View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legendkiller456

re: Friday Update 10/14/11

Today's update is the new game trailer, Signs of War. Enjoy!

Link: http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/signs-war

(Also, I know this has already been posted in another thread, but here it is without having to go through each one of those updates to find it :P )

Andokun

its getting closer and closer!!!

i cant wait

this is going to be the best game EVER!!!

Loving the rallying call for the Republic, but has anyone noticed that there hasn't been a real effort to make the Imperials seem misunderstood rather than outright evil? In most MMOs, it seems that while there may be a "dark" faction, their behavior can be viewed as justifiable with a little empathy. All of the marketing for ToR has presented a terrible force standing in the way of the peaceful Republic. This is fine by me from a game perspective, but I wonder if this dynamic will funnel more casual players into the Republic as people perusing a game are more likely to play it from a moral high ground (generally true in most rpgs). All of that psycho babble to say I hope a PUG on our server isn't full of people who don't know how to play.

Arkos Ladar wrote:
Loving the rallying call for the Republic, but has anyone noticed that there hasn't been a real effort to make the Imperials seem misunderstood rather than outright evil? In most MMOs, it seems that while there may be a "dark" faction, their behavior can be viewed as justifiable with a little empathy. All of the marketing for ToR has presented a terrible force standing in the way of the peaceful Republic. This is fine by me from a game perspective, but I wonder if this dynamic will funnel more casual players into the Republic as people perusing a game are more likely to play it from a moral high ground (generally true in most rpgs). All of that psycho babble to say I hope a PUG on our server isn't full of people who don't know how to play.

I expect there to be a lot more immature players on the Sith side, kinda like there was a lot of kids playing Horde in WoW. I've always thought that most players take the moral low ground and by presenting the Empire as purely evil, it will attract more non-serious players to them. Since I don't know about the in game storyline of the Sith yet, I'm not so sure they are going to present them as misunderstood. Maybe they want them to just be evil.

Awarded:

I'm surprised by this. After reading "Fatal Alliance", I was pretty sure they would present the Sith side of things a little differently. One of the protagonists of that book is a Light Side Imperial Agent.

Kirrex wrote:
I expect there to be a lot more immature players on the Sith side, kinda like there was a lot of kids playing Horde in WoW.

While it's true that the horde side had more kids, in WoW neither faction was the ultimately good or evil. Just puttin' that out there.
But I think I agree with Nwahs here. I think that while they'll do it that the Republic leans to the light side more and the Sith to the dark side more, they'll both have plenty of the opposite.

EDIT: Also I disagree with the statement that the narrator speaks at the end. "The galaxy's future shall soon be decided."
It's already been decided. The Republic triumphed over the Empire once. And we shall do so again! Happy

The supreme art of war is to subdue your enemy without fighting.
Foriamlord

Was anyone else a little disappointed by the video?

I mean it was pretty cool but BW has considerably raised my expectations with their last three trailers lol.

Awarded:

Foriamlord wrote:
Was anyone else a little disappointed by the video?

I mean it was pretty cool but BW has considerably raised my expectations with their last three trailers lol.

I mean, you're sort of asking two different questions young Padawan :P Was I disappointed? Not at all. Was it as good as the other trailers? No. But this was an awesome trailer for game footage, revealing character models of important people we need to know in-universe, and it was pretty exciting.

There was a lot more game footage in this one as opposed to cinematic, prerendered movies. While the visual quality is lower, I enjoyed watching this one even more simply because it shows the game we'll be playing instead of just an intro movie.

Photobucket
Pinoyfury

cant believe i missed this

Photobucket
AstralProjection

Arkos Ladar wrote:

You raise an interesting point, Arkos. Even though the marketing media has shown the Sith to be pretty evil, well, they are the Sith! They're probably one of the most depraved and pure evil nemeses you can go up against in modern fiction. While all the rank and file soldiers might not be that way, a normal Sith acolyte is supposed to be as black-hearted as they come, and celebrate slaughter and destruction.

That being said, in game I've already run across quite a few cases where the Sith are portrayed as being very human, not to give out any spoilers, and they aren't always shown to be bloodthirsty monsters. They did a good job of giving you the option to be less evil, even if it's not all that realistic in the grand scheme of things, just like they did in giving Republic players chances to be evil.

Just like the movies - good Jedi can sense the light inside even very evil enemies, and vice versa. Jedi are still like dark ages Christians, constantly being tempted by evil in its many forms, and having their faith tested.

Casual players do seem to tend toward the Republic, but I don't think you're ever going to change that fact. You see the same trend in most of these games. The answer, of course, is to queue up with your friends in the guild, who will be of much higher quality than the randomness you'll experience in a PUG. Teamwork and healing will usually win you the day, in the absence of a huge gear deficit.

I really hope this weeks update is a timeline video. I really miss those.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: