View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zojen

re: RSS: A way to keep track of forum posts

Good afternoon,

This might be old news for some people, but its actually a very useful feature of web browsers today often forgotten. It's called RSS feed and it basically removes the need to manually check the website for new content, in this case Forum Posts. Instead, the browser constantly monitors the site and informs of any updates.

This helps a lot for keeping track of the latest forum posts, as it shows more than the limited 5 posts from the website and it's very easy to setup.

I'll try to give some basic instructions for Firefox, but it should work pretty similar on all browsers:

1. First of all, what you are looking for is the orange icon behind the shout box.

rssicon

2. A new page will open with subscribe options. Choose Live Bookmarks and the button Subscribe Now.

3. It will then ask you where would you like to see this new RSS Feed, for this example I'll choose the Bookmarks Toolbar.

4. The new feed will now appear on the toolbar with the latest forum posts:

* You can also just add it to the bookmarks and access it through it if you don't happen to use the Bookmark Toolbar:

This is very useful for any sites that you wish to be updated in a easy way without having to refresh or go directly to the site to check for updates.

Hope someone finds this useful! Ask me any questions, I'll be glad to help.

Cheers,

Zoj.

Edit: Sorry for the random images, I used my own Pax screenshots but had trouble posting them on the thread.

Awarded:

Wow, so I won't lie I didn't know about this.  I have heard of RSS feeds before but they might as well have been witchcraft.  I'll give this a try!  Considering I have been browsing these forums for over 5 years, and have done it the same way to ensure I read every single post for those 5 years, I will probably be like an old dog learning a new trick, but I'm going to give it a try!

Awarded:

Except...

When I clicked the RSS icon, all I got was this error (in Chrome):

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

Jump to: