View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

re: Gaming lag?

So on my new Internet at this new apartment, I am getting speedtest.net speeds of around 20-30ms ping, and sometimes as low as 3 Mb/s and sometimes as high as 12 Mb/s download speeds.

I am reading online that you need 10-15 Mb/s to play effectively online with less than 50ping.  So I need to get this looked at.  Anyone have tips?  Obviously I try to turn off the wifi access on all my personal devices but we have 3 other people living in this apartment streaming shit.  The landlord currently says he isn't looking to upgrade the Internet since we're "not paid up on rent" which must be my roommates' fault because I paid my share.  I am going to talk to them about it and then if they can't get paid up then I'm going to say look bub, I'm all paid up and I'm willing to pay extra for nice Internet, so don't mess with my quality of life.

Awarded:

Also, is this relevant?

http://i.imgur.com/0ZZCtVh.png

Awarded:

I want to know what that meme on your desktop is..

Awarded:

I would def try using ethernet over wifi. I stopped playing online video games at my parents since I am connected through wifi and their internet blows, so I can only play when I'm at school.

re: Re: Gaming lag?

Nwahs wrote:

I am reading online that you need 10-15 Mb/s to play effectively online...

That is wrong. Dead wrong. So wrong it makes me cry that this information has not died yet.

Playing effectively does require less than 100ms.

Speed does NOT, I repeat, does NOT affect ping until you get down to dial-up speeds (which is non-existent unless using an ISP like Ruralcomm). ALWAYS remember that I was using 1.5 MB to play TOR. I NEVER had issues until they started using cheap garbage equipment. When TOR launched, I was playing at 45ms. That lasted for a few years. Until they started screwing things up with their ignorance.

Just so things are clear, here are the definitions of Speed, Bandwidth, and Ping/Latency.

Bandwidth refers to the amount of information that can be transmitted over a network in a given amount of time, usually expressed in bits per second (or bps). It is often confused with speed.

Speed is the bit rate of the circuit, while bandwidth is the amount of "speed" avialable for use. As an example, a 500 Megabit service uses a 1 Gigabit connection to site would have a bandwidth of 500 Mbps and a speed of 1 Gbps.

Latency is delay. Latency is how long it takes data to travel between its source and destination, measured in milliseconds (ms).

Ping is a measure of Latency and commonly referred to as the same thing.

Here's two ways to understand latency and bandwidth.

1: The internet is like a shipping company.

Internet data is sent in packets (packages of data). Your internet provider is UPS. The packets are sent between the server and you. The further away you are from the server, the longer it will take. Your bandwidth is the box that moves the package. A bigger box (more bandwidth) will NOT get to the destination faster than a smaller one. This is why Satellite internet is bad for gaming. The data has to travel from you, to orbit, to the server, back into orbit, then to you. While it can do so at a very fast rate, the data still takes a long time going from the ground to space.

2: Long distance live news video feed.

Have you ever watched a news channel when a reporter is reporting from somewhere half-way across the world? The anchor behind the desk will ask a question, and the reporter will nod, and nod, and finally about five excruciating seconds after the anchor is done, the reporter will start to answer. That's latency.

In short: There is a very high chance nothing wrong with your internet. You will notice trouble if folks are pulling bandwidth for their streaming stuff because it's being divided up. That's when more bandwidth comes into play. If you do a speed test when someone is streaming, the test will register much lower.

One thing you can do to see this yourself and have full control over the variables, is when you are all alone, run a test with nothing but it going (don't worry about disconnecting anything from WI-FI). Then start up something like a show and/or YouTube videos in HD (multiple of something to match your room mates actions) and run the test. You should see a difference.

Since Raptr was installed.
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

This is in the afternoon before the primetime rush.  

I still fully argue that speed is important just as ping is.  I know for a fact I had great speed and thus great online experiences at my old place and at the new place not so much, it's very obvious.

Awarded:

Shawn, besides your ping, we're kind of on the same page for internet.  I haven't had any troubles, keeping in mind I'm using a hard-wired Ethernet rather than wifi.

Have you had troubles gaming, or have you just been testing the speeds?

Nwahs wrote:

This is in the afternoon before the primetime rush.  

I still fully argue that speed is important just as ping is.  I know for a fact I had great speed and thus great online experiences at my old place and at the new place not so much, it's very obvious.

Yes, bandwidth is important. But only up to a point.

Your bandwidth only allows bigger packets/ more data at a time, not less travel time. Internet is affected by distance like everything else. Once you reach a bandwidth size, it becomes completely irrelevant.

Latency/ping is simply the travel time.

Bandwidth is nothing more than the amount of data that can travel.

Bandwidth =/= speed.

If you were on a wired connection and are now using WI-FI, then yes, you will see a difference. You only have two options: Get a router that is capable of handling and distributing the bandwidth appropriately with proper firmware. Or switch back to a wired connection.

And I am interested in knowing the answer to Kayllek's question as well.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Kayllek Veran wrote:

Shawn, besides your ping, we're kind of on the same page for internet.  I haven't had any troubles, keeping in mind I'm using a hard-wired Ethernet rather than wifi.

Have you had troubles gaming, or have you just been testing the speeds?

Yeah, Overwatch was unplayable the other night and it has been very spotty.  It's probably because I'm on Wifi.  I can't go ethernet... the damn router is upstairs in the landlord's apartment.  We're in negotiations to upgrade the wifi.

Awarded:

Omg.  Now we're talking.  Because new tenants are taking my upstairs-landlord's place, he finally gave the A-ok on upgrading our router.  That's what I just got on my new AC3200 Netgear Nighthawk.  Granted, that's with just me on the network.. But I pray that with the tri-band service this thing provides, even when everyone is on the network I should be fine to keep gaming the way I have been the last 2 months while I was hard wired, and all my housemates can have the Internet they deserve.  

I won't be hardwired for now since the landlord wanted the router in a central location, but I think this will work, certainly for SWTOR and hopefully still for ranked Overwatch (image)

Oh yes. There will be a massive improvement.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Gaming and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: