View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Lohgan
Kod1ak
Member - 4 Years

re: Rogue One Discussion: SPOILERS INSIDE!!!

Just saw Rogue One. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It had so many nods to the original. So many great cameos. Overall, I'd say it wasn't as good as ESB but it's close to the original and I think maybe even better than RotJ (mainly due to Ewoks instead of Wookiees). It's definitely better than any of the prequels...although I actually don't mind those that much...esp Ep III.

Overall, R1 is a very good movie. The ending...holy shit. I think I creamed my pants during a certain scene. I will wait for spoilers a little further down so someone clicking here doesn't read it by mistake. I think honestly...the only thing I didn't like was the beginning. It felt very weird not having the traditional Star Wars crawl. Other than that...loved the movie. Can't wait to see it again with my 501st buddies on Saturday. 

I agree with the beginning part. The lack of the opening crawl as well as the intro scene wasn't like the traditional Star Wars progression. The beginning was jumping around a lot to different planets and led to me being confused at some points. Maybe another viewing will clear this up, but the beginning just seemed all over the place to me. Other than that, the movie was really awesome! Even the easter eggs from the originals and prequels were awesome! Happy to see they used the actors from the prequels in this movie as well.

I'll have to see it again, though because I spent time trying to catch all the nods and cameos. It broke my staying in the story.

I wonder how many noticed the Ghost on Yavin IV.

And a few lore changes: 1: Death Star at low power used to be enough to still destroy a planet rather than leave it in tact. 2: Communication used to be impossible in Hyperspace. 3: Entering Hyperspace within a planet's gravity well (more so in the atmosphere) was generally impossible. In the least it was extremely dangerous and would damage a planet.

The way they did the faces for Tarkin, Leia, a few others. That was ILM at it's finest. Holy cow.

The following is a complaint that does not cover this movie alone. It is merely opinion/observation and it is not necessary for others to view it. Therefore I have placed it as a spoiler and those that don't want to see it won't, and those that do can.

My only complaint (more of a general one than movie specific): it seems that there are too many "ha ha ha" moments. Yeah they're funny, but there are quite a few "comic relief" instances. Wile they're useful, the comic relief in the OT were 3PO and R2, but they didn't break the moment. At least they could not be during the intense moments. If they're not careful, they could ruin one with it.

Since Raptr was installed.
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

I really liked it!  So, first off I want to brag because as some of you may remember, I predicted like a year ago or more when I heard of R1, that there wouldn't be an opening crawl.  I just knew it.  I knew that they wanted this movie to stand out against the "saga" movies and that's how they did it.  I didn't mind the no crawl, I'm ok with them leaving that "sacred" to the "saga" movies.  Remember... the crawl itself is a nod to the Serial old-timey Flash Gordon and other types of shows that had a running story throughout the series and had crawls for each show to catch people up on what they missed.  In that light, it doesn't necessarily make sense for there to be a crawl in a non-episodic Star Wars film. 

What I did mind was the first act.  It was super hard to follow along at times and a bit chaotic.  But I LOVED the entire third act, it felt like Saving Private Ryan in space.  Such a great military film.  I didn't mind the comic relief, I thought it was perfectly done in this film.  The tone and dialog was good.  I loved that they put an emphasis on the Force, and how non-Force users reacted to the Force.

I loved the cameo of the two criminals from the Cantina, and I did not see a Ghost on Yavin IV but I'll look for it.  I LOST MY SHIT when I noticed the old EpIV footage of Gold Leader and other pilots.  The homage to the fat guy pilot getting shot down, I thought was unnecessary but kind of cool.  I half expected there to be a big plot twist in this movie, like many Star Wars movies, so I was expecting the Imperial Defector to actually betray the rebels, but he didn't. Probably for the best.  Vader was amazing in this film.  The fear and terror you felt for the rebels, was just awesome.  The makup work they did on Leia was pretty damn good.  My girlfriend thought that was CGI. What do you guys thing?  I think it was just make up and finding a good look-alike actress, maybe with a little CGI in post-production I suppose.  I am glad my suspicion was right that all the rebels that you got to know died, because I figured... if they got away, why don't we hear from them again in the future?  

I teared up at the idea that the Father worked all those years pretending to be imperial, but really he sabotaged the Death Star.  I like the idea that in a way it's almost like this whole movie was made to answer that nagging question of "how could a huge super weapon have one obvious weakness".  It made it so that the weakness was less obvious to the Imperials. 

Overall great movie.  Because of hte first act I'd say I liked Ep7 more than this one. 

Where would you all put this in the machete order?  Some say the obvious answer is very beginning, right before Ep4.  My only concern with that is that for a brand new fan, watching this first may be overwhelming and confusing, especially for the first act, and with no crawl.  At least a new fan watching Ep4 first gets a crawl and decent exposition to explain what is going on in this galaxy.

Awarded:

I loved it.  I came away feeling much more satisfied with Rogue One than I did after seeing The Force Awakens.  There were no stones left unturned with Rogue One.  The transition from RO to A New Hope is complete.  

I will agree that the 1st Act was a little "all over the place," but I didn't find it hard to follow.  The lack of the usual crawl which we were all costumed to definitely threw people off, but this is a "Star Wars Story."  There should have been no expectation for a crawl.  It falls outside the #ed movies, and thus should receive no backstory.  I called it a year ago.

- Krennic is a serious dick.  He's a little grub who just wants to get the Emperor's attention.  The trailers and everyone made him out to look like such a badass, but really, he's just a slime.  Then he's in the Citadel like, "ARE YOU PEOPLE BLIND??"  He acted like an idiot who didn't know his place.

- @BLASTHARD - I DID NOTICE THE GHOST!  The Ghost was shown twice, both a Yavin IV and in a sequence showing the fleet over Scarif:

- When Jyn is getting the troops ready on Yavin, you can hear "General Syndulla to the command center" over the intercom in the hanger.  This was a reference to Hera Syndulla, the captain of the Ghost from Rebels.

- CHOPPER.  C1-10P is on screen for ~2 seconds visible when the intel agent ran to Mon Mothma outside.  It was hard to spot but I'm 99% sure it was Chop.  Yet another nod to Rebels.

- They showed Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan on Jedha.  I thought this was awesome and a sweet throwback to Episode IV:

- THE FREAKIN' SKYHOPPER REFERENCE ON SCARIF OMG!  The two stormtroopers were talking on the beach before being killed by Malbus.  The first mentioned, "the T-15s becoming obselete," and the other replied, "about damn time."  THIS WAS AWESOME.  Throwback to Luke bulls eyeing womprats with his T-16 back home!

- Red V is resolved.  @SHAWN, it wasn't about a fat guy going down and dying, it was about creating the gap known as Red Five so that Luke could take his place come Episode IV.

- One of the rebels on Jedha (Space Taliban anyone??) is an Anomid.  Pulled from SWTOR which is still considered canon:

- The flippin' Hammerhead cruiser yall.  That was straight out of KotOR and SWTOR when 3 showed up in a Rebels episode.  Now they're in a freakin' movie.  Another nod to Rebels AND The Old Republic.

And of course, the last thing that really made tears stream down my cheeks:  Gold and Red Leader.  AND Wedge Antilles.  They just sniped those scenes from ANH and put them in.  That was sooo cool.  Then there was some serious digital altering and reconstruction with Tarkin and Leia, but they looked great.

The last scene, oooh.  Vader rekted those rebels, and it was unbelievable.  I loved this movie.

Last edited by Kayllek Veran on December 19, 2016 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

Oh, more stuff I have after reading my initial post:

- The ending: Leia says that what Antilles hands her (the plans) is ,"Hope."  This ties directly to Episode IV because now there is a NEW HOPE = LUKE.  MORE MORE HOPE!!

- Still on the ending, it goes right up to maybe an hour until the events of Episode IV.  Bail Organa said that he would convince his Jedi friend (Obi-Wan) on Tatooine to come out of hiding.  So we know that Leia is on her way to Tatooine.  Tantive jumps to hyperspace and Vader is right behind her.  Tantive exits hyperspace over Tatooine, Vader follows, and BOOM - Episode IV starts.

- JIMMY SMITS yalll.  Man came out for one last run as the ole' Senator.  He did a nice job with the Episode III Mon Mothma actor.  When he said, "I will return to Alderaan," I wanted to yell "It's a trap." 

- Saw Gerrera said, "It's a Trap."  

- Vader's sanctuary.  I can only assume that it was Mustafar.  Anyways, Mustafar is reference in Rebels by Tarkin as the place where Jedi go to die.  I guess this was the place, where Vader resided and tortured survivors of #66?

- THE SHIELD GATE = SPACE BALLS ANYONE?? The Scarif shieldgate idea was stolen from the 1987 spinoff movie:

- Deathtroopers = are they cyborgs or humans?  The sounds they made sounded robotic, but never confirmed.  I believe that they could be Mark II Darktroopers, as we saw the Mark I Dark Troopers in Rebels.

To elaborate on Krennic, I thought his character was beautiful, but he acted like a dick.  His worked almost his whole career on this one project, only to have it stolen away and then killed by it.  He acted like a child when he went to Vader asking, "but I'm still in command?" and all that, and when talking with Tarkin, "you'll tell the Emperor all about my involvement?"  His actions and dialogue just showed how weak of a human he was, but his character was well developed.

One big addition to canon was Jedha and the Guardians of the Whills. The Whills are a major callback to the early days of Star Wars overall. Jedha itself with its mass of Kyber crystals and the whole bit is a pretty big deal.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

I also liked the callback to the Whills!  With the deathtroopers, I looked at their legs and it looked like they just had armor plating over tactical pants, so not robots imo.

LOL, I forgot about Spaceballs, I like the idea that they kind of "took" that idea from Spaceballs.  

The planetary shield has been a long time part of Star Wars. But Spaceballs did come to mind as well.

Frost290
Member - 3 Years

Nwahs wrote:

The makup work they did on Leia was pretty damn good.  My girlfriend thought that was CGI. What do you guys thing?  I think it was just make up and finding a good look-alike actress, maybe with a little CGI in post-production I suppose. 

I'm pretty sure that it was confirmed to be entirely CGI. Even with the current technology, makeup will not make you look pretty much exactly what you looked like 40 years ago.

ALSO, at the beginning of the space battle over Scarif when the X-wing comes out of hyperspace is ORGASMIC. Just literal goosebumps like you felt you were jumping out of hyperspace into battle felt AMAZING!

I would like to preface this by saying I loved it. Met all of my expectations for the story. I am very pleased.

That being said, cinematically, there were several things that annoyed me. This is in no particular order. I bring them up not the 'rip' the movie. In the past often you all offer theories or explanations that make me feel better about things so i figured I would put them out there.

As Frost mentioned they made a point to jump around planets in the beginning. But they made some visits to other planet that weren't labeled. (E.g. Mustafar). I think if you start the practice it should continue through the movie.

I didn't like the 'blue' flight suits to identify blue squadron. This stuck out to me as an unnecessary cosmetic change. Now, I would give this choice mad props if this was done to illustrate the 'early' forming of alliance squadrons as they assimilated pilots/fighters from other worlds so there was no uniform look to them. However since there was only Orange and Blue, I don't think that was the case.

I am also confused as to the decorations that a pilot is able to do their helmets. I had, up to this point, accepted that it was an individual choice, similar to goalie masks in the NHL. Over the course of the movies there have been few duplicates. In this movie however there were clear duplicates of design (e.g. Biggs Darklighter's design). While i appreciate some occasional nods to the old movies, i do like some 'realistic' consistencies in the details.

I didn't like the way the rebel fleet was defeated. the Comment' Lord Vader will deal with the rebel fleet' suggests to me that this was a planned event. That Vader was sitting there, somehow in hyperspace, waiting for the moment  to drop out, of course at the precise moment the Republic Fleet was going to jump to light speed, and his start destroyer would be perfectly placed to absorb all of the rebel ships. That seems like a pretty far fetched solution to plan. Arriving in an Interdictor cruiser or something would have pleased me more.

And the topic of absorbing damage.. really? A vessel traveling at the speed of light is gonna be A OK for a Star Destroyer to take?

Keeping in mind I have only seen the movie once, I am left believing that everyone involved in that battle was destroyed. I didn't catch if ANY of the fighters made it past Vaders ship. If that is true, wouldn't that mean that Red and Gold leader have been killed? I am sure if i see it again maybe i will catch of couple of fighters making the jump before the collisions with Vader.

I think lastly, and I don't think I have a good solution for this one, I thought the cast was too big. I had a hard time truly getting attached to all of them to really appreciate the sacrifice they made. K2S0 was probably most heartfelt for me. I enjoyed the bond Chirrut Îmwe had with Baze Malbus. I never really felt anything for Bodhi or Cassian.

Jyn I felt a little bit, but I feel like they didn't give her enough substance. The previews painted her as a 'bad ass' and I thought she would be adding something important to the mission other than her last name and her fathers pet name for her. In the end, her role was inspiration, and I do like that. I just wish there woudl have been more examples of that before her climatic speech. She seemed like a passenger for the first 3/4 of the film.

I make the statement that if this movie had a rosey ending, I would rate it as mediocre. However the dark ending totally had is in my Great listings.

As I said though I loved it!! The scene where Vader boarded the capital ship felt like something out of a Horror movie. The Space battle scenes gave me goosebumps and I tip my hat for the Lea and Tarkin recreations.

As a cheesey side note, a family was sitting in front me when i saw it and they had and 8-9 year old daughter who dressed up like Princess Lea from A New Hope, complete with her head garment. In the final scene when lea appeared in that very outfit, she was jumping up and down in her seat with excitement. The movie could have sucked and being there for that moment would have made my night. :)

Tarkin/Peter Cushing was definitely digitally done and has been confirmed.  Leia, it is assumed to be the same way, but guess it could have been make up on the actress that played her (was not Carrie Fisher in R1).

Some of the comedic jokes were forced like Vader's "Don't choke on your ambition" as he force chokes Krennic.  I could see JEJ rolling his eyes as he said that line.

However, all in all an amazing job with the movie and the characters.  I think they did a really good job with the pacing of the movie and it was great to see the original stuff in the latter part of the movie.  I could have gone for a bit more back story on Jyn and Saw, but it wasn't really necessary.  It is all a little more amazing now with how R1 ends and Star Wars begins.  The original trilogy got a huge dose of weight/gravity to the struggle of the Rebel Alliance that we now see is a bit lacking without Rogue One.  Loved the movie and hopefully the other stand alone movies will be at least this level.  Less than 1 year to Ep VIII now.

I also thought about that one alien being an Anomid. But considering that SWTOR is not cannon, it's hard to tell. But it is likely.

The Hammerhead cruisers is a nice call back to the Old Republic era.

And those are definitely Dark Troopers. Security droids my foot! Those have a very close shape as the Phase III.

Yes that was Mustafar and that was Vader's castle (originally on Vjun).

I'm pretty sure the Death Troopers are not living (at least not completely) as they spoke a very mechanical language.

I wasn't under the impression that Hera was being called over the comm. I figured it was the the guy that was there.

Some Rebel ships did leave before Vader arrived.

Seuhae
Officer

Iolo, there were a few (big and small) ships ahead of the command ship that jumped out right before Vader's group jumped in.

K-2SO definitely bonded with an audience and most could feel and relate to Chirrut and Baze's relationship.  Bodhi I never got a sense of, but from my military background I could relate in that aspect to Cassian.  Without the military I can see where you don't really connect to him though.

The blue flight suits might be a byproduct of using clips from the original Star Wars Ep IV filming.  Not a good answer and not a confirmable answer, but might have simply been their way of distinguishing the new stuff from the original stuff.  I don't recall blue squadron in the original.

Awarded:

Frost290 wrote:
Nwahs wrote:

The makup work they did on Leia was pretty damn good.  My girlfriend thought that was CGI. What do you guys thing?  I think it was just make up and finding a good look-alike actress, maybe with a little CGI in post-production I suppose. 

I'm pretty sure that it was confirmed to be entirely CGI. Even with the current technology, makeup will not make you look pretty much exactly what you looked like 40 years ago.

ALSO, at the beginning of the space battle over Scarif when the X-wing comes out of hyperspace is ORGASMIC. Just literal goosebumps like you felt you were jumping out of hyperspace into battle felt AMAZING!

ahh ok.  I didn't think it was Carrie Fisher with makeup, I thought it was a look-alike actress with Make up.  I didn't even think it looked perfect... I feel like a look alike girl with makeup would have been better than their CGI job, though it was pretty damn close!  Honestly though, that CGI is pretty insane because she looked super realistic.

What about Tarkin, was he CGI or an actor?

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: