Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> RP and Character Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raimon Kiom

re: Raimon Kiom, Accidental Rescue (Rewritten, and Reloaded)

Click. Click. Click.

The prayer beads move through my left hand on their own, in their practiced meditation. The service tag I had tied to them makes its slow trek around my neck, as my right hand swung slowly as I walked.

Every freight Captain worth their weight says they've been there and done that. You name it they'll claim to have done it. Maybe have a story or two. I've got stories, scars and the service tags to prove it. Three tours in the Corellian Colonial Militia, and I did the one thing I swore I'd never do again...I got back into space. Guess Dad was right...

I was born there...space I mean. Both my parents ran freight. Not sure how legit it was. I was a kid, after all. But when a few jobs went bad, I got shipped to my Uncle in Corellia, and I never saw or heard from them again.

A childhood spent in space teaches you a few things, the most prominent of which is survival and self-dependance. I took that with me into the service. When your Sergeant is bleeding out and your medic got blasted into a smear on the ground days ago, you become a medic as fast as you can. Human, Twi'lek, hell, a Wookie ... doesn't matter anymore. You're just souls trying to survive to get that paycheck and get off that rock. You don't even remember why you're trying to kill the enemy anymore. Enemy becomes a grey area. So does your job. I think I did just as many stealth infiltrations as I did patch jobs under fire. You just did what you had to.

My boots clicked a steady rhythm on the sidewalk and I practiced making that sound lessen to complete silence then return without breaking stride. Stealth belts don't stop sound, after all. You stay sharp or you get dead. Quick.

Then I heard the crying scream of a woman running towards me. A quick scan with my eyes, and I saw the issue. Couple human men chasing a Twi'lek woman down the sidewalk. Pretty thing with light coloring, and black lekku markings. The light glimmer of a slave collar reflected the bright colors of the Nar Shadda streets.

Slavers. I made my steps go quiet and looked straight ahead as they caught her, after all it's not my business. I ignored their yelling as they pushed her against the wall. For all I know she tried to murder someone back there, hey I might be mad too. Two sides to every story. Ride the storm rather than defeat it, as the saying goes. I kept walking.

Now I know what you're thinking, Rai, that's your kind getting yelled it. You should be doing something, what kind of Twi'lek are you? Look, friend, I'm a spacer. Born there. Outside of the 5 years I spent on Corellia, I've been in the black my whole life. Never even seen the homeworld outside of holos. And as for the slavery issue, there are a lot of Twi'lek slaves, and some of them, I'm sure lead full, normal, happy lives. Happy as the next guy anyway.

That being said, I don't know these guys from a Hutt so I'm walking. That's right, just keep on walking. Your ship should be tuned up and ready to fly. Ah, the Persephone's Tear, a jewel of a ship. Probably sitting in the hanger right now, just itching to take to the black. The two men start yelling louder. Sith spit, I'll bet there's even a few jobs posted...might even make some more credits this run. The big one starts slapping her. Hey, she's property. Would you be upset if someone kicked their droid down the stairs? Now she's on her hands and knees, and one of them is moving his leg back to kick her ribs. Where was I? Would I be mad at someone for kicking a droid? No, of course not, you'd just recommend a good repair shop.

Wait.

Why is my slugthrower in my hand? Oh, great...

The first shot throws the man about to kick into the wall. He bounces off the duracrete, leaving a red smear as he collapses to the sidewalk with a wet thud. I didn't need combat medic training to know he was dead as Zed. His friend turned towards me too surprised to even draw his blaster, his mouth agape. I fired again splitting his head open like an overripe melon left in the Tatooine sun. Dead man can't talk. I walked, noisily now up to her, offering her my left hand, letting go of my prayer beads for the first time.

"You'll want to get out of here. Now," I said, switching to Ryl, the native language of the Twi'lek. She looked up at me blankly, her expression a mixture of gratitude, fear, and surprise. She'd never seen death. Innocence lost. Then her expression changed to confusion at my words...

Enslaved before she was old enough to learn our language. I hissed through my teeth, recognizing now the anger that started slowly brewing since I heard her cries moments ago. I switched to Basic and repeated myself. She took my hand and stood, her voice shy and quiet.
"Can you help me?"

Sith Spit. This is just not my day. I won't get to come back to Nar Shadda for years, possibly ever. Oh well. Lots of freight to run on the Outer Rim. I lifted a communicator to my lips. "T7, warm her up. I'll be along shortly." I didn't wait for an acknowledgement from the droid. I quickly shoved the bodies onto the nearby moving sidewalk, thankfully operational, after relieving them of their ID's, cred sticks, and weapons, handing the woman a blaster, and slipping the other one in my belt.

"I'm Raimon Kiom."

"Sel'este," she answered. I paused. Her name meant Fortune in Ryl. I chuckled at the irony as we began quickly walking on the moving sidewalk, moving in the opposite direction as the bodies. Goddess may we have a little fortune of our own.

My left hand found my prayer beads. "Little help is all I'm askin'..."

Last edited by Raimon Kiom on July 27, 2011 3:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Raimon Kiom

Couldn't sleep so I wrote. Didn't proof. Find any errors, send me a PM and I'll fix it. Hope you enjoy it. Been in my head for about a month.
Gryffon Etheras
travisccook
Tech Officer

Awarded:

Good read, thanks for posting!

niakori

Wow, great intro Jeremy! I couldn't help but read the whole thing using Steve Blume's Spike voice. Can't wait for the rest :D

That was a good read. Happy Lots of personality.
Aveyn Tamai

Love it!
Raimon Kiom

Ok, Nia, who's this Spike?

Jump to: