View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Captain Bubbles

re: Member's Cookbook : Recipe Inspiration

I thought it would be fun to have a cookbook on the forums and see what kind of yummy things everyone likes to make and maybe try a few new recipes myself.

I used to be a horrible cook (I burnt pasta, hard boiled eggs, even water...) and since I stopped eating gluten, I became a lot more involved with cooking and concerned about ingredients.

So, I'll start this thread with an awesome recipe I made this morning :

Peach and raspberry crisp

Ingredients :
4 cups peaches (fresh or canned)
2 cups raspberries (fresh or frozen)
3 tablespoon sugar
1 cup + 3 tablespoon rice flour
1 cup oats
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cold butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease (with butter) 9x13 pan. Mix peaches, raspberries, sugar and 3 tablespoon of flour. Add to pan.

Mix rest of flour, oats and brown sugar. Cut in cold butter. Sprinkle butter mixture over peaches and raspberries. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.

Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream nomnomnomnom!

Last edited by Captain Bubbles on April 16, 2011 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Before you criticize someone, try to put yourself on their ship and fly around a while. That way, when you criticize them, you're a few parsecs away and you have their ship.
Taic

That sounds really good! I will definitely have to try it sometime. Happy

I got this recipe from a co-worker from my old job. I have made it a few times and it is absolutely amazing! Since we have some non-American members, I will add the metric measurements too!

Banana Cake

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. (176 degrees Celsius)
1 cup (240 mL) shortening
1 1/2 cups (350 mL) sugar
2 eggs
3-4 bananas (The riper the better!)
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda dissolved into 1/2 cup (120 mL) of water
2 cups (475 mL) flour (bread flour works best, but all purpose is just fine)
1 tsp (5 mL)baking powder
2 cups (475 mL) total of raisins and/or chocolate chips
Dash of salt

Mix shortening and sugar, then add eggs, bananas and vanilla, mix well.

Add flour, baking powder and salt. Add dissolved baking soda, mix well.

Lastly, mix raisins and/or chocolate chips and bake in a greased pan for 27 to 30 min.

It will be a little soft when it comes out of the oven, check with a tooth pick and it should come out relatively clean. It will stiffen up a little as it sits and cover when cool.

Last edited by Taic on April 16, 2011 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cmelt

re: Re: Member's Cookbook : Recipe Inspiration

[quote="Captain Bubbles"]I
I used to be a horrible cook (I burnt pasta, hard boiled eggs, even water...) and since I stopped eating gluten, I became a lot more involved with cooking and concerned about ingredients.
{/quote]

You stopped eating gluten? Do you happen to have celiacs?

"The high destiny of the individual is to serve rather than to rule" -Albert Einstein
Clusterfact

This recipe is fairly simple because I'm not very good at cooking, but it tastes good all the same. wink

Instant Mashed Potatoes that taste like other things!

There are two ways to do this:

Measure out everything you need to make the instant mashed potatoes (instructions and ingrediants are usually on the box), but instead of adding salt, add some chicken or beef boullion sprinkles (maybe less than the actualy amount of salt because boullion is very salty). Add some garlic and you have mashed potatoes that taste like garlic chicken something or other!

The second method I've done goes like this:

Take a can of chicken or beef soup of some kind (veggie soup would work too) and heat it up in a pan like you normally would. Add the right amount of potato flakes that would be appropriate to the amount of liquid in the soup you are heating up and stir it well. Voila! You now have mashed potatoes with chunks of meat and veggies cooked right in!
Captain Bubbles

CmeltTheBoss wrote:

I do not have celiacs, but my sister does. On top of that, my parents and sibblings all have diabetes. Not eating gluten (it's been about two years) is just a precaution I decided to take. On top of making me feel really healthy, it also gave me the drive to learn to cook and I'm really enjoying it tongue out

Before you criticize someone, try to put yourself on their ship and fly around a while. That way, when you criticize them, you're a few parsecs away and you have their ship.
Cmelt

Captain Bubbles wrote:
CmeltTheBoss wrote:

I do not have celiacs, but my sister does. On top of that, my parents and sibblings all have diabetes. Not eating gluten (it's been about two years) is just a precaution I decided to take. On top of making me feel really healthy, it also gave me the drive to learn to cook and I'm really enjoying it tongue out

I actually have celiacs lol. It has been an interesting journey to find gluten-free foods that taste as good or better than normal.

"The high destiny of the individual is to serve rather than to rule" -Albert Einstein
Captain Bubbles

CmeltTheBoss wrote:
I actually have celiacs lol. It has been an interesting journey to find gluten-free foods that taste as good or better than normal.

I hear you on that. It was challenging for me at first, but now I'm perfectly happy with my decision.

For pasta, I suggest you try, instead of rice pasta, quinoa pasta. It has better taste and consistency and it's a super grain. Check out their page on pasta http://quinoa.net/1972.html

Then, if you have a sweet tooth, the brand Pamela's is the best I know for cake mixes, brownies, pie crust etc, it's very tasty. http://www.pamelasproducts.com/index.html

If you didn't know these two brands, I hope it helps and brings some good meals your way!

Cmelt

Captain Bubbles wrote:
CmeltTheBoss wrote:

I hear you on that. It was challenging for me at first, but now I'm perfectly happy with my decision.

For pasta, I suggest you try, instead of rice pasta, quinoa pasta. It has better taste and consistency and it's a super grain. Check out their page on pasta http://quinoa.net/1972.html

Then, if you have a sweet tooth, the brand Pamela's is the best I know for cake mixes, brownies, pie crust etc, it's very tasty. http://www.pamelasproducts.com/index.html

If you didn't know these two brands, I hope it helps and brings some good meals your way!

I actually use both of these already but ty.

Captain Bubbles

Thai noodle soup with pork meatballs

This is really easy to make but most of the ingredients will come from an Oriental grocery store.

Meatballs :
1.5 lb lean ground pork
2T fish sauce (if the smell makes you wanna throw up, you're doing it right)
2T Maggi sauce
2T minced garlic
2t ground black pepper
2t rice flour

Mix everything together and make the pork into small meatballs(should yield about 30) and leave to marinate 3-4 hours in the fridge.

Soup :
2T minced garlic
8 cups chicken broth
4 ounces cellophane noodles (bean thread)
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 cups sliced Napa cabbage
4 green onions thinly sliced
3/4 cup cilantro
1t ground black pepper

Boil the 8 cups chicken broth. Also boil 2 cups of water in a different pan. When the 2 cups of water start boiling, pour it on top of the cellophane noodles sitting in a big bowl. This is how they cook.

When the chicken broth is boiling, add the garlic, Napa cabbage, pepper, cilantro, green onions, black pepper and meatballs. When the meatballs are cooked through, they will float. Add fish sauce and stir.

Place portions of cooked cellophane noodles in large bowls and ladle soup over the noodles. Garnish with fresh green onions and cilantro.

Nomnomnom!

Zoron Ror

The thai noodles with meatballs sounds really good I'll give it a try, thanks.

re: Chilli/Prawn Noodles

Chilli/Prawn Noodles

Serves 2

Ingredients needed.

x1 pack of king prawns (250g apr)
x1 pack of chilli udon noodles (200g apr)
x6 mushrooms (diced)
x1 pointed red pepper (diced)
x1 red chill (diced)
x2 spring onions (diced)

sauce to make (or use a Pre-made sauce if you can't be bothered)

5 Small Red Chili Peppers,
4 Large Shallots, peeled and chopped
2 Tsp Fresh Ginger, grated
1 Tbsp Garlic , peeled and chopped
1 Tsp Szechuan Peppercorns, roughly ground
3 Spring Onions (Scallions). White section only, chopped
3 Tbsp Chinese Rice Wine (or dry sherry)
1 1/2 Tbsp Tomato puree
2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
1/2 Tsp Sesame Oil
3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Tbsp Water

Cook the vegetables & the prawns for 5mins apr
add cooked noodles (either already cooked, or boil as required) 2 mins
add sauce done ;) 2mins to heat through

Sprinkle chopped jalapeño & garlic cheese over the top.

Forum Image

Captain Bubbles wrote:
CmeltTheBoss wrote:

Udon/rice noodles are your friend Happy

I do really like rice noodles and that recipe you just posted sounds really tasty and HHOOOTTT. I think I should try it!

Jecs CI

cool thread. I'd love to really learn how to cook well, but I rarely have the time or energy

My Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake, a.k.a. Paula Deen's Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake. <.<. .>>.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pumpkin-gooey-butter-cakes-recipe/index.html

Just be sure to consult a cardiologist before and after consuming.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: