View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

re: The Prequels are Secretly Brilliant

This guy brings up points I've been saying for years, points I've shared with some of you.  The 10minute mark brings up the best points.  Enjoy :)

I completely agree with this dude's assertion. However, the overarching story itself was never the reason I rate the prequels so much lower than the originals. I rate them lower because of terrible acting, terrible dialogue, terrible character development (except Anakin, despite his terrible acting and dialogue), and terrible storytelling (not the same as terrible story).

Tastierkakes
Tastierkakes
Officer

Yep, agree with Iceroid.  Add in excessive CGI that was distracting rather than being exhilarating on top of the completely awful dialogue and terrible acting.  Plus, friggin' Jar Jar.  

The central overarching plot of the prequels wasn't bad at all, but the execution of that plot in those prequels was tragically poor.   

Blasthardcheese
Blast Hardcheese
Member - 4 Years

Not all of the CGI is bad. Some was terrible (like the creatures Anakin played with on Naboo in Ep II). It's not good compared to now. The clones are excellent looking I think. That applies to all special effects.

However, there is definitely no reason to splatter it all over, especially in Star Wars. I will agree on that point. I blame Spielberg for that.

I definitely enjoyed the video. Definitely made me look at Windu differently and made Anakin's "the Jedi are evil" line make even more sense.

Since Raptr was installed.
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Yeah.  I agree with all things said to a point.  I personally really like Ep2 and 3 very much.  I like most of Ep3 more than I like Ep6 except for the last 20-30 minutes of 6. 

I also want to add my belief that Yoda realized his hypocracy at a certain point, which is why he also decided to go into exile instead of hiding, and continuing to try to fight Palpatine when he wasn't expecting it (now THAT would make for an interesting fan fiction... Yoda the assassin goes after Palpatine in his sleep).

I think Yoda, who told Anakin "train yourself to let go over everything you fear to lose", and less than 60 minutes of movie-time later (and probably just a few days later?) is reeling in pain over the death of those he loved... obviously that isn't a complete statement that Yoda is a hypocrite, I get that emotions are impossible to control, but I think Yoda would have maybe had time to reflect on some of the challenges of what he and the Jedi are asking of their students.  To try to fight all emotion is probably not the right course of action.  Controlling the emotions to serve you is probably far better, which is what I think Luke epitomizes and what I hope... (book spoiler) we learn is what he teaches his students in this new trilogy SPOILER: (like he did in the books)

Awarded:

I still think the prophesy was misunderstood by the Jedi, maybe because they were arrogant.  When Anakin began the Jedi purge the galaxy was leaning way towards the light side.  After the purge he basically had 2 sith (Palpatine and Vader) and 2 jedi left (Yoda and Obi-Wan), looks balanced to me.  I've always thought this since EP1 when they reveal the prophesy.

I liked the premise of this video, Mace does seem to walk a fine line between light and dark.  I'm pretty sure in the old EU I read that his fighting style, or a fighting style he specialized in caused other to turn to the dark side, Vaapad I think its called.  It was based on fighting with ferocity and emotion which contradicts the Jedi code.

Seuhae
Officer

Definitely if you look beyond the poor acting and such and concentrate on the actual story you can appreciate the prequels more.  The original trilogy is still way better, but the prequel story is solid and contributes to the full legacy.

Awarded:

PolishRifle wrote:

I still think the prophesy was misunderstood by the Jedi, maybe because they were arrogant.  When Anakin began the Jedi purge the galaxy was leaning way towards the light side.  After the purge he basically had 2 sith (Palpatine and Vader) and 2 jedi left (Yoda and Obi-Wan), looks balanced to me.  I've always thought this since EP1 when they reveal the prophesy.

I always thought this too, but I listened to the Director's commentary for the Ep3 dvd and Lucas straight up says that Anakin brings balance to the force by redeeming himself from the Dark (sort of an inner balance) and destroying the Sith.   I don't know if I love that explanation.  I prefer to think Luke brings balance by showing that a Jedi can be "balanced" by realizing that Love is a powerful tool for a Jedi if controlled.  Something like that.

Jump to: