View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

re: Rogue One Discussion: SPOILERS INSIDE!!!

OH, big question I had.  I wonder why certain things from the trailers were cut:  A. Jyn saying... That's what I do, I rebel or something to that effect, and B. sorry I don't remember his name, the black guy with the beard saying what will you do when they catch you, when they break you

Also, it's so hard to create funny tone in a dark movie.  I actually loved the don't choke on your ambition line.  I mean, Vader in 4-6 did have a bit of an arrogant vibe to him, especially while he choked people.  I was ok with it.

Awarded:

Tarkin was all CGI.  They got him pretty darn close, although he was visible older compared to Episode IV and the real Peter Cushing.

Leia was actually an actor look-alike.  I'll try and find the image and post it here when I find it.  There was a bit of CGI involved, but unlike Tarkin, there was actually an actor there.

I liked the blue flight-suit addition.  It severs as a reminder that the Alliance is a rag tag group of people from all over the galaxy.  There is no set uniform.  Loo at the Phase II Republic pilots over the Battle of Coruscant.  They had blue flight suits too.  It wasn't all that uncommon.

Most of the rebel ships to escape Scarif were small-fighters.  A Hammerhead and a GR-75 definitely got smashed by the nose of the Destroyer though if I remember correctly.  Point is, plenty of X-wings and Y-wings got away, and the Ghost too, I think.

Awarded:

Nwahs wrote:

Also, it's so hard to create funny tone in a dark movie.  I actually loved the don't choke on your ambition line.  I mean, Vader in 4-6 did have a bit of an arrogant vibe to him, especially while he choked people.  I was ok with it.

As did I.  I thought it was perfect and set Krennic in his place.  

I wish they hadn't cut stuff out, but apparently they had changed the ending of the movie several times too.  According to Developers on Battlefront, when they were designing the Scarif DLC, the people at Lucasfilm were constantly changing things as the movie changed.

Like, there was a scene in the trailers with Jyn on the battlefield with the Death Star Plans and an AT-ACT looming above her.  That's not how the movie went at all.

Tarkin was an actor, Guy Henry, who they put Peter Cushing over digitally

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2016/12/17/rogue-one-star-wars-story-moff-tarkin-actor-guy-henry/

Awarded:

The Ghost on Yavin IV

So after seeing it again, I must point out that all of Blue Squadron dies. That's everyone with a blue suit. That explains why there weren't any at the battle of Yavin.

And I can confirm that the mention of Syndulla was a call for Hera. There isn't anyone else there with that last name.

That was Chopper in that scene. I didn't notice the first time, but you can actually hear him buzzing/beeping in the background (I didn't notice that and the regular sounds of the Death Star powering up until I watched it again).

Since Raptr was installed.
Lohgan
Kod1ak
Member - 4 Years

Did anyone catch Chopper from Star Wars Rebels in Rogue one? Also did you hear them announce General Syndulla over the intercom at the Rebel base on Yavin IV? I loved all the easter eggs in the movie.

Also...did anyone notice Red 5 being killed? That was Luke's call sign. That opened up a slot in the Red team for Episode IV.

Awarded:

I feel like  a shitty Star Wars fan.  I never thought twice about Luke having the call sign for Red 5 and apparently all star wars fans are going crazy about that part. 

Awarded:

OHHH the Ghost is the Rebels ship from the show, not a Force Ghost...

As to Tarkin, and Leia I believe, there was an actor and CGI used to make them look like the previous actor. It wasn't perfect but still pretty amazing. It's similar to what they did in the new Planet of the Apes flicks.

I dunno if anyone else mentioned it but K-2SO totally reminded me of HK-47. I totally loved that snarky droid niche. 

It wasn't a perfect movie, but it was such a good movie. I am totally fine if Disney keeps going like this. 

ATownArmy
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

I LOVED the movie. I think one of the few genuine ways to make people feel strong emotions in a movie is to sacrifice characters whom they've built feelings for, because so few movies have the guts to sacrifice star characters. That scene near the end made me feel so many feelings.

As people have said, the Darth Vader 1-liners were unnecessary and I think if they couldn't make Tarkin talking more realistic, just keep him with his back to the screen. Makes him more intimidating and suspicious, but turning to camera when he's not talking so we can see it's him would make the cameo work.

Overall, though: 10/10. Would do again.

I didn't remember it, but Saw Garrera was in Clone Wars, and will be in Rebels in the two part Geonosis episodes  Jan 7th.

Since Raptr was installed.
Kayllek Veran
Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

Blast Hardcheese wrote:

I didn't remember it, but Saw Garrera was in Clone Wars, and will be in Rebels in the two part Geonosis episodes  Jan 7th.

Saw is shown in the 3-part Onderon story line.  He is part of the first group of Freedom fighters trained by the Jedi (origins of the Rebellion against the Empire).  His sister becomes the leader of the Onderon resistance, so he and his group become extremists against the Empire's tyranny. 

I went into it with great skepticism I thought Disney would butcher Star Wars would be a Disney movie with the happy disnified family treatment..  I mean come on they have emporer doing song and dance routines at the parks.  

Boy was I ever wrong and glad I was wrong....

best Star Wars movie since empire.

it totally smashes the prequels and  to me was even better than Force Aawekens.

After Rogue One for me Disney could trash the prequels from cannon and I would be just fine.

the reasons I thought it was better than forces awakens.  The characters to me had more depth even if they were not on the screen very long the time they did have actually mattered.  The characters were not flat because the dialogue was well written unlike Force Awakenss and the prequels.

The proper use of CGI it was done with care and only used where it needed to be.

for once the focus of a Star Wars story was not the Jedi or the force they were background elements and it worked tremendously well.

the cameos and nods to Star Wars rebels the old republic nods of the hammerhead and kyber crystals.

and Finally Vader's dad joke was just awesome some think it out of character but I loved it.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Yes I loved it too :)

Some plot points I found odd... Why did Lyra Erso go back and get herself killed?  Was it just passion?  Passion to try to save your husband (super low odds of that) vs the desire to protect your daughter?  The little hole they were in seemed big enough for two.

Not really a plot hole, but I was a bit sad they didn't talk about the Genosians and the connection to Episode 2

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: