown on the top. Turn the roast upside down, put the lid back on and put the pan back in the oven for another two hours. This time when you check it the roast should be about
finished.

At this point I like to cut the netting or string off of the roast. This allows the entire roast to spread over the bottom of the pan and be submerged in the juices. Sometimes I take a sharp knife and cut the pork into 2 or 3 square inch chunks, or simply break it apart with a spoon and a fork. At this time I season it with salt, and let it finish up like this. If the juice level seems to be too low and you are afraid that you won't have enough for your sandwiches, you can add a few cups of water now and not hurt a thing. The garlic cloves at this point have virtually dissolved into the juice, and when you eat a sandwich you aren’t constantly picking Rosemary out of your teeth. Remember the better the bread or rolls are that you start with the better the end result will be. If you don’t have a good selection available, buy the best that you can find and
improvise. Sometimes just buying the bread a day or two ahead of time, and letting it sit on the counter in a paper bag works. Another method is to put the bread in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes and shut the oven off and let the bread cool in there. Put lots of juice on the roll before you pile on the pork, and top it with some vinegar peppers.

Hmmm ^^ Sounds delicious. I bet I could substitue rolls with corn bread and it would be yummy AND gluten free!

Tonight, I'm making meatloaf :

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1.5 lb lean ground beef
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup oats (can use saltine cracker crumbs if you don't have to go gluten free)
2 eggs
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ginger

Preheat over to 350 degrees and grease (with butter) an 8x8 pyrex dish. Press the brown sugar in the bottom of the prepared pyrex dish and spread ketchup over the sugar.

In a mixing bowl, combine and mix all remaining ingredients and shape them into a loaf. Place on top of ketchup.

Sprinkle a little more brown sugar and ketchup on top. Bake in oven for one hour.

Before you criticize someone, try to put yourself on their ship and fly around a while. That way, when you criticize them, you're a few parsecs away and you have their ship.
Jaycen Lightrider

So I want you to all check out this site for Healthy Recipes.

http://attractingwellness.wordpress.com/

Full Disclaimer this site is My Wifes' and has great health tips, info, and AMAZING HEALTHY recipes!

Check it out!
Lord Marvel

Bump for tastyness :D

Valtrics

thanks for bumping, I live off of cold cut sandwiches and pasta because I have no recipes

I used to be a supervisor at a restaurant called Noodles and Company, dunno if anyone has heard of it. So I know a lot of pasta recipes >=)

Will add a recipe soon; I am part of a Sicilian family that has largely kept its' heritage, and we even have a family cookbook that has 97% Italian food and 3% Middle-Eastern food.

Again, will add at first chance!

as a head chef of a Hotel

here are some of my Dishes with pic's ingred an methods

here are a hand full of my dishes

Forum Image
CHEF SEASONAL FISH PLATTER

3X SEASON FISH (CHEFS CHOICE)

3 TYPES OF GREEN VEG (CHEFS CHOICE)

HERB CRUSHED POTATO DICED TOMATO, BLACK OLIVES, PARSLEY, OLIVE OIL, LEMON JUICE, SEASONING.

BUTTER SUACE EQUIL AMOUNTS OF WHIT WINE VINEGAR & DOUBLE CREAM, BTRING TO THE BOIL & REDUCE, WHISK IN COLD DICED BUTTER

GARNISH LEMON WEDGE, CHERVIL, COLOURED LUMP FISH

Forum Image

SUNDRIED TOMATO & RICOTTA STUFFED CHICKEN BREAST, HERB CRUSHED POTATO CAKE, CREAM SAUCE

STUFFING CHOPPED MARINATED TOMATES MIXED WITH RICOTA CHEESE & SEASON

CHICKEN FRENCH TRIM BONE, CUT A HOLE TOP TO TAIL AND USING PIPING BAG STUFF, PAN FRIED SERVICE SIDE DOWN FOR COLOUR AND FINISH OFF IN OVEN

HERB CRUSHED POTATO DICED TOMATO, BLACK OLIVES, PARSLEY, OLIVE OIL, LEMON JUICE, SEASONING

VEGETABLES PEELED BABY CARROTS, FINE GREEN BEANS, BUTTER & SEASON

WHITE SUACE

TRIMMING OF CHICKEN SWET OFF IN A POT, ADD GARLIC & SHALLOTS, ADD WHITE WINE & REDUCE, ADD CHICKEN STOCK, REDUCE BY HALF, ADD DOUBLE CREAM, SEASON TO TASTE, FINISH OFF WITH CHOPPED GREEN HERBS

GARNISH CHEVIL

Forum Image

PAN-FRIED CAJUN SALMON FILLET

SALMON FILLET DUSTED IN CAJUN SPICES & SEASONING

PAN-FRY IN A HOT PAN & FINISH OFF IN THE OVEN TILL COOKED

COOK OFF ONE POSTION OF EGG NOODLES IN SALTED BOILING WATER (DON’T OVER COOK)

STIR FRY VEGETABLES
CARROT
MIX PEPPERS
MANGE TOUT
COURGETS
SPRING ONION

STIR FRY THE VEGETABLES & ADD SWEET CHILLI SAUCE
THEN ADD SOYA SAUCE, WHEN THE VEG IS COOKED ADD
THE COOKED EGG NOODLES & GARNISH WITH SESAME SEEDS
TO FINISH TOP WITH THE CAJUN SLAMON FILLET

Forum Image

TOASTED BRIOCHE, CREAMED MUSHROOMS, CRESS SALAD

BROICHE A NICE THICK SLICE OF BRIOCHE TOASTED

CREAMED MUSHROOMS PAN-FRIED RED ONION & GARLIC, ADD A HANDFULL OF WILD MUSHROOMS, ADD WHITE WINE & REDUCE, ADD DOULBE CREAM & REDUCE, SEASON TO TASTE.

CRESS SALAD SAKURA CRESS IN A BOWL& ADD DRESSING

GARNISH CRAKE BLACK PEPPER OVER PLATE

DRESSING

SPOONFULL OF ENGLISH MUSTARD
SPOONFULL OF WHITE WINE VINEGAR
SPOONFULL OF HONEY
MIX IN A BOWL
THEN SLOWLY MIX IN POMMIS OIL TILL THICK
SEASON TO TASTE

Forum Image

PAN-FRIED LAMBS LIVER& BACON, SCALLION MASH, MADIERA JUS

FRESH LAMBS LIVER 2X NICE SLICES PER PORTION DUST IN SEASONED FLOUR & PAN-FRY

BACON 2 RASHONS OF BACON FOLD IN HALF AND GRILL

SCALLION MASH MASH POTATO, SEASONING, SPRING ONIONS

VEGETABLES FINE GREEN BEANS WRAPPED IN PANCETTA

GARNISH RED ONION MARMALADE, CRISPY PANCHETTA STRIPS

MEDIERA JUS

SWET OFF 8 BANANA SHALLOTS
SPIG OF TIME
ADD 500ml OF MADIERA
& REDUCE BY HALF
THEN ADD
1.5 LITER OF STOCK
AND REDUCE BY HALF

iv got shit loads if any of you want any more :P

modern British fusion i call it

i got a 1 year sponsership from Knorr & coka cola
i was 2007 chef of the year for great briton out of 277 chef i came in the top 6

iv cook for the queen and many other V I P'S

and iv just had a job offer from a top british chef as a head chef in his resturant

which iv acepted ..: happy days
i start on the 1st of next month..

So, tonight, I made my first pie ever (with fresh peaches I just picked at an orchard!) I had a lot of fun, but it's a challenge to make it gluten free (all from scratch). I'm sure next time around, I'll know what to expect and the top won't end up looking like patchwork. But whatever, it's the taste that counts (right?) and this was all kinds of yummy!

Behold! I give you my first ever PEACH PIE!

Forum Image

Before you criticize someone, try to put yourself on their ship and fly around a while. That way, when you criticize them, you're a few parsecs away and you have their ship.
Captain Bubbles

I always hear the expression "easy as pie" and you know, pies are actually easy to make and they're some of the yummiest things I've cooked so far. I made quiche florentine tonight, check it out!

Forum Image
Forum Image

Here is my super top secret pie crust recipe (it yields 1 bottom pie crust, so if you want to make a double like for my peach pie, just double the quantities -except the egg - and brush egg wash on the top part before putting it in the oven)

- 1.5 cup all purpose flour but if you want gluten free, use:
(1/4 cup potato starch, 1/4 cup tapioca starch, 1/3 cup chickpea flour, 1/3 cup millet flour, 1/3 cup brown rice flour)
- 1 stick butter (4 ounces, 1/2 cup)
- 1.5 teaspoon sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water (maximum)

Mix in the dry ingredients and cut in the butter with a pastry blender (or two forks, if you don't have that) When it looks like coarse corn meal, make a well in the center and pour in the remaining ingredients. Pour water a little bit a time until the dough leaves the side of the bowl without sticking too much (you'll probably need 1 or 2 Tbsp, not a whole 1/4 cup). Mix and fold, make a ball out of the dough and cover it with plastic wrap. Let it chill in the fridge for 2 hours.

Put some flour (white rice flour if gluten free) on a work surface so you can roll the dough without it sticking and once it looks purty, put it in your pie dish. If you're doing gluten free, the dough will be stickier and wet, so you'll just have to cut little puzzle pieces to mold individually to your pie dish.

Tada! It doesn't need to be pre-cooked, just put whatever pie filling in there. For my quiche, I used :

- half a small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 5 strips of bacon
- 10 oz of spinach
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of half and half
- 1/2 cup grated parm cheese
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese

Melt some butter in a pan and sautee the onion and garlic. Cook the bacon in the microwave and cut it in little pieces. Beat the eggs in a big bowl, then add the cream and half and half. Beat some more. Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Pour it in the pie dish. Bake at 350F for about 35 minutes, or until it's nice and golden.

*note : don't over cheese like I did or it will be a little gooey! I just didn't want to have swiss cheese leftover o.O

Last edited by Captain Bubbles on September 16, 2011 8:56 pm; edited 3 times in total

Captain Bubbles

Hi, me again! I got asked how to make gluten free pizza crust, so here are my instructions and I hope it can help Happy

This recipe is for a 12-inch pizza pan
Dry Ingredients
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup potato starch
1/3 cup millet flour
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup chickpea flour (all these flours add up to 2 cups, you can also use 2 cups of gluten free all purpose flour, may I suggest Red Mill)
1.5 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon guar gum
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 teaspoon brown sugar

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

Wet Ingredients
1/8 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 egg white (save the egg yolk for later)
1/2 cup water
3 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoon lemon juice

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the olive oil, rice vinegar and egg white. Mix in the dough, then add water. Mix some more. Sprinkle the baking soda on top and add the lemon juice. Let it bubble and fizzle for a moment, then fold it in the dough. This is what I use instead of yeast to make the dough rise. By the way, the dough is not going to feel like regular pizza dough. Don't worry, it's supposed to be sticky. It should feel like wet Play-Doh.

Take a spatula and dump the dough on a greased (use butter) 12-inch pizza pan. Get a glass of water because your hands need to be constantly wet to spread the dough on the pan. When that's all done, take a moment to raise the edges to make for a nice crust (see below)

Forum Image

Let it rise for 15 minutes in a warm place. I just put mine in the oven on 200F. While it rises, take the egg yolk that wasn't used earlier and mix it with a tablespoon or so of olive oil. You can put any spices you like in the mix. I use a little salt, thyme and red pepper flakes.

After 15 minutes, brush the wash mixture on top of the dough. It will give it a nice color and taste when it bakes.

Put the pizza back in the oven, on 400F, for 10 minutes. Do no over cook. Below is a picture of the crust after it's been brushed, and after it's been cooked.

Forum Image

Tada! All done! Now just put some sauce, cheese and toppings on there, broil it for 5 minutes and enjoy your hard work! See how good the consistency is? It's like real pizza crust and it's flexible and not flaky!

Forum Image

Lord Marvel

Looks Nom Nomish :D

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: