Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> World of Warcraft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fud
Fudwick

re: Pax WoW Raid Mentality

If I was going to play wow again, I would have to be part of a very competitive raiding environment.  E.G. 25man Heroic and mythic later in the expansion.  Is that in the cards for Pax?

Awarded:

We are going to start with 10M Heroics, and if we can grow more, we can progress.

your toons are on Dalaran right? Ally?  I'm def going to dps on a Demon Hunter

Awarded:

yes sir, come join us.  my Battlenet is Buckwylde#1632

Awarded:

Glad you're posting this :)  Yup, goal is to start with 10mans.

I posted this in my planning thread as well, but this is the post that got me thinking about it.

For one, I know everyone wants to play Demon Hunters but remember we need class variety, so keep that in mind.  We can't have all of our DPS as demon hunters.

10/25 man heroics aren't a thing anymore.  Normal and Heroic raids scale based on how many people you have.  I believe the minimum is 10 and it scales up from there to 25 or 30 people, I can't remember what the cap is going to be for Legion.  It's actually really cool because if people drop or come online they can be seamlessly introduced to/removed from the group. That being said, in early WoD content the scaling for 10 people was pretty bad, and you usually had to add people from the LFG tool to compensate for it.

Heroic raiding is actually the "old" normal mode, while Normals are a lesser version that was previously known as "flex."  So by doing heroics, we're basically just doing normals.  

Mythic raiding is where the money's at.  A flat 20 people, meaning in reality you need 22 competent raiders giving 110% multiple days a week for several hours, with most of them having geared offspecs and alts that they are fully proficient in playing.  Mythic raiding is hard and it's a commitment, and quite frankly I don't see it in Pax's future. I don't think many people can commit to more than one or maybe two nights a week, me being one of them as my availability changes every week.  And like I said, Mythic raiding is hard.  Everyone needs to know every fight like the back of their hand, little mistakes can cause wipes, your character NEEDS to be min-maxed with full gems/enchants/etc, and everyone needs to be up to date on the current meta for their class.  "Arcane is the highest mage spec and Frost is parsing under tanks but I want to play frost," yeah no, you'll go Arcane or you're basically a wasted space.  There's a certain attitude that needs to come with hardcore/competitive raiding and Pax really doesn't have it.

Rant over, but we have to be realistic with what we're telling people.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE hardcore raiding.  I love love love love it.  There's nothing better than spending weeks on one boss and finally getting the kill.  I was hardcore for a very long time with multiple server firsts under my belt.  I did that as a main raid leader, a recruitment officer, a guild admin, and a regular raider.  I'd love to do it again, but have little to no interest in organizing it outside of some help here and there.  If someone wants to take up the reigns and recruit people to do Mythic raiding content I'm all down to try to commit to what I can, but it's a LOT of work and as I said I don't see it in the cards.

PS Those two videos were my old guild in Cataclysm, I actually made the kill video.

Morovin
Officer

I agree with Jim's post. Honestly, Normal and Heroic mode raiding is rewarding enough. Mythic is, in many cases, harder than Nightmare SWTOR raids. The people give WoW a lot of shit for being faceroll clearly haven't raided on mythic.

Also, being in a Mythic guild and having all the bright shiny gear is great, but it's a big time commitment with plenty of nights of wiping with nothing accomplished by pushing incrementally towards understanding the fight to down it within a week or two. Just ask Dom, every member from his Mythic guild I've played with have been 100% competent and their characters are very tuned to max efficiency and they've still wiped on many bosses in Mythics for weeks even after a lot of the top guilds have downed them months and months ago.

That being said, there's a lot more going into WoW's end game now than just Mythic raidings, mainly the new Mythic 5-man dungeon system, that is easier to organize and will keep people busy AND allow us to gear for possibly tackling Mythics one day, but at the outset I wouldn't pin Pax's dreams to being a Mythic guild.

And don't forget we can do the Glory of the Raider achievements on Normal/heroic, they don't require mythic and usually add some sort of extra spin to the fights.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Yeah, being a multi-gaming guild, and all our interests all over the place, and our RL availability the way it is, I wouldn't worry about Mythic for Pax.  If Mythic is your goal you may want to join a WoW raiding guild and no one will blame you as long as you stay active with Pax in other ways.

Yeah with cross realm and us having TS it'd be really easy to raid hardcore and still be part of the Pax community.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> World of Warcraft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: