Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> RP and Character Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Damek Critou

re: The Putrescent Hutt Cantina

~The dark street was filled with people, people who were always on the move, much as the Smuggler's Moon never slept. Nar Shaddaa was never regarded as the nicest place to be, but it had a myriad of uses. The Hutt trading always provided a sense of employment for everyone. On this dark street was a dark corner, which had a door. Above the door, was a faded sign reading "The Putrescent Hutt." It wasn't even a lighted sign, giving all who saw it their first, and accurate, impression of a pretty shady establishment. The owner, a Hutt himself, was not one for glitz, but he ran a pretty large business empire as well. One cantina was unnoticeable against the kind of economic warfare that was waged daily on the small city-moon. The cantina itself, however, found itself always acquiring a very certain group of clients, due to its one unique feature: some private hangars.

The cantina was moderately small, with only a five person bar counter and seating for around twenty others spaced around the room. But what it lacked in comfort it made up for in intrigue. The entire center of the building was dedicated to a more revealing group of Twi'leks, most probably slaves of the owner. Most of the seating, unsurprisingly, was spaced around this area, but one or two tables were recessed into alcoves in the back wall, separated by the doorway to the "docks." The food that was served would probably kill if anyone had the lack of intelligence to eat it, but the drink was excellent. Despite its drawbacks, the place was perfect for a little relaxing from the hustle and bustle (and law) of the galaxy.~

Markis. D Thatch

Thatch walked along the streets of Nar Shaddaa keeping his hood up and his collar high. He sported a massive duffel bag over his left shoulder and strode swiftly to the Putrescent Hutt. He stepped into the dingy little bar and surveyed the room. He eyed the Twi'lek dancers as he stepped to the bartender and smirked to himself before placing his hand on the counter. "Need a glass, a bottle of Vasarian Brandy...and a deck of Sabacc cards if you got em..." As he said this he flicked his wrist under his sleeve, brought his fingers to brush his palm and produced several golden coins.

Pax Eternus

"Make it two glasses," interjected a voice from the man seated next to Thatch at the bar, "And this one's on me". As he finished speaking he produced several credit chips from a side compartment on his belt and replaced the gold coins. He held the yellowy metal up to the dim light from behind the bar. "Interesting choice of payment." It wasn't really a question so much as an invitation for an explanation.

Thatch saw the credit chips fly onto the counter and one of his gold coins taken by the man. He smirked and retracted his arm from the counter taking the remaining coins with it. " You must be a rookie...", Thatch hefted his duffelbag higher on his shoulder and cast his green eyes to the adjacent man at the bar. "New to the grand world of pirates and smugglers?" His right hand pulled his hood off of his head and then folded down his collar letting his face emerge.

Pax Eternus

"Who said anything about me being either of those things? I'm just a simple businessman looking for 'opportunities'. A man comes into a bar on Nar Shaddaa and pays in gold instead of credits and that makes him interesting to me. Interesting means trouble, and trouble means looking for help, and looking for help means an opportunity for me. So I tell myself 'maybe a drink or two will lead to his sharing something interesting.' Now, if I'm mistaken, which I don't make the habit of being, and you don't have anything interesting at all, whatever, going on, then, by all means, I'll be happy to just share a drink while I wait for someone truly interesting to come in."
Here the stranger set the glasses, one each, before Thatch and himself. Then he poured the copper coloured brandy, first Thatch's and then his own. Setting the bottle down, he lifted his own glass to his lips and knocked it back in one smooth motion. He looked up expectantly at Thatch and after a moment of consideration the same motion was repeated by the self-professed pirate and smuggler. The stranger smiled, "Name's Zeeto" he said as he took up the bottle to pour another round, "And I'm all ears."

Last edited by Pax Eternus on June 6, 2011 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thatch smirked as he downed his glass, enjoying the smoothness of his favorite drink. He set the glass back down and pulled one of the coins back from his pocket. "Hmmm....for a businessmen you don't know your currencies...". Thatch slid his glass to Zeeto then flipped the gold coin in his fingers. "Peggats and Truguts are the currency of choice in our line of business. " Thatch held the coin up to his eyes and stared into the golden luster. " Credits change in value so often...but the base value of gold...that hardly ever changes...you get small fluxes here and there but...gold...is always valuable... " Thatch let a half smile creep across his face and he pocketed the coin. " So I say again...New to the world of smugglers and pirates? " Thatch took the Sabacc cards out of their holder and began to shuffle them. "Names Thatch by the way..."

Crox Rava

Across the room an audible sigh could be heard. A blue-skinned Nautolan gazed at the pair of pirates, his clear eyelids clapping rapidly in exasperation. His black eyes returned to the amber-hued Twi'lek woman writhing on the stage whose eyes were fixed on him in turn.

Apologies. The scent of human posturing can be a little overwhelming.
The blue man's foremost head-tendrils flicked and swayed almost imperceptibly as the dancing girl looked on in understanding.
You are sure you have everything you need? We have time yet. I could visit the bazaar...

No.
The Twi'lek slave flicked the tip of one head-tail.
It must be tomorrow night. Shay'lin has...
Her eyes tightened. Her head-tails ceased to speak and began to weep softly as she whirled about the stage. Her sorrow filled the Nautolan's senses. His eyes swirled with crimson as he raised a glass to his lips. The Hutt would pay...

He composed himself. He leaned back in his chair as if merely watching the show and waited for his employer to face him again.
Just the one passenger, then. That will be easier, in any case.
The dancing woman's head-tails nodded morosely. The blue man made the slightest frown as a dark thought passed through his mind.
Shan'in... will Shay'lin betray you?
She danced. Her eyes fell away from him. Her head-tails were silent for several measures.
It must be tomorrow night... she repeated finally. The music ended. Shan'in bowed with a great flourish before slinking away through the stage door, her head-tails blowing a silent kiss to the Nautolan.

Two of Crox's hearts skipped and his cheeks flushed violet. He shook his head and swore under his breath as he drained his glass. He raised his empty cup in the direction of the bar.
"Another!"

Last edited by Crox Rava on June 14, 2011 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Photobucket
Pax Eternus

Zeeto was starting to get nervous. He had been trying to make conversation with the hooded smuggler at the bar, but after his slip up with the matter of preferred payments, he was starting to think that the situation was becoming drastically unsalvagable. An alien voice calling for another round broke him from his trance.

'Concentrate, Zeeto,' he thought, 'you need this'. After receiving an honorable discharge from the Republic military for injuries sustained during the fighting on Alderaan, Zeeto had opted for a new line of work as a smuggler. His military training had prompted him to first get the gear and prep to get the edge in his new line of work and that had meant expensive cyber implants to his already partly robotized body. The implants were expensive, and he had taken a Hutt loan out to pay for them... any smuggler could have told him that was his first mistake.

His second mistake was that it wasn't exactly easy gaining access to smuggler contacts. Most of the conversations he'd tried to start up would have ended much worse if not for the upgraded speed boost in his draw. It looked as if this one was headed in the same direction.

As Zeeto finished pouring another round, he turned his back to the bar and surveyed the Cantina that called itself the 'Putrescent Hutt'. A yellowish glow coming off the slime on the walls lit most of the recesses of the place. The stench was a mix of sweaty Bothan and Rodesian piss. Most of the Twi'lek dancers could have passed for the living dead. 'At least it lives up to its name' he thought.

Then an idea came to him. There's no way a place like this stayed afloat on the credits from thirsty smugglers. Somewhere in this wretch of a dive there was something going down. Maybe it was spice, maybe it was slave running, maybe it was republic intel, it didn't matter. Whatever it was, this Thatch probably knew, and it was high time Zeeto's investments started paying off. It was time for mistake number three.

"You got me," Zeeto said. "I'm not a smuggler, but I am indeed the humble, aspiring entrepreneur that I claimed to be." Here Zeeto tilted his wide-brimmed hat up with one hand whilst moving back the front of his knee-long trench coat with the other. "And I'm looking for what every business needs, mainly, a little friendly competition." Suddenly, he lifted his voice so that it shouted above the cacophony of the band and filled the room. "HA, HA, HA," Zeeto started roaring in laughter, "Youuuu said it, Thatch, *hiccup* sat dere's exaxtly what dem shings are, dhem aliens are nuddin but the uuuniverse's way'a makin use of the leftovers!"

Last edited by Pax Eternus on June 7, 2011 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

Crox's jaw dropped in amazement at the human's outburst. In a Hutt operated bar, no less!

Crox shook off his astonishment and his eyes narrowed in concentration as he soaked in the reaction from the bar's more colorful patrons. The Bith in the far corner shrank sullenly against the wall, a filthy mug clutched too tightly in his moist hands. The dancer who had taken Shan-in's spot on the stage smirked at the man as her brain tails spelled an epithet Crox had never seen, though its intent was obvious. The two Rodians a table further from the stage began jabbering to each other in their odd tongue, and the uglier of the pair had begun to tap a sucker-tipped finger on the blaster under his arm.

This was shaping up to become a less than desirable situation, never mind the horrible timing. Assuming Crox survived any trouble that came of this nonsense, security would surely be increased (or at least more sober) the following night. If that blasted Gamorean was ordered to forgo his usual nightcap it might prove impossible to slip Shan-in past him without blasters coming into play. "Only one thing to do..."

Crox rose from his seat and made his way toward the two humans at the bar. "On second thought, let's have another bottle for my and my new friends." Crox shot a glance at the hot-headed Rodian that sent the grumpy fellow's attention back to his drink. Satisfied, Crox settled at the bar and introduced himself. "Crox Rava. I'd be happy to try and change your mind about us "leftovers" if you have the time and inclination. Thatch, was it?"

When the man named Thatch looked up from the bar to regard Crox, it became clear that something very strange indeed was going on. Thatch, as it turned out, was himself one of the loud human's "leftovers". Perhaps more drinks were not the answer after all. "I appear to be missing something..."

Last edited by Crox Rava on June 14, 2011 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total

Photobucket
Markis. D Thatch

Thatch shook his head at Zeeto and sighed with a smile. "Good attempt at trying to make me seem prejudice in a bar with few humans and owned by a Hutt. Now you are sounding like a smuggler I can get along with...but...one problem..." Faces Zeeto and traces his Mirialan tattoos. "I would be counted among the..."leftovers" as you put it..." Thatch set his massive duffel bag down with a thud and rested his left arm on the bar. He turned to say something to Zeeto but saw Crox waltz up to his right side. He nodded to Crox, "Yes thats my name...pleasure to meet you Crox..." Thatch turned his head to scan the crowed and noticed one of the Rodians staring at him from over his drink. "As you can see my little rookie here has tried to put me in a bad position with the crowed...though I hope they aren't drunk enough to see i'm not human either..." Faces Crox with a smirk, "The rookie means well...I'm just trying to educate him in our line of work...example...When a loud human smuggler insults an alien smuggler..." In a flash Thatch's left arm retracts from the bar, balls into a fist and slams into Zeeto's cheek. "The quickest punch decides who is the superior..." Nods to Crox, "Agreed?"

Crox Rava

"Ha! I don't know about superiority, but punching your buddy is certainly one way to prevent a blaster hole in the back." Crox smiled for the first time since landing on this miserable rock. The situation could hardly have turned out better. "Our green friends at table seven got a real kick out of that. Well done." And they really had! Crox found the stench of their amusement a great relief, if not terribly pleasant. He shook his head at the poor human and offered a hand to aid him to his feet. "Now about that drink you owe me, kid..."

Last edited by Crox Rava on June 14, 2011 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Photobucket
Pax Eternus

'Well, bantha crap' Zeeto thought 'First this do-gooder calms the place down, then Thatch isn't human, and to top it off that punch seemed to have satisfied the alien patrons' pride, whatever there was of it.'

Crox had by now extended a helping hand and was saying something about Zeeto buying more drinks. Something inside Zeeto snapped. It could have been the adrenaline from the punch or the thought of watering these goons with what credits he had left, but a plan B had formed itself. Zeeto wasn't sure if it was a good plan B, nor did he give himself the time to consider if it was. It was an aggressive move and right now the only advantage he figured he had going for him was that things were so badly in the crapper for him that he had the most to gain from turning the place into a war zone. If a blaster found him, so much the better... at least he wouldn't have to pay off the Hutt or listen to cocky smugglers beat their chests.

Zeeto shuffled his weight forward before reaching out for Crox's extended blue hand, firmly clapped into that hand a smooth rounded ball, and then thumbed the detonator.

Consciously Zeeto dimmed the optical receiver in his biotic eye. The blinding flash that would have overloaded its circuits instead had the effect of a light turning on in a dark room. The other patrons were not as fortunate.

Zeeto had little time to focus on his plan. His previous joking outburst had served two purposes, the first purpose of starting a bar fight with Thatch in the middle of it had failed, but the second purpose had proved fruitful.

At the first sign of trouble a smallish Rodian at a sabaac table across the cantina had made a hasty exit through the kitchen in the back. No doubt he was going to report the commotion to whoever was guarding the real business. And the real business is where Zeeto was headed.

Three seconds had not yet passed from the eruption of the flash grenade as Zeeto sprang to his feet and headed to the back of the cantina. As he ran, he readied another grenade from his utility belt and rolled it on a timer towards the kitchen, his destination. Patrons were just beginning to recover their sight, when two Gamorean guards appeared to block his way.

Zeeto didn't hesitate but continued to run headlong towards their brandished axes. '3..2..1!' Zeeto finished the count in his head as the next flash burst forth. Although its effects would be greatly diminished on the patrons in the bar who had experienced the first blast and had, had time to adjust their eyes, it blinded the overgrown green pigs and allowed him access to the kitchen.

Nothing. The room was empty except for whatever was growing on the floor and out of the sinks. There were no kitchen staff, or any noticeable exits. Although Zeeto had solved the mystery of why the food in this cantina resembled Hutt fungus, he still hadn't found the underground activity. Undoubtedly there was a secret door somewhere, but he wouldn't have time to adjust his biotics and find it before the guards recovered. Only one thought came to his mind like a trained instinct. He pivoted on his left heel, tossed his coat back, drew one of his blaster pistols and let off two shots- one for each of the piggies.

'Now,' Zeeto thought to himself, 'I have time to find that door...or, he added grinning, serve up some green bacon.' Zeeto's grin faded. The realization of the mess he'd gotten himself into began to creep up on him as the adrenaline of the previous moments began to fade. For all he knew the Hutt that ran this place was related to the Hutt that he owed money to, the entire cantina could be coming down on the kitchen, or the whole basement was protected by Rattaki bounter hunters. 'Great,' Zeeto kicked himself, 'There's gonna be a fully staffed kitchen in here unless something changes soon.'

Thatch's eyes were blinded in an instant from the flash grenade. He slapped his palms to his eyes as the glare slowly began to fade but the sounds of people screaming and tables falling over did not diminish. Thatch blinked his eyes over and over as his vision began to refocus. He had just regained partial sight when the second flash grenade detonated only this time Thatch kept his palms over his eyes. Thatch leapt off his bar stool and grabbed the bottle of brandy. He took a full swig then offered the bottle to Crox. "That Rookie has really gone and ticked me off..."

The sound of two more blaster shots reached Thatch's ears and he whipped his head to face the kitchen. The Rodian eyeing him earlier had stood with his blaster and began to fire rapidly in all directions nearly hitting one of the crouching Twi'lek dancers. Thatch dropped to one knee held the bottle in his left hand and drew his modified blaster pistol. He flicked the blaster setting to lower power and squeezed a round off into the Rodian's chest stunning him and sending him to the floor. The Twi'lek dancer looked at Thatch shocked to which he simply smirked and winked. The Twi'lek dancer then moved her head tails in a strange motion. "Crox...I don't know Lekku...mind telling me what she said? "

Crox Rava

"You're an observant one..." Crox muttered, eyelids still clapping from the flash grenade. Then he smirked knowingly at Thatch. "I wasn't looking, but I can tell you she's... grateful. So you know that human? Or did you..." Crox's eyes widened and his head-tendrils twitched. In a flash he turned sideways and drew a blaster from his right hip to fire. He stopped short as he saw the source of the aggression he'd felt directed at him. "Shay'lyn..."

The green-skinned Twi'lek woman glared at him, and Crox knew at once she had been watching his earlier conversation from the wings. Things just kept getting better.

Crox holstered his pistol again and turned back to Thatch. "I'll be frank. I have a job here that concerns that lovely yellow woman who was dancing earlier. Our rash new friend may have pushed up my timetable a bit. I don't suppose you feel like earning a favor from a stranger?"

Last edited by Crox Rava on June 14, 2011 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Photobucket
Markis. D Thatch

Thatch smirked and took a swig from the bottle then again offered it to Crox. "Could always use another friend in the galaxy..." Thatch turned to see the glaring Twi'lek and let out a low whistle. " I think she looks even cuter when she is angery... " Thatch turned back to Crox, " And no for the record...don't know him...but after this...he might be worth a second look...." Thatch set the power on his blaster back to full. "Thats if he makes it out of here in one piece..." Thatch's eyes wandered back to the yellow Twi'lek. " So...she your wife? "

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> RP and Character Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: