View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sticx45

re: Operation group sizes fluid at the moment

Quote:
Is there a size limit for guild vs. guild, could you theoretically be in a party of, a couple hundred if you have a big guild against a couple hundred, if you're all in parties?

Gabe Amatangelo: No. Right now, it is the Operations group limit which is going to be 24. We're going back and forth on that, but it's 24 right now.

Did I hear you say Operations can be 24?

Operation groups can be 24, but it's 16 in the larger mode of the Operation content, if you follow what I'm saying.

So you're not talking about like Eternity Vault?

The content is 8 and 16.

Soooo the 8 and 16 group sizes may not be what we end up with after all. As in there may be further raids that allow a 24 slot group.
Taburz

Misinterpretation for the context of the comment. Operation groups and the number of players allowed in the operation are separate issues. This has been confused in the past. The operation size will still be 8 or 16. Let me try to explain this with two examples, first WoW then WAR.

In WoW you have raids and to go into a raid you form raid groups. You can form a raid group that exceeds both the 10 and 25 man limitations but exceeding the number limit does not allow you to take more in.

In WAR, which is what this question and quote is really getting at, you formed warbands to take into RvR lakes. This is what he is referring to as the question refers to large open combat between guilds. The question basically reads "In these large fights how many people can I have in a group?" Better answer "We are calling these "groups" operation groups and the limit is 24".

The question refers to PvP and many people are trying to put it into a PvE context. He later goes on to assure the groups sizes for the operation as 8 and 16.

Tl;dr Operation groups and operations are not the same. One is a size limit for how many can be grouped the other is an entrance limitation.
Tobinius

Thanks Taburz, I found that all kind of confusing from the article posted on another thread. It makes much more sense now.

Cheers

Awarded:

Are you sure Taburz? Why would he say "Operations" (in capital letters, especially) when that is Bioware's specific term for raids?

What I think he is saying is more along the lines of what you were talking about with WoW. Lotro had this too. You can form a "Operation Group" (i.e. a raid) of up to 24 people, but only 16 can enter the specific Operation. everyone else is locked out. You would want to do this for organizational and communication purposes. A single leader could organize both raids, mixing up classes, giving tactics and instructions, etc, and then split off into the two different raid groups.

I am 100% sure. Again the comment was purely contextual. While saying it is for organizational purposes may be true that is not what he was talking about. The question and answer was solely related to PvP and group sizes. Again notice the use of the word "group". Here is another example if we go the WoW route. If you form a "group" of more than 5 people people it is a "raid group". Now this group is not for raiding, rather it is a group size denoting that group may contain more than 5 people. When you enter a battleground you are placed in a raid group, when you enter Tol Barad/Wintergrasp you are placed in a raid group, when you queue for rated battlegrounds you queue from a raid group. These are all circumstances where a raid group (insert operation group) is used for PvP not PvE. In WoW a raid is the instance and a raid group denotes purely potential party size. The same can be said here. An operation is the instance and an operation group denotes party size.

A similar circumstance happened in the past when a dev made a comment and used the term "warzone" when he was talking about Ilum leading everyone to say that Ilum was now instanced based. This old comment was used in reference to a PvP zone (not instanced) and the comment here was purely contextual referring to a PvP environment. The other quote in the Q&A clears up all the confusion as clearly the person interviewing was also confused, but again the comment was purely PvP related and the use of the word group shows he most likely intended to say what he said.

Quote:
Did I hear you say Operations can be 24?

Operation groups can be 24, but it's 16 in the larger mode of the Operation content, if you follow what I'm saying.

So you're not talking about like Eternity Vault?

The content is 8 and 16.

Again note the purposeful use of the word "group". I hope I have clarified this some more but if all this has still not convinced you then I shall part with this:

Quote:
Operation (raid) group size is 24 players. (Note: PvE Operation instanced content is designed for 8 or 16, but the group itself can have 24 people in it.)

http://www.askajedi.com/2011/11/08/fan-site-summit-ilum-open-world-pvp-detailed/
Tobinius

Nwahs Nirom wrote:
... A single leader could organize both raids, mixing up classes, giving tactics and instructions, etc, and then split off into the two different raid groups.

I could see this if the maximum size was set to 32 to allow for a 16:16 split, but 24 seems like a weird number for this (16:8?).

Cheers

Awarded:

Wow lol... I swear I'm actually really good at math, but I didn't think that one out too well :P

Is this like in WoW where a raid group could hold 50 but the biggest raid allowed only 25? so in swtor the operation group can hold 24 but the biggest raid allows 16?

Pax Eternus wrote:
Is this like in WoW where a raid group could hold 50 but the biggest raid allowed only 25? so in swtor the operation group can hold 24 but the biggest raid allows 16?

Yes but a raid group is not limited to doing raids. Just as on operation group is not limited to operations. It will be the platform through which we PvP on Ilum in larger groups.
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Taburz wrote:
Pax Eternus wrote:

Yes but a raid group is not limited to doing raids. Just as on operation group is not limited to operations. It will be the platform through which we PvP on Ilum in larger groups.

Bingo

Nwahs Nirom wrote:
Taburz wrote:
Pax Eternus wrote:

Bingo

Scrabble! Enough games, where's my beta invite!

Pax Eternus wrote:

Actually biggest raids from WoW were 40 peeps large Happy ahhh good old days :D

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: