View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iolo'pax
Officer

re: Random Silly Star Wars Conversation

So I am slow. Everyone knows this. But one thing that I really didn't process from Revenge of the Sith was that it forced me to re-evaluate how I perceived the amount of time since Jedi were around in the galaxy.

Watching A New Hope, I always had the feeling the Jedi were long since extinct.

Ancient weapons and Hoakie Religions... Been from one end of this Galaxy to the other... never seen anything that suggested the force. Etc. (Granted these are quotes from Han Solo)

So I honestly felt like Jedi would be like someone from Earth running into a Knight of the Round table. Out of place, out of the time period, nobody would believe I saw one if I told them.

*SPOILER ALERT* REBELS SEASON 2

When Lea meets with Asoka and Kanan, she is at least like 16 years old. I don't know how old she was in a New Hope,  but lets say low 20's. So at MOST we are talking 10 years since Jedi have been seen in the galaxy by both the Republic and the Empire. Meanwhile Sith Inquisitors are readily apparent and pronounced in the galaxy.

*END SPOILERS*

So my question is, was I wrong to infer the perceived extinction of the Jedi? I mean at most we are talking 18-20 years since Luke was born after Order 66. I haven't seen a 1996 Corvette in awhile but for me to call them extinct would be foolish. Even still everyone on Earth would believe me if I told them I found one.

If that is the case doesn't it really reduce the significance of Luke Skywalker (other than offspring of Anakin)? There could be hundreds of Jedi still left out there. I guess I feel like part of that rarity of seeing a Jedi is somehow lost.

Was I wrong to begin with or did anyone else think like me that Jedi were LONG gone?

Awarded:

Hrm... well I guess I didn't have that schema that they were "long gone" because Obi-Wan himself says that that there was a Jedi named Darth Vader turned to evil, meaning he must have been among the other Jedi that are "now but extinct".  For me, it was always just Han Solo being a crummy Smuggler from the nether-regions of the galaxy thinking of the religion as "hokey", probably part of Imperial propoganda to tell everyone the Jedi were never anything special, perhaps?  Or just people in such disbelief, there were once hundreds of Jedi and many amazing tales of their achievements but perhaps in a galaxy that big, run by amazing scientific wonders, it was still hard to believe people could move things with their minds etc.

To your last question in short: Yes. Though you didn't have much to go on. No I did not get that feeling.

People are in awe of the Jedi. Even in TOR, there are many Republic Soldiers that haven't seen a Jedi, and are then awed by what they see. They are things of legend. Even the inquisitors are rarely seen. Vader's power is something that most don't know about. And as Shawn mentioned, Imperial propaganda would have been spread to convince everyone that it's all nonsense. And Han's cynical attitude caused by twenty years of the Empire making life rough for everyone caused him to believe that such idealism only gets a person killed (hence his remark about Obi-Wan training Luke) and believe only in what he could see (hence his remark about the Force).

Your comparison, while understood, doesn't carry the same weight. If you said you saw an Angel or the Christ himself, that would be more like that time period. The rarity would lead to stories and claims, but not everyone would believe you (whether due to perceived or actual evidence to support or disprove the stories and claims).

Does that reduce the significance of Luke? No because he still redeemed his Father who fulfilled the prophecy and destroyed the Sith and brought balance to the Force by undoing the Evil reign of the Sith. The Jedi are all but extinct. If any other than Kanan, Yoda, and Obi-Wan are still alive, there will be only a very few. But it's unlikely there will be any others.

Since Raptr was installed.
Iolo'pax
Officer

OoOOoOoo.. I like that Imperial propaganda angle and the Angel comparison for sure

I was actually having this conversation with a friend, and I completely forgot the line from Yoda from RotJ, " When gone am I, the last of the Jedi you will be.' So that being said, I will strike my earlier feelings about the reduced significance of Luke. I still hopes he gets an 'Ultimate Jedi bada$$ moment' in the upcoming film. Like taking on 3 Sith and wiping them all like they were stormtroopers.

Bringing up Han, I know in The Force Awakens he was made out to be a lousy smuggler, but is that the consensus? I always considered him one of the best up till the movie. Was he always a joke or was the movie portraying him that he is losing his touch in his old age?

I appreciate you indulging me. I saw Force Awakens again so I am in the SW kinda mood.

19 years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, for your timeline.  Even with hundreds of Jedi they would be rare in most of the galaxy.  Han spent a lot of his early years in the Outer Rim (now non-canon stories), but means he was more separated from the core worlds and the politics there.  Jedi are trained force sensitives so while Luke was the last Jedi it still leaves an untold number of force sensitives in the galaxy.  Even during the days of the Jedi they didn't find and train every force sensitive.  These would seem a lot like myths and witch craft in their respective cultures.

Awarded:

And account for how many Jedi there were compared to all the planets in the galaxy. Even if there were thousands of Jedi they'd still be spread among millions of planets. Just BEING a Jedi would keep Luke's importance intact.

And Han was one of the best but he got a little bigheaded sometimes. TFA he is getting old and still a swindler. 

cobra_four_zero
Member - 6 Months

You might not remember that 1996 Corvette if it was discontinued and the government was actively doing everything it could to erase all history of the Corvette and kill anyone who openly spread the corvette message.

Lots of good points here. True that just because the Jedi were hunted down, that the force sensitives wouldn't stop being born. In retrospect, I think I focused too hard on A new Hope and ESB. I mean Jedi have been around for Thousands of years.

So building on that thought, and again I am slow, was Palpatine the Last Sith Lord at the time of Anakin's betrayal (I mean officially)? The Force Awaken obviously we have two new Sith in Kylo and Snoke, so someone had to train Snoke, though considering that Luke is pretty much self-taught as this point, so that can't be ruled out.

*REBELS SEASON TWO and Clone Wars  SPOILERS*

Okay so Maul is still alive obviously. So I guess that would make two. I haven't picked up season 3 yet, but I get the impression that he is running solo and not really a sith lord. But at the time of Revenge of the Sith, we are led to believe he is dead. However if Clone wars are canon, there is also Ventress somewhere out there.  Not that any of this matters. Sith don't seem to ever seem to function together without back stabbing, but it seems like there is a lot of Sith out there.

*END SPOILERS*

I can't stress how enlightening the propaganda angle is to me. It is something I really never considered, but it explains alot. (Maybe that I fell victim to that propaganda too haha!)

All of this really entered my brain as a fear that all of a sudden Jedi were gonna be crawling out of the woodwork. I get the sense that in Rogue One there is going to be an 'almost jedi' who is only missing a light saber. So I had been harboring some inner resentment that they were becoming too common. I have hold hope that Rouge One introduces an exciting story can be told with force users only being minor mentions. I mean I actually don't want to see a lightsaber fight in it, unless it is like Vader vs blaster rifles  or something.

If there is light then there is dark.  Snoke and the Knights of Ren being a thing in the 30 years between RotJ and TFW is indicative that there were likely Sith/Dark types elsewhere in the galaxy even during the time of Palpatine and Vader.  Obviously, the animated series brought back Maul which makes that even more plausible throughout the original time period as well.

I have an answer about Rogue One that might ease your mind or take you down another path, but I feel that might be a bit of a spoiler with the movie not out yet.

Also since Vader hunted down any remaining jedi it leaves the empires 20 yrs to destroy any traces of the jedi order it would have been like it was just a myth to the new generation.

cobra_four_zero
Member - 6 Months

I'm pretty sure JJ Abrams/someone else from Disney said that Snoke is not Sith.  They are just new dark side users.

No new raids are coming any time soon.

Dev team member said at a conference. We do not have the time because they want us to make minny movies.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: