Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> RP and Character Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Captain Bubbles

re: Bubbles & Rocks, a tale of two worlds

Bubbles made her way to the cockpit and let herself drop in the captain’s seat. She eyed the instrument panels and immediately felt disappointment and a hint of panic; red lights were still flashing in the engine panels, indicating that the fuel line wasn’t yet repaired. However, she knew it would take the T7 unit some time to fix their problem so she leaned back and tried to relax.

Her thoughts went to her new Zabrak companion. He was probably the most un-jedi like knight she had ever known. She wasn’t really sure if it was a bad thing in and of itself; Bubbles didn’t especially trust jedi. She blamed them for what happened on Shili: her village’s destruction, her real family’s death, which she could barely even remember since she had been so young. And the jedi had taken her away from all that and abandoned her the moment they knew she didn’t share their gift with the Force.

“Self-righteous, self-serving, know-it-all, better than everyone else, hypocritical fools,” she thought angrily. Yeah, it was probably a good thing that Rocks didn’t fit the profile. Although… some of his un-jedi like comments and side glances had made her feel extremely uncomfortable. She wasn’t even sure why. Bubbles was a natural at flirting and manipulating and she felt she should be more at ease with Rocks. But she wasn’t. She had heard about how the Force could be used to manipulate the mind and she had no intention of showing any exploitable weaknesses, especially not before she got paid.

Her thoughts were interrupted when the red lights finally stopped blinking. She smiled, feeling relieved. She got to her feet and quickly headed towards the airlock, to let Rocks know the repairs had been a success.

The Zabrak was helping the T7 unit back inside the ship and Bubbles felt truly thankful for the astrodroid’s help. She knelt, patted it and whispered softly: “You saved our lives, little buddy. You deserve an oil bath when we get to Tython, courtesy of the jedi. What do you say?” The droid replied with a series of noises, while happily swiveling from left to right.

“Feel free to volunteer your time gorgeous, but as soon as we touch down on Tython, I need to report to the council.” The droid stopped his dance and emitted a low click before turning his back to the jedi. Bubbles stood up and crossed her arms on her chest, moving her head sideways, clearly displeased. “Typical jedi behavior. I was wrong about you. Just make sure I get my credits,” she spat his way. She knew she shouldn’t be so mad, but it seemed the Zabrak wasn’t aware that he owed his life to both herself and the droid.

She headed back for the cockpit, to input their coordinates and destination into the hyperdrive. She usually enjoyed space travel: the long periods of time spent in solitude, lost in thought. But this time, she wanted to quickly get to Tython, get paid and get rid of her passenger.

When the hypderdrive was safely engaged, she headed for her quarters. It used to be Dace’s quarters and she still felt like she was somehow intruding, but she knew the feeling would go away in time. After all, it was the captain’s quarters and she was the captain.

She sat at her desk and looked around the holonet for hours, learning as much as she could about combat medicine. She decided some of her next purchases had to be better equipment for her medbay and medical probes filled with kolto. And definitely more books and training. No one would ever die on her watch again, she would make sure of that.

Suddenly, she heard the proximity alarm and realized she had fallen asleep. Her jaw was sore from being pressed against the cold hard desk but she didn’t have time to complain. She dashed to the cockpit and was happy to see Tython in the viewport, green and blue and beautiful. “Oh good, we’re here,” Rocks’ voice came from behind her, startling Bubbles. “Let me take the controls, I want to make a smooth landing at the spaceport, not in the middle of the council chambers.”

She couldn’t believe his nerves. And the worst part was, he was serious. He really thought he was a better pilot than she was. “I don’t think so, Rocks,” she said coldly. “I only trust good pilots with my ship,” she smiled sarcastically and just when he was about to protest, she added: “Good pilot’s ships don’t get blown up. What happened to your ship again?” He was quiet. “Yeah, that’s what I thought.”

She talked back and forth with planet authorities and was granted a berth, which she landed in flawlessly, of course. She walked to the boarding ramp, lowered it, and stepped out with Rocks. “I’m coming with you or I’ll never get paid for saving your sorry ass.”

Before you criticize someone, try to put yourself on their ship and fly around a while. That way, when you criticize them, you're a few parsecs away and you have their ship.
IgotRocks

re: Bubbles & Rocks, a tale of two worlds

Rock’s slid down into the seat next to the smuggler captain and sulked, “Not my fault the damn Sith blew up my ship, can still fly circles around you with my eyes closed,” he thought to himself.

He listened as Bubbles chatted back and forth with the planet authorities until being granted a berth. Watching her come in to the berth was all he could do to not reach out and wrestle the controls away from her. She wasn’t doing a bad job but she wasn’t doing it the way he would do it. Stomach clenching, they closed the last few meters to the ground and made a very gentle landing.

“Maybe I should have kept my mouth closed,” he thought as he unclipped his harness and walked to the boarding ramp. The attractive Togruta walked along with him and hit the switch to lower the boarding ramp.

Stepping out of the ship and into the bright sunlight of Tython she said, “I’m coming with your or I’ll never get paid for saving your sorry ass.”

Rocks wanted to overrule her and request that she stay in her ship until he could speak with the council, but one look at her face let him know that she had made up her mind. And he knew better than to argue with a woman who had made up her mind.

“Fine, you can come along, but don’t get sticky fingers in the temple and let me do the talking,” Rocks said spitefully, his feelings still hurt from her remarks about his former ship. Bubbles’ headtails gave another angry series of snaps and jerks and the Jedi knew he was in for another verbal beating. He couldn’t help wondering if it was possible for a togruta to sprain a headtail.

“Got it, I won’t do anything stupid without your supervision,” Bubbles retorted, a blank look on her face but a twinkle in her eyes.

Rocks gave her his most intimidating zabrak stare, but it seemed to bounce off of her like a blaster bolt off of a portable cover generator. Adding a scowl to his stare, the young Jedi spun on his heel and set out at a brisk pace across the landing field towards the port authority building. Noticing that Bubbles was having difficulty keeping up, he lengthened his stride until she was jogging to keep up. It was petty, and he knew it, but he felt like he still owed her one for her comments about his ship and having to save him.

As they moved down the tree lined streets towards the Jedi Temple, Rocks felt the stress and apprehension melt away. He might get in trouble, but that had happened before. “It’s good to be home,” he thought as he passed more familiar landmarks, new buildings built on top of the ruins of previous settlements.

Turning the corner onto the main street that lead to the temple, Rocks looked behind him and noticed Bubbles stopped midway through the last block staring at a store’s large open display case. Walking back to stand next to her, he lifted his hand to shade his eyes and looked at what had caught her eye. The shop was a medical supply store full of med packs, surgery droids and bacta tanks. Reaching down, the zabrak captured her hand in his and started to pull her after him. “Shop on your own time woman, we don’t have all day!”

Rocks only made it three steps before Bubbles seemed to awaken from her trance and snatched her hand back with surprising force. “I don’t need a babysitter, grandpa,” was the smuggler captain’s reply. She folded her arms across her chest and motioned with her head for him to continue.

A few more minutes walking and a brief discussion with the guards at the Temple’s entrance saw them striding along the large echoing corridors to the council chambers. Rocks saw many familiar faces and gave each a brief nod without slowing his pace. The Masters would have been notified of his arrival and would expect him to report quickly. Hopefully, the port authority hadn’t sent a message ahead about him arriving in a different ship than the one he left in.

Arriving at the immense doors to the council chambers, they opened before he could raise a hand to press the mechanism that operated them. Stepping inside, Rocks was confronted by the whole council standing at attention and facing the door.

Gandmaster Satele Shan greeted him formally, “Welcome home IgotRocks, I sense you have much to report, not the least of which is why you return to us in a different ship and with this Togruta at your side.” Moving her eyes to Bubbles she spoke in a tone that left no room for negotiating, “You will have a seat outside while we debrief your friend and then we will speak with you miss.”

The lithe Togruta gave a fierce scowl and spat, “He is not my friend,” before storming outside the doors.

The Grandmaster then directed her full attention to Rocks, “Come here Rocks, we have much to talk about. . . . . “

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: